Tkr tomorrow nervous

Posted , 14 users are following.

Tomorrow the big day scared nervous you name it is there anything i need to ask the surgeon in the am? And usuallt how long do you stsy in the hospitial ? Im not getting cemented so anybody had that and whats the difference?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck!! Be good to your knee rest and so what u r told to do. Lots of physio it takes time 😊

• Posted

Good luck Angie....deep breath.  It'll be over and you'll be on to the next phase.  My advice?  Fight for those pain meds if need be.  And do your best to follow exactly what your pt is suggesting.  Hang in there.  Everyone is different but we all have very similar experiences, so stay on this site.  Lots of good advice and help.  You will recover and all will be well down the road.....give it time.  

Mary Ann

• Posted

Nothing to be nervous or scared about , I had mine done 17 and 15 years ago . I was in hospital 6 days first time and 8 days second , but I think the time in hospital is much shorter now . Ask if you can have a spinal block instead of a general , the recovery time is quicker and you don't feel anything at all . I had earphones and music most of the time , the rest ot the time was talking to nurses . No sickness after and something to eat very soon after surgery .

• Posted

I always ask if everyone has gone to the bathroom and washed their hands real good.

Really, everyone is nervous to one degree or another. Have faith in your surgical team. Trying to grasp everything that will be going on in such a short period of time is very difficult. Most of the real technical stuff is beyond the understanding of the patient. Most important.....talk to the anesthesiologist.......make sure he knows of any and all medical problems or situations you might have such as breathing, allergies or problems you might have had in prior surgeries. This guy is the key.

You will be fine.....just let things flow into place and ask questions afterwards when it you see where you stand

• Posted

i did have cement and it came loose in 2 years, now having revision, what are you having instead of cement?
  • Posted

you are usually in the hospital for 2 or 3 days. then you go home and PT comes to you
  • Posted

I agree with David~ask if you can have a spinal block. I had one, and there are no after effects that you might have with general anesthesia. I asked for something so that I wouldn't hear or remember the surgery, and it worked. I was hospitalized for 2 days. Make sure that you have help when you get home, and take care of yourself. The first month is the hardest, but stay strong and know there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am 4 months post-op, and my only issue is stiffness after sitting. It's worth it Angie......wishing you the best, and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Diane

• Posted

Not to appear totally disagreeable but I have had 11 surgeries on the knee/leg and never had a semblance of nausea. On two occasions I had a full meal in recovery. They have made so many advancements in anesthesia that the old methods and drugs are out the door. Personally, in a coward and have no desire to overhear conversations, drilling, chisling and concerns of the team. Discuss options and take the route best for you based on the moment.

Sometimes abdominal surgeries are a little rougher but 6 years ago I had a 4 hour colon resection, almost bled to death and 4 days later another 4 hour surgery to take a kink out of my gut. That time I had to spend 2 days in ICU as my lungs couldn't keep up with my oxygen needs and again no hang over from the anaesthetic. Modern medicine has taken a lot of the old fears out of surgery. Dr's will generally tell you the 2 biggest fears with knee replacement:infection and blood clots.. Good luck, you'll do fime, I'm sure.

A friend of mine had a brother in law who was an ortho surgeon out in the Pacific northwest. After he retired he needed a tor and wanted to stay awake and watch.......that's when the surgeon said not only no but hell no.

• Posted

I agree that spinal is the way to go, it is what I chose last week when I had my right knee done, I did not hear a thing and am progressing well with home PT. I am three weeks out from the left knee and plan to do the same.  I was just as nervous, but it will be fine.  Good luck!
    • Posted

I'm 12 weeks post op of LTKA  In have always had pain especially when walking and a tourniquet feeling around the knee after 5-10 min of walking. More specifically, the majority of my pain is in the inner medial knee area but extends a little above and below the knee. Does anyone know if this is a normal time frame for healing ? I also have a "moderate" bone cement allergy, meaning I had a slight contact dermatitis reaction and have worn acrylic nails frequently with no reaction.

Thanks for anyone's response ?

• Posted

Good luck Angie, it is a huge challenge but worth it. Follow Chico's link and advice above, it is faultless. Turn to the forum for support and advice, I couldn't get through without it. Thinking of you today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.