TKR - with spinal & nerve block

Posted , 10 users are following.

8weeks out, and knee is doing well, but the nerve block was messed up, the nerve was severed, and my leg from the knee down is numb! Now my foot feels like it is burning , and there are now electric shocks that happen. The dr. Who performed the nerve block has even called me at home to see how I am doing. The medicine my surgeon wants me to try is Lyrica, but am having trouble getting it.  This whole process is depressing.

1 like, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Elaine

Firstly may I express my empathy to you.I was very sorry to hear about your experience.

Do you know which medications you were prescribed? did you have any antibiotics at all.

May I ask you why you are unable to get the Lyrica?

Try not to get btoodown about this.

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean,

The Dr. was suppose to check with my insurance company , 2days ago, I have been calling him, but so far nothing.  He also told me there were no side effects. Getting tied of sleeping on lounge chair.

Elaine

• Posted

Elaine

Sorry Imeant tomask you if you knew the name of the drug that was used in the nerve block?

Jean

• Posted

Lyrica caused cortical myoclonus in me with myoclons jerks.
  • Posted

Lyrics is widely used for nerve pain. Originally it was a drug for fibromyalgia then nerve damage due to diabetes. Due to the damage caused by several surgeries and radiation I used it for a bout a year 8-9 years ago. It is kind of a time release product. Not sure why you are having trouble getting it as its been on the market More than 10 years. I'm in the US and its kind of expensive so insurance companies try to get drs to prescribe gabrepentin 1st. Hope it helps. It did a pretty good job and I had no side effects.
    • Posted

Really strange about side effects of drugs. The only side effect I had was weight gain but had the same problem with naprosin. On the other hand I look like a giant red blotch with one dose of bactrim and a drug called vybramycin. Lips, tounge and ears puff up like a balloon and my throat swells shut. I had taken it several times with no problems and then it almost killed me.
    • Posted

I live in the. US also, and it has to do with my insurance company.  I just want to be able to put shoes on, and get back in my cloths, and get back in my bed.
  • Posted

Elaine, so sorry to hear about those issues! I get cramping on the outside of my foot and in my calf, but nothing as rough as what you describe

My heart goes out to you and I hope you get relief soon!

• Posted

Debz13, 

thank you, you, I am really getting quie irritated with this.  My knee is affected in that I can not do all my pt, because of the nerve pain.  I go to Albright College to their gym, and do as much as I can.  I can not have anything touch my leg, such as sheets, cloths, shoes, it is so sensitive .

Elaine

• Posted

Elaine,

I really understand about not standing to have anything touch your leg. I am the same way about my scar area. I even discovered the other day that having the wind blow on it was just as bad. I am in shorts at home and wearing skirts at work (so NOT me LOL). When I sit down I have to pull the skirt up above my knee. Also have to have my leg outside bed coverings. And I didn't have the same issues, so I can only imagine how horrible it must be!

I am grateful that while often difficult, I am able to do my PT exercises.

Please continue to update us on your progress.

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Have you tried massaging the area gently with E45 cream?

• Posted

Hi Elaine, don't despair. Number one don't feel things won't improve. After surgery the nerves get traumatized. I had a similar problem after varicose vein stripping on my leg. Don't blame the doc that did the spinal. He wouldn't cause a problem from only knee down in my opinion.Hope you get relief quickly. Irritated nerves seem to take along time to resolve. 

• Posted

Did you get the same signs and symptoms?

How long did it take for you to recover?

Jean

• Posted

Hi, 

The Dr. that did the spinal, came to see me everyday, and told me when they did the nerve block, he thinks the nerve tore, said this is rare.  He has Evan called me at the house to see if there was any improvement.  That is unusual, he also said it could take a year or more to have it grow back.

Elaine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.