To all Granuloma Annulare sufferers - what else is going on?

Posted , 91 users are following.

I have GA for 8 years - we all know that this skin disease itself is not painful however I want to know if other things are going on within your body? 

I, personally, have issues with toe and leg cramps and nerve pain. Is this related or something else all together?

If you could please share your personal experience, I believe we need all info to assist each other.

Thanks,

Carole

6 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I have leg cramps as well. I got it to go away with Chinese Herbs, but now it has raised its ugly head and I have had to double my dose of herbs and it is subsiding again, but who knows for how long. I seem to be building up an imunity to having the medicine work anymore. This time I am not going off the meds when it clears....
    • Edited

I have it as well and mine started when my mother passed on and straight away I went into menopause.  It started with these 5 or 6 tiny little rash I noticed while I was driving about six months after.  The doctor had put me on a very mild hormone treatment as I couldn't sleep.   I stopped them a month after my mum passed on. 

Went to my doctor and diagnosed GA.  I have tried everything, nothing really helped.  The only thing that helped was silk argan oil morning and night and it would stop itching after two days.  Whenever I get really stressed out, out pops it's ugly head,   stomach, lower abdoman, head.   I have had it on my arns' hands, neck, shoulders and chest. All over the lower body.    It has been 14 years and it is driving me crazy.  I was told to put cold compress on it and that does stop the itching.   I am on anti depressants and other medications.  It is supposed to stay for one or two years and then dies down.  But the doctors told me mine hasn't died off.  I don't know what I am feeding it but I suppose it is stress.  I am going to try to see a psychologist to control the stress others are giving me as I a few friends who ring every day with their problems and I try not to let it effect me but I think it does.

i also think my immune system has gone right down.

i hope we all can figure this out, as this is quite depressing and stressful.

good luck and God bless.

• Edited

Yes...read one of my earlier emails...when my mom died and I broke u[ with someone near the same time...almost 5 years ago....now it's flared up again...and now a new one on my ankle..and top of my foot feels like a sunburn...

I really think it's stress that's killing our immunity                                                

Also, I'm 67

• Posted

Hi antoinette,  GA doesn’t usually itch.  It is possible you may have another skin condition like Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH), which is often misdiagnosed.  It is caused by eating gluten, may look similar to GA, and is extremely itchy.  Have you been tested for gluten sensitivity?
    • Posted

Hi! Mine didn't itch at first. I've had GA for a year now and it's spreading all over my legs and is now itching and also hurts when I bump it. I've had a biopsy and it's confirmed GA. I notice when I put any antifungal cream or spray on it that it itches like crazy the next day. So weird.
    • Edited

Hi. I disagree. I just got diagnosed with Generalized Ganuloma Annulare and everything I have read on it states very clearly that it can itch. It may not for some or even most but it is entirely possible.
    • Posted

I'm using corticosteroid cream 2x day (for 2 wks) and it doesn't itch until it's time to put the cream on again. Then I put it on again and it doesn't itch. Will see what happens when I taper off the steriod cream.

• Posted

I haven't had itching due to ga . I sympathize. Similar to the comment below from 5 years ago, I am on low dose synthroid. My doctor said its not thyroid related but I dont think he really knows as no one seems to have a grip on this disease.

I have accepted and learned to live with it. I dont allow it to stop me from wearing bathing suit etc but I do feel embarrassed to have red blotches all over my legs, arms and torso.

Im about to retire and Im curious if reduced stress will help.

• Posted

I think it's viral or bacterial. Have you tried the antibiotic treatments?

• Posted

Just a quick FYI that my GA did itch and it was twice confirmed by biopsy to be GA. I think different people have different ranges of symptoms, as with most autoimmune diseases. I continue to be in remission through today using MSM Sulfur crystals (I did a lengthy post a year ago explaining-check my post history). If I miss my Sulfur for several days (plain old forgetfulness) I sometimes feel the itching start back up. Good luck to all-this is a truly maddening and mysterious disease.

• Posted

Betacorten G cream helps for me: antibiotic/corticosteroid (anti-inflammatory)

• Posted

I took a course of antibiotics a few years ago and it helped my GA. Needless to say it slowly came back after the 5 day course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.