To take or not to take?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a prescription for Metronidazole but since looking at the posts on this forum I don't feel inclined to pick it up.  I don't like taking antibiotics as it is, as they always cause me problems e.g. upset stomach.  My doctor told me to come to this site to read about VB but then I looked at the information about the drug.  I am sure that I will be better off not taking it and seeing if the problem clears by itself.  If Metronidazole it so bad, why do they prescribe it?  Does anyone have good experiences after taking this?  confused 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You can try them for a couple of days see how you go if not try and get Amoxicillin instead .Don't try to go without because you might make things worse
    • Posted

Can't take Amoxicillin!  Unfortunately I can't take penicillin I started to have a reation to it some years ago.  Thanks anyway.
    • Posted

Hi I am the same I have been prescribed this Metronidazole but dont want it - I am alergic to penicillin, there must be something else.  I was given Trimethoprim last year for a water infection and it was fine.  I wonder if this can help you.  It was a real bad infection and cleared it up straight away.
  • Posted

Hi Jean.Ann

I was prescribed this for a tooth infection which showed up on x-ray last summer. The course lasted five days and I had no side effects I was aware of. It must have worked because when I saw another dentist a week later the infection was gone - big relief as I really didn't want a root canal because of the long term possible effects on health.

I did make sure to take high strength probiotic afterwards. I have a very sensitive stomach (chronic gastritis which comes and goes), from too many NSAIDS over the years and try to keep medications to an absolute minimum.

hope this helps, and good luck!

• Posted

It is nice to know that not everyone has these awful side effects.  biggrin  On the other hand, I was not aware that root canal work could be detrimental to health!  I had this some years ago but the dentist never said anything about side affects sad
    • Posted

The Dentist never said nothing to me either After 2 days of taking them antibiotics I felt dizzy so I went back to the Dentist to change to Amoxicillin
  • Posted

Dentists will reassure you that root canals are safe, and for most people they probably are, but I have a long term autoimmune condition and after quite a lot of research I had some doubts. If you are interested in natural 'antibiotics' you might like to google olive leaf extract and colloidal silver.
  • Posted

I've been taking it for 3 days and feel like crap.  Nausea, dizziness, headache, it feels like a terrible hangover.  No wonder you can't drink on it.  I want to stop taking it, but the bottle warns not to.  
  • Posted

Hi Jean

I have been on 10 day course of 4x400mg. My doctor told me I wouldn't feel too great but I have felt absolutely terrible.  Dizzy, Nauseous, can't concentrate, ache all over and slept loads, I feel like I have lost 10 days.  This medicine shouldn't be taken lightly and this was the most effective one to treat me so I had no option.  If you do decide to take it I suggest resting. Good luck.

• Posted

My experiences of Metronidazole have mostly been negative - it clears out all your good bacteria and it always left me with thrush & candida problems. I have also experienced a worsening of neurological & skin problems (I have Parkinson's disease). Flucanozole isn't much better - try some herbal remedies - I went to a Kinesiologist for digestive issues which helped. You never know it might help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.