Today is the day!!!!!

Posted , 16 users are following.

I hope it's the beginning of a new healthier life. I have lost 81lbs this last yr with no exercise, I want to exercise now that I have a new hip and continue with this journey!!!! I AM FREAKING OUT!!!!

4 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Erika, you will be fine! I know its nerve wracking but think to the future doesnt matter how long it takes YOU WILL GET THERE !

And well done on your amazing weight loss!!

Xxx

• Posted

You will be fine we'll be here when you feel well enough to come back on the forum. Bet you'll say it wasn't so bad after all, we all do. Then the road to recovery is on it's way with our help.

Love Gillxx

• Posted

Yes!! Thank you Gill.... Hope to be back soon
  • Posted

Fabulous weight loss. Well done!! This is the start of great things for you!
  • Posted

Great weight loss there - I managed 70 pounds in 18 months for the op too.

Freak out if you want to - you'll be a new girl after the operation.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Well done, Erika! GREAT job on the weight loss. Wishing you well - this is the safe place you can land when you get on the other side. Aloha
  • Posted

Hi erika,  

Checking in with you !!!!   How are you sweetheart -

love to hear from you 

big warm hug

renee

P.S.no need to response if you already started a new discussion - 

• Posted

Hi Erika,

​It looks like we had our hips done on the same day (4/5).  I hope yours went well.  Mine was successful as far as I am aware (just back from x-ray) and I have started my physio smile

David.

• Posted

Hi David and Erika, I had mine last Wednesday too. How're you both getting on? I'm on two sticks, stiff and a bit sore (and stir crazy already). Take care, Fiona xx
    • Posted

Hi Fiona!! I am very blessed. I am out and about using a walker. Today is my first day of physical therapy but I have been doing exercises so hopefully it goes well. I have no pain but I have been taking my meds consistently. I hope you are well too!!
    • Posted

Great to see you back here, Erika, and it sound like you are doing well!
    • Posted

Saw my physical therapist today, 5 days post op, ouch!!! He wanted to see me walk with no walker or cane, I was very nervous but not bad at all!! A bit unsteady and scared. Thank you
    • Posted

That is VERY good, Erika! Son was walking ASAP. I think he didn't want the nurse to see him using the urinal, so he actually forgot to use the walker. 
    • Posted

Yeah I am very blessed I hope my recovery stays on this path. Glad to hear your son is doing well also.
    • Posted

Hi Erika, 

wow girl !!! you are doing great .... 

I am not sure about the walking without walker or cane though - seems a bit early in the game to me - unless you had anterior approach - with first THR I was encouraged to walk without walker inside the house when a week post-op - with 2nd one he wanted me to use walker until I saw surgeon at follow up appointment - On hindsight I think to  wait until you can walk with confidence, balance and no limp - just listen to your body and make sure you walk correctly - 

angel blessings 

renee

• Posted

Yes Renee, I totally agree!! I am a bit to wobbly to go without a walker but the physical therapist really pushed to it. I did not have the anterior. I have been using the walker and cane here at home. I see the surgeon Friday and I wonder what he will say about it. Thanks dear!!
    • Posted

Mahalo Erika. Son said his hip just hawked a lugie - bad surprise after 8 weeks. And now he'll need attention to his other hip. Yes, he's frustrated about it.
    • Posted

Noooooo!!! sad what happened? Had he ever had issues with the other hip?
    • Posted

Erika - this is one of the very first questions I asked here. Unfortunately it's usually both hips that are affected by Avascular necrosis. So son is depressed & frustrated at this happening so soon.

Sounds like YOU are doing so wonderfully, Erika. How are you?

• Posted

You know I almost feel bad saying that I am doing well because you wish that for all the fellow hippies out there! I am doing well though. Trying to learn to walk right again. Therapist says I am thinking about it and making myself walk funny. I am regaining strength quickly and not a lot of pain. I need to get j to a better routine of walking. I see the silurgeon today for my first follow up and my surgery wa on May 4th. We will see what he says smile thank you
    • Posted

Oh no,erika,please don't ever feel that way..

it is great that you are doing so good ....

yeah, to learn how to walk properly is a bit of a challenge. ..

wow, that is soon .,usually staples are removed 14 days post-op and follow up appointment at around 6 weeks. .

angel blessings

renee 💙

• Posted

Yes this surgeon is very particular. He is seeing me today and again next Friday.
    • Posted

That is so good to hear for a change. ..

Please let us know what he says. ..

• Posted

How could I not be happy you're doing so well? We want to be truthful on this forum because that's how we learn from each other.

Son had staples out ten days after surgery & was glad to have the attention from the orthopedic assistant & ask her lots of questions.

Erika, looking forward to your update.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Well he says everything is progressing as it should. My scare is healing well and I have to use the cane only now. He asked me if I wanted to go back to work on Monday but Nooooo I am not ready, I walk too much at work and don't feel I am completely balanced yet. I plan on going back to work middle of June.

Thanks Renee.... Always such a caring soul here!!!

• Posted

Mahalo for caring, did I use that correctly? I am doing very well. I hope your son gets past the second medical intervention and is back to living life to the fullest on one of the most beautiful places in this world.

Erika

• Posted

Yes, Erika - mahalo means thank you. I really appreciate your kind words about my son. He just told me it's so ironic he now has to depend on the operated hip, as the other is hurting more. It's his goal to have another THR as soon as possible so he can move forward.

Erika, have you been to Hawaii? I just got home last night. I'm worried that son is on his own for now, but this is home for me.

You are really doing well at about 6 weeks - I'm sure the weight loss helped. I'll check back with you.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

My surgery was may 4th so it as been 10 days....

Tough for a mom... My mom worries a lot about me too. She is happy to see me doing better and no longer on so much pain.

Aloha Erika

• Posted

It is so difficult when you have children to care for, I have two and was looking after them full time from 3 weeks so I completely sympathise. I was still on two crutches and could not cook or do very much... but we get through it lovely, we get through it, and every day it gets a bit easier.
    • Posted

I can't imagine full time. Mine are older now so I don't have any babies to care for. I actually find my son to being over his baby because it gives an incentive to get up and move around and not become lazy. When you only have yourself to care for it's really easy to do.
    • Posted

Erika - so sorry I'm so easily confused! I'm still jet-lagged is my excuse!

It's fabulous you are doing so very well, Erika.

Son will fly here tomorrow. Can't wait to see him & help him.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Mahalo, Renee. I'm still recovering from eleven+ hours of travel. It's 2am here - sleep cycle obviously off.

I posted photos en route & had funny, friendly responses from friends. And even more when I got home!

I have to get used to the temperatures being 20° hotter, too!

Hoping you are doing better?

Aloha, Soos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.