toe fusion

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my 5 week check up and x rays today after having big toe fusion on Nov. 20th. My DR said the bone is just starting to fuse. I am wearing the orthopedic boot and can't wait to get out of it after 6 weeks, he said I can try a shoe on Dec. 31.

It does take a lot of patience for an active person like me who loves to hike and walk everyday. The worst seems to be that my other leg is hurting from walking so weird with the boot.

I hope it is all worth while in time!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I will say a prayer that your bone heals.  I just went to the doctor yesterday and am scheduled to have the surgery Feb 25.  After a lot of thought, I am opting not for the fusion but for the more conservative approach.....having the bunion and cutting some of the soft tissue to free up the toe (called the McBride procedure).  I  know that there is a chance that the bunion may come back with this procedure, but I am concerned about the bone not healing as my bones are on the edge of osteoporosis.  I am doing all kinds of walking to try to prevent the osteoporosis so I am concerned about not walking for so long and like you, walking funny and hurting my back or something else.

Good luck to you.  Keep me posted on how you are doing.

• Posted

I had my fusion 6 weeks ago and it is healing great on Monday I was told I could ditch the boot.

I do however have a problem in that my hospital outsourced the op from another hospital ( great hospital wish it was my main one) and they only requested the bunion toe was done so even though the surgeon wanted to do the hammer toes he couldn't so now I have fantastic big toe but can't walk because the hammer toes curl under my foot meaning , now they don't have 'lift' from the bunion, that every step is agony.

I do recall the podiatrist at main Hosp saying the toes would probably straighten when bunion went and thinking to myself that she was a dreamer....

Now waiting appointment for the non magical hammer toes to be sorted then my other foot...gonna be a long road I am trying work out how to post photo .

• Posted

May I ask what it's like to have a big toe fusion.. Does it feel strange? Can you call ok? My consultant wants me to have mine done after my first operation failed due to me falling and breaking my toe.. If I have this done I will have the first two toes fused and I'm scared I won't like not being able to bend it. Xx
    • Posted

Sorry late reply I haven't really missed the joint not flexing and I am 100% convinced that the big toe still provides a balancing service as I am always coming close to falling as my reflexes respond to pain from my other toes when I am walking and somehow even though it is fused the big toe saves the day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.