Toe nail problem

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this and was wondering if anyone had any advice please..

15 months ago I dropped a heavy mirror on my toe, it was bruised the nail stayed on for about 4 months and then came loose and dropped off.

Underneath there was a small nail already starting to grow, which over the past year grew but th nail was discoloured and quite tender, so i saw the GP who prescribed me a 6 month course of tablets Terbinafine which i have been taking for over a year with no improvement, i soak my feet every day with bicarbonate soda to keep it clean etc. Half the nail is dead so i cut it back but it looks as if something is growing underneath, its growing upwards. I am unable to get rid of whatever it is underneath. Ive attached a picture if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks in advance.  

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Terbinafine is an anti fungal, so you probably to not have a fungal infection so it will not be much good. I must admit the best thing I ever did was go to a chiropodist who is brilliant. She is also a podiatrist. She cost thirty five pounds and sorted out the nasty pain I was having. I wish I had gone to her a long time before. 
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, 

I had a toe nail that looked very similar to yours. Actually mine looked much worse. The whole nail was white and brittle.

This is what worked for me:

Every evening I would make a 'small sock' by cutting of the finger part of a disposable glove. (I works best with the non-latex ones.) I would cut it just big enough to fit over the toe. Then I would squirt a small amount of antifungal cream into the 'sock' and pull it over the toe.  The nail should be just covered with cream. To fix the sock I used micro-porous tape ( a plaster will also work fine). 

By soaking the nail in cream overnight the affected part of the nail becomes soft and can be gently scraped away.  I used this method until the nail grew back smooth and pink. Be warned it will take months. But you will have the satisfaction of removing a lot of the unsightly, crumbly bit of the nail. 

(Caution: Do not fix the latex 'sock' too tight. And if you notice any irritation discontinue the use of this method. )

Btw. I used Lamisil, an antifungal cream containg Terbinafine. It will work with any cream that fights the nail infection you've got. 

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

This doesnt look like yellow nail syndrome. even though the nail has the thickness. i would ask your doctor if it would be possible to see a dermatoligist who should be able to diagnose your symptom for you on a proffessional basis. as your nail still looks white. another sign for the yns is that the nail only grow from the bottom and not the sides which enables it to keep dropping of as it grows again. good luck with this and please let us know how you get on.

Debbie (101 dalmation).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.