Toe surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey there I just had mallet toe surgery yesterday with the k wire installed, i had local anaestheic with sedative for some reason nobody at the hospital instructed me to do the 'heel' walk which should have been common sense on my part, anyhow I was released 3 hours post op around 4pm and was still numb on the foot and toes and did a little bit of regular walking (oops)and later noticed some bleeding from the stitches area not the wire area. Now I see the blood inside my dressing may have dried onto my stitches. Is there any reason to be alarmed so to speak or is this kinda somewhat normal? I don't want to call the doc unless I have to. Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Bleeding is normal after surgery due to swelling . I had surgery on my 1st metatarsal three weeks ago and had some bleeding for a couple days afterwards. My local anesthetic didn't wear off until the next day and that's when the pain really set in. Keep off your foot and elevated above your chest .. it makes the recovery a lot easier !

• Posted

Thanks. Do you think the blood and gauze stuck to my stitches is reason to be concerned?
    • Posted

I wouldn't be concerned . Mine was stuck to mine at my post op follow up and my surgeon changed my dressing and all was good !

• Posted

Nope. Getting the stitches out was the worst part because it was so tender
    • Posted

Thank you. Been taking 2 extra strength Tylenol, seems to hold most of the pain off. Wears off every 4 hours, and just took a t3 its like I didn't take anything at all. Strange.

• Posted

Make sure you ice a lot , helps with the pain . The first 3-4 days for me was the worst .
    • Posted

one caution, acetaminophen should not be dosed closer than 6 hours to give time for it to clear the liver
  • Posted

You should have been given a Herman Munster wooden surgical shoe to wear. The shoe protects the foot. Because we walk on our foot, a small amount of blood is normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.