Told I might have Cushings. Got questions.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Based on a blood test showing low ACTH and some Cushings-like symptoms, endocrinologist told me that Cushings could not be ruled out. What does this mean?  What else could it be?  What's the next step?  If it is Cushings, does low ACTH mean it's an adrenal tumor?  Could it be caused by recent cortisone shots for injuries? I've had about 9 injections in the last 7 years, including four in the last two years.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely. If the ACTH is low, then probably rules out an Pituitary Adenoma, meaning that the ACTH is responding to a high corisol level. If you were taking injections, it could cause this higher cortisol level or could be a Adrenal tumor. 

Have you stopped the injections to rule out? 

• Posted

Thanks. Yes, Iast injection was in March.  These aren't regular injections.  As I said, it's been about 8 over a 9-year period and three in the last 12 months.  Is this enough to cause Cushing's?  All of these were in thumb.
    • Posted

I don't believe so, but if you took the last injection shortly before you took the test, then that could be a problem with the results. Personally, I like a 24 hour UFC. What was the exact ACTH  and Serum Cortisol numbers you had, early morning fasted? 

There are no other steroidal medications, other than those injections? 

• Posted

ACTH was early morning, but not fasting.  Serum cortisol has not yet been done.  

No other steroidal medications.  There were actually only two in the last twelve months:  one is November, 2015 and one in March 2016.   Cushings-like symptoms have been going on since January 2010.  Test was in April 2016.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.