Tomorrow is the big day!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi fellow hippies,

I will be having a RTHR tomorrow(Monday).  Been working on being calm and carrying on.  Hopeful all will go well.  Been reading all of your encouraging posts.  I have IBS and am worried about having diarrhea  pre op as I usually do in the mornings and have an early surgery. Also anxiety ramps it up.  Has anyone else had this problem? Have been  eating a bland diet to keep things as quiet as possible.

Also can you say more about wedge pillows ( found one on line- a full body wedge-one piece for upper body, one for under knees and one for feet-can be used individually or together).  Also review the use of lots of pillows. I have a temperpedic mattress topper and can sleep ok on my back at times.  Usually a side sleeper. Also I hurt my back swimming a couple of weeks ago and now sometimes get sciatica type pain down both my legs especially in bed on my back.  Hoping this will subside when my hip is fixed and my pelvis and everything else goes back into place.  Sorry to be going on and one.  This is the scariest thing I've ever had to do. Been putting it off for 5 years and now can barely walk, move etc. Have lots of problems with drug reactions and was fearful of anesthesia and pain meds etc.

Also this has been one of the hardest weeks of my life.  My oldest, dearest friend Anne Burns passed away suddenly from a pulmonary ebolism. I had to write her name because I am still in disbelief. I'm trying accept the reality of my world with her not in it.   I have cried everyday and still am in shock. I am hopng she wlll be watching over me during the surgery.  Thanks for being such great support for each other and I look forward to checking in with you post op.

Jeanne(aka Sally, or Nanajeanne)   

4 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Jeanne from Australia,

I am 4 weeks post RTHR and for me too it was the biggest thing I'd ever faced health wise. On the day I felt unexpetadly calm. I was so immobile I knew there was no other alternative.

All I can say is you will not regret it. Yes it will tough but you will find great support here from all round the world form people in all different but similar situations.

I wish you well and look forward to hearing more.....

🌈💌🌈💌

• Posted

Hi Sally,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend Anne dying, at this time when you are already going thru so much stress this was the last thing you needed, and of course you will not have her there physically to give you support, but I'm sure she will be there in spirit.

I also have ABS, and trust me it's the last thing you should be worried about pre opp. just get the opp. done and worry about the other stuff afterwards, in any case they will give you meds to calm you down before the main event, are you have an spinal? or a GA?, do you have family or a husband /partner to be with you?I know it's scary, bur seriously you have made the right decision, like you I was in unbearable pain, my life was on hold, and I had such a full and varied life before the dreaded OA, so now 5 days after my 2nd hip, I'm feeling pisitive, and so will you, we are all here for you, day or night ther's always one of us here, as for the sleep wedges, I use a giant *U* pregnancy pillow it works great for me, hope this helps, sending you all the luck and love,

Lynne xx

• Posted

Lynne, 

Thank you so much for your kind support.

It is very sad to not have Anne here physically but as you said she will be there in spirit. I am very lucky to have a loving husband and family to help me through this difficult time.

I am having a spinal with light sedation(Propothol and Versed).  Might prefer no sedation but don't think they will do that at this hospital. The surgeon has been great and everyone else I have seen so far has been very supportive. Sooo-

Time to let go and have faith that all will go wonderfully well.

Thanks for the pillow advice, luck and love.

Jeanne

• Posted

Thank you Georgie for your support and well wishes.   I hope I will have that same calm feeling as you did. Its so amazing to have support from all over the world.  This is the best forum.  I checked one out in the US but didn't like it as well.  I am in North Carolina. Will keep you updated.  
  • Posted

hi sally

I was like you never been to hospital ever and at 62 years had the left hip operation. all I can say it was so much better than I imagined and wished I had done it earlier.

you wont regret it.

re pillows.  I had to sleep on my back and only way I could do it was with a wedge pillow at my head with pillow on top and pillow behind my knees.  That was comfortable and 8 weeks on now removed everything except the pillow behind my knees.  I still need that as still more comfortable on my back.  good luck maggie

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your support.  I am 66 and have never had a surgery. Thought I would make it to my 90's like my parents without having to go to hospital.   Delivered my son 46 years ago and it was a harrowing experience due to problems with anesthesia.  Thank goodness from all I hear current anesthesia is quite different than back then.  Hoping for a  much better outcome.

I will get a wedge pillow today and try the pillows behind my knees.  Thanks for the good advice.

• Posted

The best is to get different sized pillowes. some more puffy, some more flat.

I have a nice pillow that has soft beads inside. It's smaller, not a bed pillow.

Go on USA Amazon and search for

2pc - Air Infused Micro Bead Cloud Pillow

This would be a really great pillow. One reviewer wrote that it is 12 inches wide, that is about like mine but mine is round. Sometimes you want just a little pillow to put under a knee or but cheek, and you don't want a huge pillow. I would get this one if I were in USA. The pillow with beads in them are really helpful as you can kind of mush up the pillow & it doesn't go flat because there are soft beads inside. It is hard for me to describe I guess you have to try it.

• Posted

Good luck jeanne, i am on the list so trying to forget about it. You will like every one here be giving me advice when it's my turn. 

Sue xx

• Posted

Thanks Sue.  Will definitely be happy to support you when its your turn. Actually feeling calmer than I anticipated today.  A month ago I was much more anxious.  I think at the end you just have to let go and trust the process.

Jeanne xx

• Posted

Due to a lot of things not on list until October doctor told me to go and enjoy the summer all I keep thinking about is my stupid hip and what is going to happen, thank god for this family at least when it does I will have support and knowledge, read through what others have said it will help a lot and thank you for your support when I need it. Good luck, I will be thinking of u

you.

sue

• Posted

It hard to focus on anything else sometimes. I know that truly this moment is the only one we have but its  quite easy to forget and be anxious about what's coming. Hope you enjoy the day today.  Will keep you posted.

Jeanne

• Posted

hi sally

blessy you and  you have really helped me here as im waiting and scared,   'we can'  sally

me too   had pain nearly 5 years  we need to get this done and dusted,  no op ever and my fear is anasthetic  butcan probably avoid that  (myst be allabout having control)   though did have bad dnetal experience at age t so may be from that

anyway  thinking of you and it will soon beover   so sorry to hear about Anne  I know she will want you chipper and yes  she will be right there for you I am sure of this

love and hug    pauline  -   keep posting    you are in right place,   actually a little envious  but  so pleased you will be out of this  soon

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

Thanks for your blessings and support.  

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" (Anais Nin). This  quote has helped me feel more courageous lately.  I hope it helps you too.  When is your surgery date?

Hugs, 

Jeanne

Jeanne

• Posted

Hi Sally

I'm so sorry you've lost your dear friend Anne at this time. She will undoubtedly watch over your surgery in spirit!  Good luck - it really is the way to go!!   I've spent 13 years on and off in pain and the last couple losing my 'quality of life' to grinding OA pain.  My LTHR was my biggest op and event of my medical life and I suffer with gastritis so understand your IBS concerns. It frankly is a relief to get to that moment of 'letting go' to start a new chapter of your life.  I'm glad to have a new 'bionic' hip at 44 cheesygrin

Juliet x

• Posted

Hi Juliet,

Thanks so much for your support.  I can't wait to be done with the surgery and start the healing process  knowing the pain will lessen rather than keep on increasing. Will be happy to be one of the bonafide

bionic hippies.

Hugs,

Jeanne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.