Tongue biopsy- can anyone tell me about their experiences

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had two tongue biopsies on Tuesday.

I have been continuing to take regular pain killers up until now. I am not able to eat or talk properly yet .

It is now day 5 and I believe a stitch burst last night.

It's a bit more comfortable today.

What are your experiences?

I have been off work since Tuesday.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny. I have also had 2 tongue biopsies on separate occasions. The first one was a nightmare. The doctor was brutal. He just stuck the needle straight into my ulcer without anaesthetic and I passed out. Mt stitches fell out within 2 days and it took a long time to heal.

2nd time different hospital. Doctor knew how traumatised I was and was amazing. I never felt a thing. Again though the stitches fell out within a couple of days.

On both occasions it took a while to heal. I was given steroid mouthwash. Also told to live on soup and milkshakes for a couple of days and rince with salt water. I still have the scars. Each one the size of a pea. They don't trouble me.

I hope that you feel better soon and don't have to wait too long for your diagnosis.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your information which I have just received.

I ended up with pain in my ears and a terrible headache and eventually ended up on antibiotics. Almost 2 weeks to return to normal.

I also felt the Dr had been over zealous!

I wouldn't want to go through that again.

What did your biopsies tell you? Could you share that information?

Jenny

• Posted

Hi JennyDB' sorry you are struggling and hope you feel much better soon. I had one tongue biopsy 2 years ago now. I told the doctor I was nervous and frightened and he was really good with me. I had 2 stitches, both dissolving stitches and one fell out the next day, the other a couple of days later. Like Soocee I was on milk, soups, rice pudding for about a week, but the tongue is amazing and does heal really quickly. I still have a mark where the 

biopsy was done and if I eat things which irritate OLP like sugar, spices etc it gets me there first feeling sore and burning. So I know what to avoid as much as possible. I think also when you have procedures like this you can never underestimate  how much your body feels traumatised, so rest, go steady and you will know yourself when you feel OK to go back to work. The good thing about this group is the support and identification with others who have the same condition with the same or similar symptoms so we aren't on our own. Salt mouthwash is what I used at that time. Now I use any non alcohol content mouthwash after brushing my teeth every time and feel that helps too. But I was nervous about brushing my teeth while having the stitches in my tongue, so doing salt washes helps keep your mouth as clean as it can be during this time. Hope this helps. Try to keep positive and take good care X

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

It is comforting to hear other people have had experiences similar to me.

My stitches- about 5 in total- one burst 4 days later and 2 came out 11 days later. I am not sure what happened to the rest.

Your words of try to keep positive are important because one day I felt really down- how pain can drag you down so quickly.

Much appreciated. Jenny

• Posted

Hi Jenny, glad it was helpful. oLP is a bit of a roller coaster. Mine has been not too bad  fora while and then the last week it's been bad again. It's just helpful to know others are going through or have been through what we are. Take care, Gailx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.