Tongue swollen

Posted , 4 users are following.

Following a recent episode of severe diarrhoea & vomiting  [u]HALF[/u] of my tongue became swollen with some difficulty in swallowing and talking which was very alarming. The GP prescribed prednisoline and fexofenadine. The swelling subsided after a few hours but for about 24 hours I experienced some tingling.  I have previously experienced temporary swelling of my lips and surrounding tissue. What advice does anyone have

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Jo, that sounds awful!! sad

That's good that you had relief and maybe the residual tingling is just your tongue returning to normal...But, did the GP not refer you for allergy testing?

I'd say you need to get in-depth testing done so that you know what to avoid so this doesn't happen again in the future...especially since your reactions have increased in severity!  Keep a food log/journal for your own sake, but also see an allergist. You should carry an auto-injector with epinepherine where ever you go. If the other half of your tongue should swell, too, that could block your airway and make breathing difficult. I think you were right to be alarmed.  (And the rest of your reaction was unpleasant enough - it sounds like classic food allergies!)

Good luck!!

• Posted

well, I'm wondering if you could tell us what did you eat when it happened?!

could be an allergy or an intolerance as well.

I don't know a lot about several allergies but I know a lot about a histamine intolerance. A swolling tounge as itself could be a symptom being sensitive to histamine. As aveline already said, you should see an allergist for serveral tests and if it's really histamine, you should try Daosin!

And you really should keep a food log, it makes it easier for the allergist! So let him know you got sth like that.

• Posted

Hi Jo

I'm allergic to kiwi and pine nuts/pesto as well as certain drugs and have had quite a few episodes of swollen tongues, eyes, lips and face.

Usually resolved with antihistamines and steroids but was admitted to hospital 4 times with anaphylaxis  for IV therapy and oxygen/nebulisers. I carry epipens.

I advise you to insist on a referral to an allergy unit for testing.

Half a tongue swelling isnt too drastic but the next time could be worse.

Good lucksmile

• Posted

did you try daosin? maybe it's gonna work out for you as well. smile

May u ask your allergist if histamine supplements could avoid your allergic reaction and you can eat everything without having these problemes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.