Tonsillitis 8-10 times a year??!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I recently got sick AGAIN. I just woke up on a Monday, got ready to go to work, felt my throat a bit sore. So I got the torch of my phone and checked my throat in the mirror. My right tonsil had an ulcer on it. This was at about 6am. By 11am, they were swollen, covered in white spots and more ulcers. I had fever and work sent me home. This is something happens very often to me and it's just really irritating. I also have holes in my tonsils. Does that contribute to the amount of times I get tonsillitis?

Between january to may, I had gotten it about 6 times. I've even gotten it from home.. I spent a week at home, working from home and on the 4th day, my body decided it was time to throw in some tonsillitis. Why does this happen so often?

If I could figure out how to post photos of my throat, I will do it too.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This advice is based on my own personal experience. Take this advice at your own risk. You must consult your doctor. Do not self medicate.

Sore throat is normally caused initially by a virus infection but subsequently becomes a bacteria infection.

It can be caused by insufficient sleep or eating spicy food like food laced with chillies, jalapeno or food added with too much pepper, curry, oily fried food or drinking soup with oil droplets in them. It can also be caused by inhaling dust particles from haze or even from persistent stress at work or infection from other people.

On the initial onset of throat infection, try gurgling with salt water or listerine by looking up at the ceiling while gurgling to dislodge any oil droplets attached to  your throat. Do not swallow the salt or listerine solution. It is meant to be spitted out after gurgling.

If this does not work, take a tablet of 1000mg dosage Redoxon vitamin C by dropping it in a glass of water. Wait for the efferversence to complete before drinking it.

This is generally effective for sore throat caused by insufficient sleep and not by bacteria infection. Please note that you can only take this once a while. Never take excessive vitamin C of this high dosage daily, otherwise you may develop kidney stones. It is better to drink lemon drink often to boost up your vitamin C requirement as it also helps to prevent kidney stone formation.

If that still does not work, take lozenges. It only works if your sore throat is not severe. Otherwise, it is ineffective. Taking too much lozenges or for prolonged period is also not good for your kidney function.

Doctors normally prescribe antibiotics to a patient when he or she is suffering from a fever or swollen tonsils or the throat becomes very reddish.

The antibiotics prescribed are normally either:

ampicillin or

amoxycillin or amoxicillin or

augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium)

Dosage for Ampicillin or amoxycillin:

Adult dosage: 250 mg per capsule, normally taken 2 capsules at one time.

Child dosage: 125 mg per 5 ml or 7.5 ml in liquid form depending on age and body weight.

Baby or toddler dosage: unknown or could be 50 mg per 5 ml (check with your doctor)

Ampicillin or amoxycillin is normally taken thrice a day for a period of 5 consecutive days.

Augmentin comes in 650 mg dosage and is normally taken twice a day for a period of 5 consecutive days.

In terms of strength of the medicine, augmentin is the strongest, followed by amoxycillin and then ampicillin. These medicines are normally obtained through prescription only. However, for some countries, you can buy them over the counter from pharmacies.

For other countries, they may be controlled and can only be bought with a doctor's prescription. The objective is to prevent abuse of medication or to prevent new strains of bacteria from developing resistance to them if misuse.

You have to complete the course of medication and do not stop taking them until you finish the course of antibiotics in 5 consecutive days otherwise any surviving bacteria will build resistance to the drug.

Normally paracetamol (panadol) and serrazyme (topal) are prescribed together to lower the fever and reduce the swelling of the throat respectively. If your sore throat causes dry cough later, doctor may prescribe dhasedyl cough syrup for you too. Dhasedyl cough syrup may cause drowsiness or sleepiness. Please do not take this cough syrup if you are driving or manning some factory machineries as you may doze off and endangers your life.

You must have enough sleep and drink enough water. Eat enough fruits daily.

Your medication will not work if you do not have enough sleep or you do not drink enough water daily. Avoid oily, fried, spicy food like curry, jalapeno or chillies. Do not take the medicine and Vitamin C or fruit juice concurrently as the vitamin C or fruit juice will dilute the effectiveness of the medicine. The medicine is generally alkaline in nature while the fruit juice or vitamin C is acidic. Both when combined will neutralize each other to some extent, thereby nullifying the effectiveness of the medication.

How to prevent sore throat from recurring:

Take vitamin C e.g. Redoxon every 2 or 3 days once. Dosage depends on age e.g. 250 mg for adults and 100mg for children. Do not take excessive of it.

Have enough sleep.

Drink 7 to 8 glasses of water a day, spreading them out.

Drink fruit juice every other day .e.g lemon or other fruit juice if you do not wish to take vitamin C. It is in fact a better and healthier option.

You can buy concentrated fruit juice. Then dissolve it with water in a glass. In that way, it is more economical.

Remember no amount of medicine can cure your sore throat if you do not have enough sleep or water.

And lastly, do not abuse antibiotics.

• Posted

Hi Amelia,

hopefully you've sorted it out now, I know it's been a while, but just wanted to post this anyway so that anyone else suffering can hopefully see it! I had chronic tonsillitis for years before they would take them out. I've had them out now and it is truly amazing, but there's one bit of advice I have for anyone who still has their tonsils (or even just always get sick, I still follow this advice even now!)

This literally changed my life!!! During my first year of uni, my tonsillitis peaked because of meeting all new sorts of people and moving to a germ ridden city. Antibiotics had basically stopped working, they kept having to change them so I could get rid of it. I was getting tonsillitis about twice a month, and if I ever travelled, I would 100% get it. I got sent to the hospital by my doctor to receive antibiotics on a drip because I wasn't responding to them anymore. After this helped I decided to try and improve my immune system with supplements. The first ones I came across were Higher Nature's Immune + and I literally haven't stopped taking them since. I took 2 every day (can take up to 6, so if I feel myself getting ill, I do more and I wake up feeling completely normal the next day) and I didn't get tonsillitis for 3 months! It was crazy!! I only got tonsillitis afterwards because I ran out of pills! They are natural pills, and I have tried other supplements before and not seen this much improvement, so I truly recommend these ones. I'm not linked to the brand in anyway, I just think they're amazing, I tell literally everyone to buy these vitamins. They truly changed my life!

Here's the link, if anyone tries them, reply to this and let me know how you found them!

https://www.highernature.co.uk/Products/ImmunePlus-VitaminC-Zinc?AgentID=115&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sQwETASee|pcrid|57489674054|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|QIM180S1%20-%20ANTI|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsLKy6Yu62AIVgjgbCh086AStEAQYASABEgLZjfD_BwE

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.