Too soon to lose my womb?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with fibroids about 3 years ago after noticing a slight hardness in my abdomen, in that time I've gone from having a large number of small ones to a 28-30 week size tummy!

I'm now on the path towards having a myomectomy just waiting for an mri and an apt with the consultant...but...I'm wondering whether to opt for a hysterectomy instead? I'm 29 and i don't have any children. My partner and I can't have children naturally anymore but he has two from a previous relationship who we see on weekends. We don't qualify for any kind of IVF where we live and we simply can't afford to go private. A sperm donor has been thought of as an option, oddly enough by my partner! I'm not sure how I feel about that myself! We've both agreed that we would love to adopt and are looking into it.

So I'm wondering would there be any point in me having a myo? Considering how fast the little blighters have grown in the last 3 years there's a very likely chance that I would have to have another op before I've had a chance to get pregnant!

I've been very lucky considering the size of the 'roids I don't have any bleeding other than my periods which have actually been slowly getting shorter! the pain however is pretty constant, when I sleep, when I bend over, I do a lot of walking in my job and especially when I'm due on, even that hurts! Im of a fairly slim build too so I do look 6-7 Months pregnant, last summer I lived in the thinest jumpers I owned!

I'm getting to the point where I just want them gone! Whether my uterus goes with them i don't know yet. Any advice would be really welcome

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kat, I think everyones case is indivdual, i too have multiple fibriods - i was diagnosed last year and a hystorectomy was recomended but I certianly dont want - Im 41 and i dont have kids but I think i would still like the option of having them and I certainly dont want to go through that sort of major surgery. I'm looking into going down the herbal route to try and shrink them and I do acupunture weekly, which really helps with my symptoms - which are like yours, bloating all of the time, I however have no pain or heavy bleeding. What have you been doing for the past three years to deal with your symptoms?
  • Posted

Hi Kat, I have a similar fib situation to you. i am 36, no kids and a uterus thats 5 months in size, also slim so have that pregnant look going on. A hysterectomy is to drastic i think, i just had a myo a few weeks ago and know how you feel about just wanting rid of them at any cost. The myo surgery is not so bad and if you have had a mri scan they will be able to tell you if the procedure will work out well. my situation got messed up as i did not have a mri prior to surgery so not sure what the consultant was thinking, it just meant all the fibs could not be removed. 

I would really consider diet change to slow the growth down. This is more of a long term solution, i do not think they will shrink from the sizze they are, but they will grow slower, mine took about a year to grow while on the diet, and was told the growth was quite slow as some peoples grow within months. 

Have you talked to the doc about getting Esmya - these shrunk mine before surgery from 11cm to 7-8cm. You will notice  a diffference in the tummy size.

• Posted

A hysterectomy is drastic and of course means you will never be able to become pregnant.  However, the problem with a myomectomy is that it does not prevent fibroids from coming back. My sister chose the myomectomy route, and what happened was that she would have a myomectomy, the fibroids would come back, and then she would need another myomectomy. She had so many surgeries that her uterus was completely covered in scar tissue and she ended up having to have a hysterectomy . She never wanted children, but with all the scarring on her uterus, she probably would not have been able to carry a pregnancy to term anyway. Also, adominal surgery has health risks. So keep in mind that if you have a hysterectomy, assuming the procedure goes well and there are no problems, it will alll be over and done with. If you have a myomectomy, you may still need many surgeries afterward and end up with a hysterectomy anyway, and the more surgeries you have, the greater the risk to your health.  
  • Posted

i too look pregnant. in fact i think many of my regular customers were thinking that but afraid to mention. The gp signed me off as so painful too work.  i too do alot of standing/walking in my job. have you had scans to confirm the size and quantity

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.