Took Citalopram for 3 months Now on Ecitalopram 5mg (Help Advice needed)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I use to take Citalopram 10mg i took them for 3 months for panic attacks and anxiety but medicine gave me horrable side effects and i was not feeling right. 

Then my GP switched me to Ecitalopram 5mg and told me to come back after 4 weeks for review now i am on day 13.

My first week was ok but secound week i feel panic and have anxiety and worried all the.

Any advice help please or please share your experience. 

Regards.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get off this drug and get on another like brintellex or trintellex or something else. 

It will make you anxious especially in the morning. Come off with your doctor slowly.

Dont do anything on your own but know that you are not the only one.

Trust me it will get better sorry I know how much you are sufferring but just remember its just the medication.

• Posted

Thanks Killgodroad for the support and giving hope i will update on my situation soon. 

God Bless You

Regards 

Ali 

• Posted

Hi Ali. I have been on escitalopram for over 4yrs now with success in controlling anxiety & depression - it keeps me as the real me. its very common when starting escitalopram or indeed increasing in dose, to have heightened anxiety especially in morning for first 2-4wks. i also got increased tiredness, dry mouth & small pupils when i first started it or increased in dose. i have been on 15mg for some time now which is my optimum dose. you will know when you reach the right dose for you, as you will simply feel more like yourself . expect improvement within about 4-6wks of starting, then review with your doc(like you said) to assess whether 10mg is enough or you need to go upto 15mg. stick with it if you can, but if you have any terrible thoughts or are dramatically worse then go back to your doc urgently. although this is very unlikely to happen. if you can't get on with this med after giving it a fair trial like i suggested above (4-6wks each dose), there are others such as fluoxetine-quite toleranable with most people who take it. everybody's different & while one person may get on great with a particular ad, the next person might not. take care, really try not to "what if" & just take one step at time. take care & i hope you start to feel better soon. xx

• Posted

Hi looloo43 and thanks, 

First when i started Citalopram it did help me but not the way it should and then i stoped after 3 months and i was thinking i can do it but after week had to go back to Dr and then he gave Ecitalopram 5mg and told me that it will help and take 5mg for 4 weeks and then review now i feel bit ok from  yesterday less anxious hope as you said 4 to 6 weeks.

My Dr told me that after 4 weeks he will see if i should stay on 5mg or increase the dose to 10mg.

I will update on my situation soon and if i need help i will ask you again for advice.

Kind Regards,

Ali 

• Posted

No problem Ali, sounds like a good plan. just post on here, plenty of us to help you or advice etc if you need it. x
    • Posted

Thanks a lot smile and have a good day i will be back soon 

confused 

• Posted

Hi looloo hope you are doing.

My anxiety and panic bit increased from last few days is this normal after two and half weeks...???

Regards. 

• Posted

Hi Ali. Yes hun, its normal to have these temp side effects when starting this med for 2-4wks. i did. try telling yourself when the anxiety feels heightened "its ok. this is normal & to be expected" it may help to reduce the temp increase in anxiety a bit for you. if you go up in dose in the future you may also experience the same but no so much. its just your body adapting to the med. xxx

• Posted

Thanks you Looloo you are very good smile i am avoiding diazepam in case i become adict...??

• Posted

Hi looloo

It's day 10 of upping dose from 10mg to 15mg and still have low mood and tierd a lot when and how will I know if 15mg is working

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Ali. just draw on your inner strength (you know it's in there somewhere from when you were well) & try to ride out the initial 2-4wks then review with your doc if 10mg is enough to make you feel more like yourself or if you need to go upto 15mg. please also take on board what alana said in this discussionb - sound advice. Take care & be strong - you can do it, & things will get better - it just takes a little time. xx

• Posted

Hi Don. its only day 10, so give it the usual 4-6wks to see if 15mg is enough & only then review how things are with your doc. if needed you can still go up to 20mg (which i have been on in past when bad) but its important to find the right dose for the individual. if you take too high a dose too quickly, you will not know if a lower dose would've been your optimum, & could just end up feeling permanently sedated if on too high a dose for you. i know its tough, but these meds unfortunately take a little time to work if you are suited to that particular one, so you must give it a fair try, or you could go round in circles trying lots of different ones too quickly (ie not giving one a fair try). your side effects are completely normal, so please be assured its just you adapting to the med & finding the right dose. Take care Don. x

• Posted

Thanks again looloo

I guess I need to be more patient and give it more time 😬

Thanks

• Posted

Hi looloo smile yes i am trying and will stick with it i will go to my doc after next week its going to be 4 weeks by then on 5mg i have asked my doc when he started 5mg do i need to up my dose to 10mg he said after weeks he will see at the moment i am on day 19 today lets hope and finger crossed 

Talk soon looloo smile x

• Posted

HI Ali, 

Ecitalopram has side affects as per any other SSRI.

Mine took two to three weeks for me to start seing some form of effect and for the side affects to start wearing off. 

It does take time !

My second week was also the worst i felt like i was zoned out , i had hot flushes and cold flushes, i could barely sleep, had anxiety, felt nauseas, dizzy , lost my apetite ,dry mouth and i would have blurry eye vision. 

Into the third week they had mild down and now i have been on the tablets for a year without any form of side affects.

Deffinitely give them four weeks as hard as it will be !

Just keep pushing through the second week as it will get easier  

• Posted

Hi Alana and thanks for sharing and advice really means a lot to me at me momemt i am today going to take my 19th dose i take them around 5pm and on 5mg.

Hopefuly things will get better soon my side effects will be gone.

My doc told me to come back after 4 weeks for review as he want me to stay on lowest dose.

Best wishes Alana.

Ali smile 

• Posted

Alana,I had bad hot flushes with celexa the sister drug to Lexapro!I took celexa years before for severe postpartum anxiety after a miscarriage and it was great,second timetried to go back on it after bieng off three years,I got burning sensations and extreme panic and restlessness plus insomnia.I only lasted two days!I noticed you said hot flushes,where they like a burning sensation or where yours more like sweating.My doc wants me to try celexa again at a tiny dose of 2.5.I was also looking into starting Lexapro at a tiny dose!ai am Sooo nervous to restart since I have four kids who I adore and need to function for them!I have anxiety,OCD,and some depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.