Tooth implants and prednisone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone had success with tooth implants while on 10 mg of prednisone? I need two implants and my dentist is hesitant until he gets the go ahead from the rheumatologist who wouldn't commit himself one way or another.  I no longer see a rheumatologist and my GP works with me to manage my PMR.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'll be interested to hear the result of this conversation.  What does the dentist think might be the issue?  I can think of two, both of which would be much more important at high doses of pred.  The fact that prednisone interferes with bone remodelling, hence putting many of us at risk for bone thinning, might make it harder for the implant to "take", and because the immune system is somewhat depressed there might be more risk of infection - although so much can be done now to reduce those risks. 
  • Posted

Hi Audrey, I have had teeth implants and at that time I was taking 15mg of prednisolone, that was March 2015.  My dentist told me to double up (30mg) the day before procedure, the day of the procedure and the day after.  My implant work was getting my lower gums cut open and then drilling into the bone and placeing tittanium things (I cannot remember what they are called) and I had no problem whatsoever.  I had to take Amoxicillan for about 5 days.  I had no bleeding, no problems but you would have thought I had a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson lol.

I hope you get it sorted out.  Regards Pat

• Posted

I just got a tooth implanted the week i started prednisone. My surgeon said he would not do an implant if i was on prednisone.

The procedure took exactly 1 year from tooth extraction and bone graft to the fake tooth being screwed in. I see him next week so I'll ask the exact reason why but I'm sure it has to due with prednisone and bone loss.

• Posted

not teeth related, but I had an eyelid lift done while on that sort of pred dose, no problem at all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.