Tooth infection - agonizing pain any advice please

Posted , 62 users are following.

Like so many here my infection started as a niggling pain in my bottom lefentist t molar. I am due to have a root canal on this tooth in 2 weeks time but the next day the little niggle had exploded into unctrollable head cutting off agonizing pain, i tried relieving the pain just using paracetomol but that didnt touch it i then consumed half a bottle of whiskey which got me pissed but didnt take the pain away. I managed to get into the dentist the next day, the bus journey there was the most miserable thing I have ever endured. I saw the dentist who said I had an infection and she would prescibe antibiotics which i was thankful for but what i really wanted was for the excruciating pain to go away. The dentist was irish and I could barely understand her, she then said she could give me an injection to ease the pain so i agreed, she then injected me right at the end of my gum in the hard bit which hurt like hell but it took the pain away THANK GOD! she then told me to wait in the waiting room and she would call me in 5 mins to take another look. I went back in and she sat me in the chair then all I saw was a blur of activity and she was actually drilling into my tooth which I had no idea she was about to do. The dentist put a temporary filling in after cleaning out some of the infection, she then prescribed me erythromycin and metronidazole and tole me to take ibuprofen for the pain. To cut a long and painful story short it is now 3 days since i started on the antibiotics and I am still in ridiculous agony, should it be this long before they kick in, I am sure I am overdosing on ibuprofen and why is my mouth and ear and jaw still hurting like hell, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yep the pain makes you want to jump off a cliff :D

You can take ibuprofen and paracetamol together, soluable paracetamol work far better than the tablets, Panadol are the best brand. Or theres Boots brand paracetamol and codeine theyre better than standard paracetamol, failing that clove oil smile

Lets hope the antibiotics kick in tomorrow :D

• Posted

Any non pharmasudical suggestions?

• Posted

Do NOT use clove oil if you have a sensitive tongue. I cannot eat anything with peppers or hot spices. The clove oil did stop the pain in my throbbing teeth for a few minutes, but my tongue was absolutely on fire. I had fo keep putting crushed ice on it
  • Posted

Thanks for that..just to add my antibiotics run out tommorrow so pardon my french what the hell do i do after that???
    • Posted

Hi, I recently started getting a niggling pain in my back molar which turned into unbearable pain!!

I went to the dentist and it turns out it's a tooth that I had a root canal in last year,unfortunately the root canal didn't work and now it's infected,I'm in so much pain it's unreal. Everyone around me thinks that I'm just being a wimp lol but honestly I've never felt so much pain in all my life! I've been given antibiotics to help clear up the infection but I've got to return to the dentist next week to have the tooth out.

I've never had a tooth out before and I'm pretty scared,so really not looking forward to that.

• Posted

its much easier then a root canal.  If you can do the local anesthetic you should be great. Just make sure you take good care and use ghause as prescribed.  You'll be okay.  Im currently considdering root canal so thank you for your oppionion and story.  I really need to get this infection taken care of.  IM SO HIGH IN ADVIL! hah, but seriously.  WHy does it have to be saturday?!@
    • Posted

I've just had two root canals,there's nothing to it painless with local anesthetic, only thing had to have one pulled due to infection in absolute for a week now. Started antibiotics yesterday pain killers doing naff all
    • Posted

That was absolute agony lol
    • Posted

I know you all wrote these replies a year or more ago, but my problem, pain and abscess is NOW, and I just joined here.

I have never had a dental emergency other than on a weekend !  I just wanted to say that to you.  I understand in other words.

• Posted

Youll need to do the old salt / tcp water mouth washes and gum massage to encourage the puss out. Hot or cold face packs, applying hand pressure to the effected side of the face / cheek bone, holding icy cold water in your mouth on the area, these can all provide some temporary relief smile
  • Posted

Hi there

Poor you - I can almost feel your pain sad

The combination of antibiotics should have kicked in by now. If there is no improvement you must contact your dentist again on Monday - as she's already drilled the tooth (which is unusual before a course of antibiotics) - she can open up the cavity again and release the pus.

As Dr Spock rightly says - you can use paracetamol and ibruprofen at the same time but do not exceed the daily dose as prescribed on the packets.

Hopefully the pharmacist will have warned you NOT to have alcohol with metronidazole - it can raise the blood pressure quite dramatically. Sorry!!

I do hope you will soon be feeling a lot more comfortable - I find I'm checking all my teeth with my tongue as I'm typing this ....... sad

• Posted

Thanks again for all advice..sadly it is bank holiday on monday so i may have to ring nhs direct instead..I am pretty scared of taking too many painkillers..it is 4.55 a.m in the morning and I was in so much pain I have taken 3 ibuprofen along with my antibiotics..I am taking too many I am sure of that..
    • Posted

Hi ya I'm going thru exactly what you are at the moment, I think I've jumped off enuff cliffs!!! Never felt pain like this, can I please give you one bit of advice don't overdose on nurofen I did and now to top it all off I have a stomach ulcer from too many pain killers x

• Posted

I'm in exactly the same boat as you! I'm in bloody agony!

Just taken a codine phosphate and it hasn't worked at all.

Have reached max dose

• Posted

OMG This is the first time I have ever had an abcess I have never known such pain it started with twinging on Friday we came home Sat from a week away and thats when it started to take off pain throbbing and an abcess forming in my cheek I have tried different painkillers and can honestly say the only thing that worked for me for over 3 hrs is Neurofen Plus which I ran out of as I had taken them for Arthritis a few weeks ago As it got much worse and its Sunday evening I phoned the emergency dentist they are about 20 mins away but the only appointment they could find me was at a clinic about 45mins away ! I dont drive so it was impossible shall just have to wait until the morning now and phone my dentist my partner was out while all this was happening but we managed to sort out a chemist that was open and he has got me some Nurofen Plus they told him that it was the only chemist open tonight and it is in London not too far from where he was this evening thank god ! Roll on tomorrow I dont like dentists but I will be so glad to see one tomorrow god knows what sort of a night I will have again not much if any sleep again !
    • Posted

Oooo I sympathise I really do.

Since writing my original post I've finally had a root canal filling, the abccess has nearly gone but I'm still in some pain! This all started on the 29th of August so I've decided the tooth must come out now.

My job is taking me away to Reading soon, I live in Cornwall, I need to be 100% over this!

So, it's Monday morning, my advice to you, get to the dentist, get some antibiotics in you and if they talk about root canal filling seriously think about it. If it's the first time it's happened then hopefully it'll solve it. If like me you're petrified of dental work and it's happened before, be brave and have it out! Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your message I have been to the dentist and she took an 

x ray and showed me where the infection was she banged on a couple of teeth including the infected one I nearly hit the roof ! Then she gave me a pain killing injection I nearly hit the roof again and then drilled through the middle of the tooth so the abcess can drain out We discussed about root canal treatment but she said there really was not much of the tooth left and i might be better off having the tooth out so thats what I decided to do on Wednesday afternoon We discussed antibiotics and I told her about a couple that always upset my stomach and they happen to be the ones they use for dental problems so she wrote out a perscription and said dont change it at the chemist yet as I might not need them but when my daughter had the same problem years ago she did not start taking the antibiotics straight away and when it came to extracting the tooth she felt everything as there was still some infection there so I think I would be better off taking them today so hopefully the infection is gone by Wednesday

Anyway just thought you might be interested we have just come back from Cornwall Saturday afternoon we stayed in a lovely cottage just outside Tintagel it was beautiful there were woods at the back of the cottage and a stream that could be seen from the living room kitchen and bedroom windows we have been to Tintagel about 6 times at least over the years

Good luck with yours too Shirl !

• Posted

Tintagel eh? Lovely place, I'm not far from there myself.

Anyhow back to our teeth!

Yes, AV it out, take the tablets for sure! When I had the injection to drain my abccess I hit the roof too!

Oooooo there's nowt like an dental abccess is there!

It's great sharing our experiences, keep in touch if you like!

• Posted

Hi Shirl

Years ago we used to stay in a caravan in Ocean Cove holiday Park but it really was so run down in the end and they sold it a few years ago we had a look around it last week and its all mobile homes now

We went to some lovely places such as The lost gardens Of Heligan we have been there several times before oh and Clovelly I wasnt sure how my leg would be as I have been having a lot of trouble with Arthritis in my right leg well apart from the fact that I wore sandals which were not the best thing to wear walking along the cobbles !

• Posted

Well here we are 2 days after seeing the dentist and taking Metronidazole 3 times a day plus painkillers the swelling has gone down a lot but still feels tender the dentist told me on Monday once the abscess starts draining I will get a horrible taste in my mouth but it will ease the pressure well I have not had any taste in my mouth and have noticed no sign of draining I have an appointment this afternoon when the tooth will be removed hopefully 

I have to go by myself this afternoon not looking forward to it at all !

• Posted

Awww, good luck with that!

My abccess didn't burst either, had to have it drained.

Let me know how u get on

• Posted

Thanks Shirl !  I will let you know later how I get on

M  ( Elizabeth is my middle name ! )

• Posted

Back from dentist she said it had been draining although I must admit I had not noticed it I had to have 3 injections 2 in the area and one in my gum and I still felt it come out OMG so glad to be rid of the tooth ! 

Trouble is now the injection is starting to wear off I can feel the pain of it !

• Posted

Oh gawd! You felt it come out? I hope you don't mean pain, just the sensation surely?

I expect you'll be very tender for a few days after all that trauma. I admit I wish I'd had mine out too!

• Posted

Yes I meant pain like a deep aching as she pulled it out I dont think the injections worked so well what with all the infection my daughter had the same problem some years ago and her face ballooned up even worse than mine and when I spoke to her a short while ago she said she felt pain as they removed her tooth but she didnt tell me for fear of putting me off !

• Posted

Hi Shirl

Well I still have some swelling and infection and it is still a bit sore but I have not taken any more painkillers now such a relief !

I do quite a bit of knitted items for charity but have not been able to face knitting until the last 24hrs !

The next time I get any twinges I will not put it off and hope it will go away I have well and truely learnt my lesson !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.