topical steroids for oral lichen planus

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am wondering for those of you who have had sucess with topical steroids  for your oral lichen planus, how long did it take to see improvement?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kay, when my tongue and gums are really sore I use eumovate 1% and it provides relief instantly and I only use it for a couple of applications. As long as I stay away from the food or drinks which cause irritation, it stays much less painful and there is much less if any burning sensation too. My pharmacist says I can use it for up to 7 days without a break, but I have never had to use it for that length of time. You can buy this over the counter too. Hope this helps. Keep well, Gail
  • Posted

I've been on a topical steroid for about 2 months.  It has helped but not healed altogether.  It is not quite as red and inflamed as it was before.  My oral pathologist says it can take months to see any improvement!  I have reduced usage now from twice a day to once a day and I hope it will keep it from worsening and maintain it at current levels which are very tolerable now.

• Posted

thanks for relplying! I know it is very individual, but it sure helps to see how others have responded to meds.
  • Posted

I found the topical gels and ointmens useless, but got relief from betnesol mouthwash in about 3 weeks - initially I was keeping in in my mouth for about 20 minutes three times a day though. Have also tried spraying flixotide on some ulcers but not sure that helps much and always have to take miconazole oral gel if do this to stop thrush.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.