topimarate

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started topimarate at the usual start dose 25mg, 4 weeks ago, to ease migraine headaches, I'm on quite a lot of other meds already for other things so am sort of used to side effects, but these just knocked me out cold the first 3 days I wasn't here !, Then my speech was 'taken over' I felt like an animated toy in a shop with the wrong audio track playing things have I'm glad to say calmed down I was frightened it would go into overdrive when the doseage doubled after just 2 weeks but they didn't not a flicker there was an increase! On a positive side I have lost some weight, which is a big bonus for me, it wouldn't be for everyone but it was a pleasant side effect, althought I do seem have a slightly irritated colon since starting it, with frequent trips to the toilet and not much of an appetite but I do have an incredible thirst and prefer to keep my headaches hydrated

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I started Topiramate for migraines last night and had a terrible night and feel terrible today. I also suffer from M.E. I'm going away next week so I'm going to leave it until I return. Your comments have encouraged me but I was wondering if you have found drinking any alcohol to effect them as I like a drink sometimes x
  • Posted

It is now August 2014, are you still taking Topiramate or did you stop it? I came off a year ago after taking it for several years without realising the harm is was doing to me. I thought I had dementia!
  • Posted

hello... your side effects were they 25mg or higher dosage.

The drug scares me bigtime but neuro tells me only small chance of kidney stones.. the rest is on higher doses.

• Posted

I started yesterday at 25mg before bedtime with the intention of climbing to 75mg 3x daily. The doctor said it had a calming effect and it would help with my anxiety and also help with my weight gain I was experiencing from Quetiapine useage. 

Okay, my initial reactions were quite surprising. Yes this did have a calming effect. No this did not have a sleep effect at all! This has a high diaretic effect. Because I thought this was a sleeping pill, I took 3 of them. I was up all night in the restroom. I hardly slept at all. I had a terrible nights sleep and my stomach was in cramps. This is basically an enema or water pills. Be careful!! on usage. Do NOT dehydrate yourself. And please learn from my mistake.  I think my mistake was the message was lost in translation I do not blame my doctor. DO take this 1x 25mg in the morning. DO be near a bathroom 1.2 hr after you take it! Never take this at night or you wont be able to sleep you will be in the bathroom.

• Posted

Just wondered how you are getting on with this drug now? Are you still on it? I was on Amitriptyline but had such terrible side affects that I came off it and was put on this instead. If it doesn't work I am being referred to a neurololgist... I am have been taking one tablet at night for 3 nights. So far I just feel very tired, bit clumsy and forgetful. I seem to have little appetite and do feel nauseous much of the time. Bit alarmed by some of the comments on here about other experiences and wondering if I should bother to up the dosage much more unless it starts to work...?
  • Posted

I cannot stress enough the mistake it was to be on Topiramate. I've had migraines and cluster headaches for over 50 years so I'm used to trying anything that might help. Topiramate nearly ruined my life and every Dr thought it was the menopause or some other reason but never picked up on the side effects. Therefore, I suffered for a few years with severe stomach problems and dementia-like symptoms with extreme lethargy and depression.  Only recently did I hear a GP refer to it as "a dirty drug"! I'm angry that my GP just kept telling me to up the dose when it wasn't working and didn't stop to think of the harm it was doing.

COME OFF IT AND SAVE YOUR LIFESTYLE!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.