TOS?? Confused!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys. I am writing on here as I am currently feeling a bit lost with my symptoms. I am 1 month away from being discharged from the military with still no diagnosis.

3 years ago whilst in training I was taken off an excercise after carrying 14st of kit over 4 days which caused complete paralysis in my left arm and hand with a lot of pain and my hand was extremely swollen and red. I was diagnosed with neuropraxia and sent on sick leave for over a month. It took over 1 month until I could bicep curl a 1kg weight. Now 3 years on I struggle with symptoms like pain in neck, deltoid, forearm and hand as well as tingling in thumb and 2 closest fingers. I first had an MRI 2 years after my original injury to check for disc herniation where it was said they thought I had a cervical rib, following an X-ray it was then said I did not have the extra rib. Then after physical examination it was thought I had TOS as above my collar bone is very tender and sensitive so an MRI and MRA which came back with no ill results. Then EMG and nerve conduction tests which also showed nothing. So I am now without a diagnosis and it would seem all examination has been exhausted. It's making me think I am making it all up! How can I be injured but nothing shows up on imaging. Even though when there is compression(backpack) or arm above my head or out to the front my symptoms are clear.

Any advice/thoughts are helpful as my head is fried right now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dez1991, have you been having treatment at Headley court and have you had access to Mr Fox?? 

Diagnostic testing often shows nothing for TOS. I had no cervical rib, negative EMG, nothing major on MRI but following physical exam had a working diagnosis and surgery which has worked a small miracle. 

If if you are at Headley, I strongly advise pushing to see someone from the peripheral nerve injury unit at Stanmore if you haven't already been seen. Imaging is not cut and dry as a lot of literature shows. 

Its a risk having surgery as no imaging/diagnostic results could indicate no TOS but I took the risk and it paid off. It's also not the worst op/recovery even if they don't find anything. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Emma.

I have been to Headley once for an initial assessment, where they initially thought TOS so sent me for the MRI/A and EMG. But I haven't heard from them apart from when I called to find out my results.

I shall call and email today, I am quite happy to leave my job, but I'd rather leave with a better diagnosis than naurapraxia for 3 years.

• Posted

Highly recommend you write down a timeline of everything, and then take it to your Med centre and say you insist on a ref back to spec rehab/upper limbs at Headley.

If they deem that you may have TOS they can refer it to Mr Fox and his team and they will do an assessment.

Headley can then request time to "fix/rehab" you prior to discharge.

Or in my case I got fixed and back to it!

If you have any other questions just ask, took me 3 years to get sorted

• Posted

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I have a telephone consultation with a doctor from upper limbs at Headley soon, so hopefully get some more info and can move forward.

Thanks again.

• Posted

My case was pretty similar. Once they went in to do the Thorassic outlet surgery they found my rib to be abnormally wide with muscle wrapped around it. Despite not having an extra rib, it was doing enough damage to take out the too rib. I had no pulse whatsoever before the surgery and now the pain down the arm is a dull ache from lack of blood flow for two years. But nothing like it was before. The pain is 1/16th of what it was. I have a strong pulse and a lot less headaches. 
    • Posted

That's top rib....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.