Total arm numbness after surgery for TOS. Is this normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had thoracic outlet syndrome for 4 plus years. & did two round of PT in which got no relief but only made matters worse. Th last resort was surgery. I had surgery a week ago in which they removed on just one, but two ribs on my left side as well as my scalene muscle. My surgeon was only planning on doing one rib, but when he went in he noticed my thoracic cavity was much more constricted that he originally thought. The first few days in the hospital were rough and the first day's home I was in a lot of pain. My pain has been better controlled lately with the medications but I'm worried because my whole arm and hand is still numb and feels like it's asleep all the time. I don't like the feeling. He said it may take a bit before I get my feeling back because of the anestic numb patch the gave me in the hospital. Does anyone have similar issues post surgery? Did you ever gain feeling abs strength back? Help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

I had my first rib removed and angioplasty of my subclavian vein. I had a "pins and needles" feeling on my whole arm which I felt for months after my surgery. I still feel it a bit in my hand once and a while and it's almost been a year since the surgery. No worries it'll get better in time. Good luck.

-Eddie

• Posted

Hi, i did experience numbness and tingling the same day after the surgery, however it has passed now and i have full feeling and fairly good function. I have heard of people taking a bit longer to regain full feeling. I believe i still have the anesthetic patch on as when i touch the site which was cut i cannot feel anything. I feel more strengh in my hand already so hopefully after some more time you experience the same smile any more qyestions feel free to ask!

• Posted

Hi,

I had surgery in May and my arm was totally numb for a couple of weeks. Eventualay that and the pins and needles faded. 5 months later and I still have numbness in my chest though. Surgeon said this was completely normal because the nerves take forever to heal.

Best of luck in your recovery!

• Posted

I had the surgery done 4 years ago after a work related injury in 2010. I've suffered severe pain daily. In wound from my cot in the emergency room where in about to get a ctscan with contrast to rule out blood clot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.