Total hip replacement 11 days

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All, I had a TKR 11 months ago & it needs a total Revision, it's been dislocated since the 2nd week i had it done Nov 2014, found another surgeon who told me that's what happened, & said I needed the Total Hip Replaced on the same side, before he would do the knee revision, so I knew he was right,bc that was going to be next from the first surgeon, Okay, so now my leg swelled bad, mostly in the foot, they put me on bed rest, elevate & prednisone for 3 days, my foot is still very swollen & I go back in 2 days, if they think it's a clot I'll be sent for tests, just thinking after watching the surgery, maybe it all came from being manipulated while on the table, just wondering if any one else had this swelling problem minus the knee replacement ? thanks for listening,

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna, 

Welcome to this wonderful forum of fellow hippies - 

I am so sorry about what you are going through ... but I am also a little bit confused - 

So you had total knee replacement 11 months ago and now need revision surgery due to dislocation of prothesis ...however, in order for the surgeon to do this surgery, a Total Hip Replacement surgery is needed ?

I had 2 THR surgeries within 6 months and can confirm that there was some swelling - the first time so much worse - tight, red skin, especially calf , ankle and foot of operated side and bruised all over

with the second one I asked the surgeon to be a little bit more gentle with the manipulation and I think he was - hardly any swelling and just a bruise around the incision-

Take good care of your self and please come back here

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Yes, well the 1st surgeon from where I had 1 of 2 TKR's knew I needed 2 knees & 1 hip, just he wanted to go with the knee's 1st, & did rt knee 1st turned out well, then 3months after left knee was done but with sutures & that was a mess, had wound infection, was not healing so I spent the winter w/ a Wound Dr. until that was fixed.  After all of 4mths telling my surgeon something wasn't right, he finally agreed & wanted to do the revision ASAP, I felt this should have never taken so long for them to notice, so that's when I retrived All my records & found a New Surgeon, he said the hip was so bad, he wanted to get it done so when he revised the knee, the hip would be aligned & in good shap to go ahead with the revision, made sence to me so here I am, it's been awful knowing you know something isn't right, & oh well, so on 9/22/15 I got the hip done, it was good untill 4 days after I spent to much time on it that day & it blew up over night, ,y fault I guess, but called them up & was told 48hrs up in bed & start the prednisone. I now am thinking maybe the swelling is coming from the bad knee, but I have had it up & no differance so tomorrow I get my staples out & I will see what he thinks should be done next, the staples look good clean & ready so Thank You for the reply, it is Very Kind & this is wonderful to have a site like this, my Husband is great, but unless you've been through it you cant realy understand the whole thing, or I sound like an ole broken record, btw I'll be 55 in Nov, so maybe I am LOL !! wink

& Renee you are right I watched the surgery online & yes they do manipulate you so much, that's why I think my leg/foot is so swollen.

Thank You so much, I'll keep posting & good health to us All. Donna

• Posted

Swelling after such surgery is common. I suspect that having started from a worse position than us, you have suffered more. It is a good thing they are on the lookout for a possible clot. All the best, keep us posted
    • Posted

Thank You maggie, yes I was told that I have Big Bones, LOL !! buttrue, I'm 5'11 245lbs but have always been active & a big gal, since I can remember 54 yrs now .... I am going for removal of staples tomorrow, they look good, then I will find out just what is going to be done next, long story, but you are so right about positioning, after watching the surgery online I was glad I didn't watch it until after !!

Stay well & Thanks I will keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.