Total hip replacement

Posted , 19 users are following.

i'm due to have a thr in 10days time & I'm terrified! I've never been in hospital before. Does anyone have any tips on how to cope? I'm scared I will wimp out & not go thro with it.

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was scared beforehand but just think at the moment how bad is your pain and how good will it be to be pain free, the actual op I had a spinal injection so was awake but felt no pain, you can't see anything also if you want you are allowed to take an iPod so u can listen to your music, am not going to skirt over things after op when painkillers wear off it hurts but long term, I am 12 weeks now and the pain I had before has gone still a little post op pain but I know when it has really healed inside properly will be pain free xxx
    • Posted

It's good to know other people feel scared too. Hopefully I will be fine on the day. Good luck with your recovery
  • Posted

Please dont be terrified Val,sometimes the waiting is far more petrifying than the actual day,try and stay positive remember that you will have your life back...and really is worth all the nervousness you are feeling,just remember Summer is coming and this year you will feel a different person from last year.Good luck but i am sure you wont need it!
    • Posted

looking forward to getting my life back. Thanks for the support.
  • Posted

Hi Val,

I have lived a large portion of my life in hospitals due to being born with a lung disease, so maybe I can share a few tips?

First remember that you are THE most important part of your medical team. Let no one treat you rudely or leave you unattended. You have a say in decision making. Do not be afraid to speak up, ask for help, ask questions.

Have someone you trust be there with you if possible so they can advocate for you when you cannot.

Always request your pain medication one half hour before it is due. Here in the States it takes 30 minutes for the nurse to get the meds to you. You do not have to lay in pain waiting for your next dose.

Sanitize your hands often

• Posted

O dear Dawn I only just read all yr detail about your result. Thought you weren't going in til Feb. what is the story today? Antibiotics did the work....  I see you are taking ami and that is good. Whatever it takes. How is your pain level and your balance and symmetry. Are things improving daily...that was a major intervention. I haven't read your chronological account. What was the journey like were you fully conscious. Can't believe it is done. What has yr surgeon told you and how is the follow up.  Let us hope this is the last of your sufferings. Are you walking unaided yet.  Plse tell
    • Posted

I accidentally posted before I meant to.

Be a kind considerate patient no matter how badly you feel.

Keep a written list of questions for the doctor as you think of them.

Take a robe and slippers, hobby, iPad, cell phone, laptop with the chargers etc.

Then just sit back and heal and let others take care of you!

Wishing you the best outcome!

Dawn

• Posted

Afraid no surgery yet. Planned for Feb. 27th. I had a complication with an abscess tooth and just had two teeth extractions two days ago. Have been taking antibiotic for 6 weeks. No infection in my hip joint Thank God. Did you see my x-Ray I posted?
    • Posted

That would explain my confusion. Just as well that dental infection was identified in advance of yr surgery. No matter how clean our blood, the teeth offer an open entry to all bacteria....   I looked at yr X-ray but not qualified to analyse. Mine, full frontal, looks fine to me, but when explained to me was eye popping. Edb, another contributor on here, sent a frontal angled X-ray which was painful to see, so mismatched were the two sides it would be impossible to understand how she was upright let alone mobile. Let us hope the time passes quickly for you til yr op and that it brings you the relief you deserve. Get a before and after, won't you....you have faith in the surgeon and that is crucial. Odear words are so inadequate
  • Posted

hi

i can totally understand your concerns and fears .

i felt the same when i had my THR in april 2014 but i kept thinking that (hopefully) my hip pain would be gone. in my case i had terrible hip pain 24/7 and after the operation i woke with no pain. 

the recovery was going to be tough but no pain ...bliss!! now im due to have my other hip done in february 2015

i found speaking to arthritis uk very helpful they were able to send me loads of info so i felt very well informed 

keep positive...we are all here for you xx

• Posted

thanks for the support. I can't wait to be pain free. Hope all goes well for you too.
  • Posted

I would say try to think beyond the day of surgery. Plan to be living life without the restrictions which have driven your THR. Don't fret about the op until 5 mn before; why waste that energy. Calmly go about preparing for your discharge, nice bed, nightwear, suitable clothes, fridge stocked, DVDs, books, etc. keep cosy use the recovery time well. Get your supplements, phone to hand. Have a plan day by day to do a little more.  Rest enough, phone yr friends, take enough painkillers but not too much. It does improve in leaps and spurts, some good, some bad days. Keep yr legs up if you get swelling. Don't dwell too much on the dressing and staples. Keep moving gently and enjoy the rest! It will be worth it a few months down the line. Tell yr story on here and lighten your load! Courage
    • Posted

thanks. I will try to take your advice & start preparing for homecoming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.