TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT. LEAKAGE FROM 6 DAYS AFTER SURGERY

Posted , 12 users are following.

HI  i had my Total hip replacement surgery on Tuesday 12th Jan. My surgeon told me that i may have some leakage, clean dressings and one can see the

leakage on the dressing, the wound looks clean does not look red or swollen.

I have been doing what the Physio told me to do regarding exercise. I am overweight so i was thinking that this may be contributing to it. Rung the hospital where i had the surgery they told me to ring them if it is still doing it over the next few days, well tomorrow will be a week since my surgery, i am so concerned about it. Any thoughts on the subject. 

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I would definitely get someone to take a look at just to put your mind at rest xx
    • Posted

We have kept the wound clean i am a fanatic about this type of thing. I am asking my Gp for a home visit this Wednesday and she can have a look.

My staples do not hurt, oh my goodness when the dressing is taken off it hurts quite a lot because of the bruising. x

• Posted

You know I had a lot of leakage but the doctor said it was not discoloured. It was not hot but my ankles were swollen so I needed to put my feet up for at least an hour three times a day. But if you feel concerned the doctor is there for you. It does not matter how meany times you call they should help. Ring then. I'm sure it's fine but for your peace of mind ring then. 

Hope all is ok. Take care x

• Posted

My surgery was over about noon and I was up in the afternoon to use the restroom and I had some bleeding. They reinforced my bandage at that time. The next day it happened again a bit. Nothing to really worry about, but as a patient it was frightening. I worried about moving too much and that it would happen when I got home. There was nothing to worry about though. I didn't bleed much more at all. I was sent home with some extra dressings in case it did happen. All was well, but I can understand your concern, I felt the same way. It all turned out fine 😊
  • Posted

Is your dressing going to be changed by the district nurse, or as I had to, at the GP surgery. If so  they can look at it. Otherwise get an appointment PDQ
  • Posted

Hi I had this and it turned out it was the stuff on the plaster itself was irritating my wound and had to have a doctor come out every day and change dressing
  • Posted

What colour is the leakage? I would absolutely organise a doctor to check it, really you don't want to take any risks with your wound. Best to be sure.

Mine was okay, but my mothers was pouring down her leg, she was scared too - but she was fine. It was just fluid that had built up, that was finding a way out. I hope you are okay, let us know how you are.

• Posted

Hi Daywalker, 

Do you have a fever? does it smell  funny - if not, it probably is not an infection - 

in any way, have someone look at it - 

Oh yeah, the area can be so sore and bruised - 

warm welcome to this wonderful forum .... 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I had quite a bit of leakage the first time around - had my surgery nurse fix me up, then had a district nurse come and re-dress it.  Far too much blood for my wife to cope with. 

I'd contact your surgery if you cannot get to the hospital outpatients.

• Posted

When I went to get my stitches out at 12 days the district nurse at first thought I still had a little leakage.  She said that if I did I might need to see the GP for anti-biotics and would need to have it redressed once the stitches were out.  As it was when she did remove the old dressing she realised it wasn't still oozing and all was ok.  

The he point was that this was 12 days and she really was not too worried even if it was oozing so I would be even less worried at coming up to a week unless the leakage is severe.  The fact that the wound looks clean and not red is a good sign.

• Posted

Hi Thursday Next great name, i get my stitched out tomorrow, i posted a comment just now well a longer one. x
  • Posted

Hi guys just an update because this leakage was bothering me, i went back to my Hospital that did the surgery, good news for me my Consultant was in that day he came in and had a look, he told me the reason why i am getting this plasma coming out is because of the Injections i have to put in my tummy everyday. I have to take 54 to stop DVT. Got a script for some antibiotics. The wound is clean, my husbnad changes the dressing everyday, as i am one of those people that has to if you know what i mean. The pain is so much less now great bruise though so hubs tells me. I got in the shower a couple of days this week, oh my goodness it felt good. I get my Metal clips out tomorrow all 38 of them, yes i had the nurse take a pic when she first changed my dressing in hospital. I want to thank you all for your comments. But since coming home on Friday, we got the very sad news that my Dad had passed away, and i can't even go to the funeral which hurts me beyond belief. x
    • Posted

I have only just seen this post Daywalker. So terribly sorry to read your news, what a difficult time. I would find that incredibly difficult to deal with too. Thinking of you
  • Posted

Hi guys just to let you know i have had my Metal Clips out today, i went on Friday last week and they took every other one out, the nurse checked this with my Consultant. It is so lovely to get them out, But difficult showering as now i have my dressing off i can't get any shower gel on it, as we all know water on it, will just have to be fine for now. I can't wait to shower and not worry about my scar, I miss washing my hair everyday too. Hope you all are well. 
  • Posted

Hi guys all was well, but have to go back to hosptal, one of the holes where the stapes were has started to leak, does not smell hubs put a dressing on, my Surgeon is in today, i was doing so well too. I am so angry that i have to go back. I had antibiotics a couple of weeks ago just in case, Looking at the scar it does look a bit red, had a shower yesterday all seemed ok, will keep you guys inofrmed 
    • Posted

So sorry for you Daywalker! It is best to get that taken care of in the best possible way, but not nice that you have to be in the hospital again. Wishing you the best.

I am also sad about one of your previous posts where you mention that your Dad died and you couldn't go to the funeral. That must have been so difficult, and I imagine you are still grieving big-time for your loss. May you be feeling better soon.

• Posted

Oh that's unfortunate - I had quite abit of leakage from mine the first time around - had trips to my surgery nurse, had the district nurse out a few times, and finally back to hospital to get it sorted, which they did.

Second time around, hardly any leakage at all - not sure if he used more staples or not.

No smell is good - you don't want an infection, but much better if the hospital clean you up using sterile water etc. and either tape or glue up the bit that's leaking.

Graham

• Posted

Totally annoying for you, but definitely worth going to the hospital especially if it is a little bit red. Hoping for you that they can quickly fix it for you. 

Are you staying in? Or just visiting.

I don't think your previous messages came through, or I missed them, but wanted to say so sorry again...too many things at once. We are all here for you. Take care today and hope it goes well.

• Posted

Hi Annie yes so very sad about my Dad passing away, i lost my Mum also 3 yesra this month, the pain is beyond words now i have lost both parents, like my husband. I went back to the hospital today my Consultant/surgeon was in he came to see me did not seem that worried but told the nurse to take a swab. My surgeon put me on  a course of Flucloxacillin. My scar is clean it is not leaking from that it is from the tiny hole from the staple that was taken out. My scar is looking great lovely and clean. My Surgeon did say that if it is still like this next Wed then he talked about me going back into hospital putting me out yes that big needle again and cleaning the wound out, it is not he has to open up the whos scar, just a portion i just did not think to ask him if i would have to have staples again, which do not bother me as i did even feel them in , it is the fact that i feeel i am starting from scratch again, x
    • Posted

I am just visiting Rose they cleaned it up, packed it out, and i am home back in bed, i just hope it stops, it is only coming from one of the small holes from the staples that were taken out, not the wound/scar itself i just do not know, hubs has taken such could care and i am such a clean person, had another shower yesterday washed my hair, i just did not think this would happen, my wound has had freshair on it, but is a little red on more meds nor Flucloxacillin, but if i still have this leaking by next Wed, my Surgeon wants me to go back into hospital which means going under again knocking me out and cleaning the wound out. As if i do not have enough emotion with my Dad passing away only a couple of weeks ago, and i could not even go to the funeral because of my recovery. Thank you Rose x
    • Posted

Hi when you had to go back and go under gain, seems like they stapled you up. I did not think they would as they don't have to cut to deep, i guess i will know in 7 days if i am gong back to see my most amazing Surgeon, he is just so cute i want to flatpack him and bring him home, he did laugh so did my husband when i said that to him after my surgery, x
    • Posted

Here's hoping that it all turns out well. You don't need any more worries! Take good care...
    • Posted

Hi Annie i have to go back into Hospital, went back to see my Surgeon i have to go back tomorrow, if my surgeon can fit me in, I can't even begin to tell you how i feel i have no words x
    • Posted

Oh, I am so sorry for you Daywalker. Sending you all of my good vibrations and warm hugs. I'm hoping this will take care of it once and for all. Will be cheering for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.