Total hip revision

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have bilateral hip replacements in 1997. Two weeks ago I start experiencing pain top of left hip on movement. X-rays, MRI, bone scan and hip aspirations are all negative. My doctor scheduled a total hip revision in two weeks citing " the implants lasted 19 years and we should revise all components. The stem is cemented and liner is plastic. I have also a history of gout and I wonder since all tests and images are negative, could it a hip gout pain?

Thank you

B. Norries

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would go to an orthopedic surgeon, one who does hip revisions, in a different practice for a second opinion before going ahead with that surgery. It could very well be something else!
    • Posted

You just read my mind. I am in process of booking an appointment for a second opinion.

Thank you

B.Norries

• Posted

Excellent! I am sensitive to this issue since I had THR last July and things have never been right for that hip/thigh. I have a continuing bad limp and pain that my original surgeon was unable to diagnose, so I went for a second opinion. New surgeon was able to diagnose torn gluteus medius tendon from MRI, but he also referred me to another surgeon in his practice about possible other problems. So I had the hip aspiration as they wanted to rule out infection. X-ray, MRI and aspiration are all negative for infection. I had one elevated marker for infection with bloodwork, but it could have been because I had a horrible sinusitis (lasted a month) at the time of that bloodwork. So when the tendon repair surgery is done it will be an open incision, and both new surgeons will be there, and they will check for other problems in my hip. I may end up with a revision, but won't know until they see what's happening. 

There is so much musculature and other soft tissue in the hip that there can be many reasons for pain and disability. It may be that your implants are fine, so why rip them out if it isn't necessary? Maybe someone else can diagnose a different problem. Good luck, Beck!

• Posted

Dear Anniek,

Thank you for your much needed information about your hip situation. I really feel for you, especially it hasn't that long since you had THR. I have endured a lot of pain on both hips for a long time, so I know how it feels. I had my first bilateral hip replacements in 1997. I was blessed to have zero complications in more than 19 years until three weeks ago when pain showed up again uninvited. Thank to you I was able to make an appointment this coming Monday with a hip revision Doctor.

My best wishes for you. I believe you will get to the bottom of your hip problems since joint implants has evolved tremendously in the last twenty years.

Good luck

B.Norries

• Posted

Hi Beck,

​Please get second even third opinions regarding Revision hip surgery . If your test aren"t showing any loosening or anything like that I would caution revision. I have had Hip Displaysia from birth and in Nov 1993 I was 25yrs at the time i had to have total hip surgery which came out fine felt never better . But then 22 years later I was having alot problems with back pain my hip started to bother me as well.

​So I went to see orthopedic surgeon and I had bone scan which showed loosening of the hip so I had to have revision. So in Oct 2013 I went ahead and had the surgery. with revisons nerve damage is mush more likely and I came out of that surgery getting sciatic nerve damage its the risk we take having surgery .Long story short I was unable to return to my job and have been on Disability ever since.

​So make sure you really need revision and find someone that specializes in revisions. Gout I know is very painful as well . Please let us know how you are doing.

​Jackie

• Posted

Dear Jackie,

Thank for your post. I just made an appointment this coming Monday with an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hip revision. I know I will eventually have hip revision at point, but it has to be justified. It a painful surgery with a lengthy recovery time.

Will let you know after my visit

wish you the best

Beck

• Posted

If you have reports about the results of the testing, be sure to bring them with you, and any CDs of the x-rays, MRI and bone scan. I even took photos of the x-rays that they saved during the hip aspiration! Good luck on Monday. Keep us posted!
    • Posted

ironically, I am going for my pre op tomorrow at the same hospital that I have all my records. I will go along with the pre op as planned. But if Monday second opinion visit reveals that no need for surgery, I will definitely cancel my upcoming revision surgery.

Thank you

Beck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.