Total knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

As I said before I had my surgery aug 8 and I've had a very slow start and I have been going to PT from day one 3 times weekly doing my exercises at home rented the elite seat that my dr. Said I had to have, still walking with cane, still can't ride my horse and Now my PT said I've lost all the muscle in my leg. Have anyone heard this before. I'm so depressed I had to go get medication. How long can this go on. ?????

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can only imagine how frustrating this process must be for you. If you have been working this closely with physical therapy for over 3 months perhaps one suggestion may be to find a new therapist. I don't know your age or what your physical fitness level was before surgery but if you have "lost all the muscles in your leg" you wouldn't really be walking at all. Secondly I would recommend that you begin pool therapy or water exercising to help increase your muscle tone and strength.  Lastly what does your surgeon say about this - you should also consult with them about your concerns and post-op status. At 3 months post op everyone is in a different place with their recovery and it's way too soon to be giving up on your recovery. Keep working on your exercises every day and allow yourself adequate rest, proper nutrition and hydration. All of these are also important for a steady recovery. This is a long process and can take up to s year or more to fully recover. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi im 60 and very active. I was walking 5 miles and showing horses. I think doing not much is the hardest for me. I did put a call into my dr and I have stated doing the pool. I had a slow start with little improvement. That my dr sent me to his PT but it was a 80 mile drive so I did it for one month and I used the elite seat. I now rent this stretching machine.
    • Posted

Yes, I struggle also with the decreased activity level compared to my pre surgery self. But every week I notice a little improvement compared to the week before.  I misunderstood you and thought you had been doing PT consistently since your surgery. Hopefully the pool will help you move forward. If you were walking 5 miles per day (is that correct?) before surgery you should certainly have the physical strength to persevere. Keep up the good work and try to find things that lift your spirits. Remember to measure your progress not day by day, but week by week. smile

• Posted

Hi Shari

I can only tell you I did not do the excersises very much . Did a few in a hot bath, as doing the exercises caused days of additional pain.

I am 16 weeks in now my knee / leg swells a little as I am on my feet for most of the day, but recovers over night. Stopped the icing but still taking hot baths.

Still progressing the leg bend, but it's coming with time.

It's a nasty operation I can quiet believe having both knees done at the same time causes the healing to take longer.

I need my other knee replaced so glad I did not have them done together.

Good healing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.