Total knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

It's now 3 weeks since my top operation and I am still in constant pain. My GP has given me Tramodol to try and help but it isn't doing very much to ease it sad

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Peachy60,

I take Tramadol bit was advised by my GP to take it with 2 paracetamol. It takes something else to kick start the Tramadol off as they are pain killers of totally different types. They are safe together providing you apply the safe consumption guide. When taken together they work wonderfully.

Same applies for aspirin. Hope this helps.

Just had my second TKR and all went well. I am 70.

Blee

• Posted

Hi Blee83,

I am 70 years old also. I had my left TKR on November 30. Tomorrow is weak 12 for me and I only have pain at night usually. I was going to see about getting my right TKR in august. My surgeon had told me that the second one is always easier. When I said why, he said because you know what to expect. How long ago was your second TKR and was it easier? There were several weeks in pain that I wished I had not had my left TKR done. But like everyone says, you kind of forget the pain. I know I have to have the right one done and I'm getting older and think I should not wait too long.

• Posted

Oh that helps a lot!

Actually I'm sure the nurse in the Nuffield told me to take them together.

Thank you smile

• Posted

Hi Peachy,

I hope you'll start to feel better, you can take two of both at the same time if the pain gets too severe, again, my GP assures me they are safe to take four times a day in that dosage. I tried to keep it to one tram and two paracetamol during the day and two of each at night. You can ice during the day to reduce the pain. Exercise is so important, ice first then exercise, reduces any pain but don't over do it. Gradually bend until you get to 90 degrees, then work slowly to the 100+. You'll get there, but icing is important. Both my knees are great now, the latest one 10 weeks, still a bit sore but it will get there. No pain killers now just exercise.

Hope yours will be the same.

Blee83.

• Posted

Hi

Unfortunately you could be only half wave as for most 6 weeks can be a start to pain reduction

Hot baths and icing permanently gave some relief.

Good healing

• Posted

THREE WEEKS and just Tramadol?  Is your doc a sadist?  TKR surgery requires full-on opioids for at least 30-60 days.  Vicodin, Norco, Percocet plus a muscle relaxer like Flexeril.  PS: Percocet doesn't have the constipating side effects of Vicodin and Norco.

Get some serious pain relief...NOW!!!!!!!

• Posted

You must be in the USA I think?  Doctors here in Europe are much more sadistic than yours over there.  I was expected to survive just on paracetamol (acetominophen) after day 3 . . .I had to fight tooth and nail to get a low grade tramadol presecribed for twenty days . . . May be a bit better in the UK, but here in Spain they seem to ha ve forgotten the existence of decent pain killers. My first PT session, on day three after the op, was at 12 O clock . . the last pain killer was a acetominophen at 8 a.m.  As you can imagine, I told her to go away and leave me alone!

• Posted

Hi, are you in the U.S ?

I'm in the UK!

I have just had another suggestion about Medstead. Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

US...yes.  They gave me Percocet and Flexeril...minimal relief.  Unfortunately for me, I'm opioid-resistant.  Dilaudid works for kidney stones but they don't prescribe that for anything else.  For pain, I'm pretty much on my own.

So I use my mind as best I can.  Remember, the mind can only focus on one thing at one time.  If you're concentrating on the pain, you're basically screwed.  Move your mind somewhere else.  Meditate, read a book, watch a movie, do needlepoint, kill zombies on Xbox...  If you just sit around thinking about the pain, you're toast...

• Posted

I'm keeping busy as much as I can and have read lots of books since I came out of hospital!

Here in the UK our Doctors don't prescribe as much as yours!

• Posted

No kidding.  That's why we have a town like Muscogee, Oklahoma with a population of 38,000 and nine...yes, NINE...drug rehab clinics.  These people pop this crap like Skittles.  I HATE these drugs...I'll find my own way around the pain.

However...for the first 30 days of a TKR, I'll take anything I can get, even for a little relief.  It's just freaking brutal!!!  One down, one to go...but I'll wait a year so that I am fully recovered...and maybe some of the memories will have faded...yeah, right...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/two-guys-with-canes-limp-into-a-bar--534980

• Posted

I totally agree with you..I'm 8 wks tomorrow and still take a reduced amount of options for pain.

• Posted

Hi Peachy

I m in UK i was prescribe co codomol capsule there paracetamol and codene

they worked well for me they also said i could take a couple of ibrupephen in the night when pain woke me up .... only disadvantage they caused me to be constipated .

• Posted

Oh..I do!! No hero here. If I'm really in pain, that's what they prescribed them to me for. Options on the former reply was supposed to be opiods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.