Total Knee Replacement -Burning Pain

Posted , 79 users are following.

My mom had a total knee replacement 8 days ago and has severe burning all around the joint. It gets worse when she's sitting and raises her foot up to straighten her leg. She has to do to exercises and the pain was so bad today that she was in tears. The therapist wasn't very helpful and acted like my mom was over reacting. Has anyone else has so much burning after a knee replacement?

5 likes, 114 replies

114 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Cindy and Cindi's Mum

This is early days. It is a lot , a lot of pain after operation, there were days that after taking all drugs I could take plus 100 mg morfine, I wanted to call ambulance (I know it was stupid of me) to ask them to give me extra injection as I cold not bear the pain.

Unfortunately you need to do exercises , even through pain.  Tell your mum to take your painkillers 30 min before exercises.  

The pain goes a bit, but even now, after 9 weeks of operation, I have evenings that are very painful, especially if I done a bit too much during the day.

Please tell your mum that it will get better, definitely.  The first days are very difficult.  We all went through it.

Best of luck = Grace

• Posted

Thank you so much! She's worried that something is wrong and that she may need another surgery to correct the problem. She took care of me after I had a hip replacement so she understands a lot of it but I don't think she's was prepared for the pain. 

I'll share your comments with her and I'm sure it will comfort her.

Thanks!!

• Posted

I haven't had burning but a lot of swelling and a sciatica pain down my leg. I too have found the exercises very painful. Had my op on Mon. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I just wanted to say thank you I had complete knee replacement surgery a week ago and I am having a lot of pain, but I am walking and doing the exercises too, the ice packs are uncomfortable but really seem to help and reduce the swelling, I have a lot of swelling and bruising. I just want to walk again without a walker
    • Posted

I had my op last Tuesday; the pain is horrendous; I too am suffering sciatica which is also unbearable! I have this trickling feeling going down my leg but nothing visible??? Yes the exercises are hard, extremely painful and nigh on impossible! 

Hope it improves for us both Jen x

• Posted

Tell Mum to hang in there. I had a right TKR five years ago and experienced the burning sensation for a fair time afterwards. I would describe it as acute discomfort rather than pain. It gradually went away but always benefitted from a brisk rub occasionally. I'm told the burning is because the nerves just below the skin surface have been disturbed. Exercse is important and therefore so are painkillers.

Some people sail thru the operation but others, like your mum and me have to put up with the discomfort and a lot worse if the letters on this forum are accurate

I had the left TKR 10 weeks ago and the burning sensation is back. I find Tramadol helps a lot but not everyone can tolerate that drug. The strange thing with me is that now that the left knee is burning, the right one has started again! No one can tell me why and I'm hoping they will both settle down soon.

• Posted

Thanks. I had pain in my "good hip" not long before my hip replacement on the other side. They called it sympathy pain. It seems odd but apparently it's quite common when you have two of the same joints, appendages, etc.  I had no idea.  😊
  • Posted

Thanks for all the help and advice. She's going to call the doctor if it doesn't improve a little but it really helps knowing others have had similar experiences. 
  • Posted

I had a lot of swelling, and that gives a burning sensation, and yes, sitting with your knee bent (like at a desk) is very painful. Tell her to get the legs up as often as she can, ice it for 10mins or so several times per day, and it will improve. The hardest time to cope I found was at night, so I lay on my back with the legs straight but on pillows and a folded quilt to get them higher than my heart. That reduced the swelling overnight, so each morning things felt better, and I always did my first lot of exercises then. Rested after that, and started on the icing etc. I have a business and found the difficulty running that was trying to keep up with computer work when I couldn't cope sitting at a desk for months! If your mum has a recliner chair, that's the best way to sit...
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice. Mine (partial knee replacement) is 5 days out and the burning and pain is so unbearable. I cannot sleep. I was told to use the CPM (could be wrong initials) machine for 8 hours a day. It's brutal. I always prided myself on being a tough girl but their is nothing tough about me now. Any advise would be so appreciated ! Thank you very much!

• Posted

had rt tkr on 8/1/2014...unbearable burning pain...this helps me...run a tall narrow upright fan  on my knee next to my bed helps keep it cool...I also ice constantly..using coleman [bought in walmart for $1.47 in usa } ice substitute cold packs...wrapped in a pillowcase...i hope it will pass....but I am now at 5 weeks ...go to physical therapy..keep trying....know that you are not alone in all this...I live near boston ma....and am a retired nurse ,,,never realized how tough this is ...best  wishes for your recovery ...it just takes time and patience...thank you for letting me know  I also am not alone and  maybe its part of the process
    • Posted

I had both my knees done at the same time on 7/7/2014 it is so good to find this site, I am glad I am not the only one with these issues. The buring in my leg had finally stop for the most part, I did a lot of icing and sitting my legs up so they are higher than my heart. Now I am having problem walking without a cane, it seems to be all in my head, can anyone out there give out some advice how to overcome the fear of falling?
    • Posted

Hi Patricia, I'm nearly 11 weeks post op. I haven't really had a problem walking unaided (plenty of other complaints!) but I started off going without a crutch in the house then with very short walks on the flat then built up to longer ones. Do you still see a physio? There are exercises that improve your balance and these could help. Someone else on this site has mentioned these. I've thought of getting one of those folding sticks to take with me in case I get tired. Maybe you could take one with you as reassurance? I'm sure you'll do it. Like every other aspect of this recovery, it'll come in time, I'm sure. Good luck.

Jen 

• Posted

Thank you the idea of taken a cane for reassurance. I am still going to PT, but range of motion is very poor still, I do the excerice at least two times a day. How is your range of motion going?
    • Posted

Hi Patricia, my range of motion is pretty good I think and I've managed to get the leg more or less straight. I still get quite a bit of muscle pain at the back of the leg though which gets worse when I walk downhill. The only thing the physio suggests is stretching exercises! I suppose it's the same for you with improving the range of motion. It's hard and tiring keeping them up though isn't it? I try to do mine 3 times a day but they take about 1/2hour each time. I also try to use my stationary bike each day. But I still get frustrated at lack of improvement in the discomfort. We'll get there, I suppose. 

Jen x

• Posted

Had my knee replacement Nov 7 using cane now but the burning pain or discomfort is terrible what was the cmean thing you bought . Ice packs don't stay cold enough . Taking celebrex in morning at night neurotin

Some motrin during day or tylenol any suggestions to eliminate burning sensation or electric shock sensation your help is greatly appreciated. Sorry about punctuation

• Posted

Just take your time . I sometimes feel the same way. Concentrate on each leg movement

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I had my tkr on Nov 8th. Mine is a nagging deep pain like my muscles need rubbed but when I do it doesn't help. I also have pains like lightning shooting from my ankle to my hip constantly, and I am sure it is probably the nerves. Do u also have that? Seems everyday it is a different pain in a different area. I'm over it lol! I also have to get the other one done when this is healed and I'm terrified because of how horrible the pain has been. I finally get to see my surgeon next week to ask him maybe how long the nerve pain last. I hope not long. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

I get that deep nerve pain too. I was prescribed Gabapentin for deep nerve pain. I take 1 at bedtime and it helps me sleep.
    • Posted

Had aTKR 11/14 3 weeks ago started with burning pain & soreness I am now limping so badly I am barely able to walk!  Do not understand why I'm suddenly having pain & swell g this far away from surgery!  I have not been happy with the results only about 85% ROM but don't want to go through all that pain again for a 5% improvement

• Posted

I did try that too but didn't help. The pains eventually went away but now I'm dealing with the other one. I had my right tkr on Oct 20th, and actually this one was a lot better.

• Posted

How is your walking going now? I had TKR on right leg 6 months ago and my left I TJ’s ago and am still not able to walk very well.. very very stiff and painful in the back of my knees...are you doing better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.