Total loss of cartilage

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just had pelvic xray. Total loss of cartilage in both hips. But I can manage the pain with aspirin 300 mgs, about 8-10 a month. How long could I continue to manage the problem with occasional analgesics? I am A1 fit and do not want to take on the risks, and inconvenience of a total hip replacement. Is anybody else in this position? I am 70.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire, just because you have no cartlage doesn't mean that there is no synovial fluid on bones, investigate MSM you have to work up gradually to a dose of about 10grams to be effective , it's non toxic , also star flower oil caps can help lubricate, rose hip caps cut inflammation, investigate natural alternatives then cut down on the aspirin gradually as the natural stuff has to get into the body by degrees before it starts to take effect, hope this helps,,

Chasser

• Posted

Thanks very much Chasser, I will certainly look into this. 
  • Posted

I don't know much about hips but in the case of my fingers I let one of the joints go far too long which restricted the options available to the surgeon and he has told me that if I let it go on too long he has nothing to work with and can't do a replacement. So I would check with your surgeon how long they think before it needs to be done. Assuming you are in the UK remember to factor in the waiting time as well.

I know the inconvenience after the op but the life you will have afterwards will be amazing, especially if its currently limiting your movement.

For me its a no brainer, get rid of the pain and get the movement back .

• Posted

Hi, Claire:

Your answer to taking on the risk and inconvenience of a total hip replacmeent may depend on where you live.

I am 60 and had bilateral hip replacement last August. I was bone on bone with suck-the-life-out-of-you pain. I was either laying in bed, swimming in the pool, or using a transport chair to get around.

My surgeon used the anterior approach, so no muscles or tendons were cut. Consequently, my recovery has been rapid and dramatic. (And no restrictions afterwards!) I was up walking the next day.

I live in the United States and had my surgery done at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. In my own hometown, the anterior approach is not available. 

I cringe at the horror stories I've read about so many others. So, I think if you can get yourself into the hands of a great surgeon and have a minimally invasive approach, you should go for it! I've been gardening, brick laying, and all kinds of other things I would not have been able to do a year ago! The better shape you're in before surgery, the better your outcome.

My doctor is a trauma surgeon. Maybe that had something to do with the expertise of his work. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, it will help my decision. My consultant at Wrightington U.K. would do the posterior approach. Any comments on this please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.