Tough year please read !!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

March 2015 had a vaginal hysterectomy where my bladder was lacerated almost in half ..April surgery number 2 June surgery number 3 nov surgery number 4 Jan 2016 surgery number 5 and feb 4 th was surgery number 6 for the caudea equina syndrome..on top of all that I have to cath now have no control over sphincter muscle and drop foot on both legs..and had 3 serious staph infections. I am a mother of 4 I'm 35 all my kids in sports I was a ice skater my whole life , runner ect this has been awful and taken so much away from me and my kids ... And the caudea equina was caused from the first surgery ...😢

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes I'm the same..in away I've lost my job as I'm no longer fit, or should I say do a job with a lot of manual handling. I did a lot of sports to, football (uk), Mountain biking and loads at the gym. Now for the last 3 years all on hold. I can get about and my daughter understands, but as a person I feel bad on the inside.

I've now got numbness in my hands to and been told I've got more problems higher up, so looks like my future is more waiting lists.

Sorry to here about yourself and I don't want to come across as arrogant....but we are all different and it's just nice to get the frustration out as doctors and Consultants don't seem to Listen to there patents...if they had listen to me back in 2013 then things might have been different. Good luck with your recovery and best wishes too.

DAVE

• Posted

Wow!

So sorry. To say you've been to hell and back is an understatement.   Please tell me you have changed surgeons, from the original one?

I had a hysterectomy in 1988, but the old fashioned way, cutting me, like in a C-section.

I hope you have retained an Attorney.

• Posted

Sorry, I sent the last message before I finished. Actually this MS sometimes makes my hands have poor motor skills and it can be a little challenging typing, or texting.

How are you doing enotionally from all this?

Do you have a good support system?

People with chronic illnesse[s] will tend to go through a grieving process, for their "old self", the person they were. It's normal.

It's hard enough to lose yourself, when your an active person, athletic, but a whole other thing, when you have young children, that depend on you.

Such simple things, that others take for granted, as going out and playing with your children. Participating in their sports, cheering from the stands.

Honestly, I can't say that I can know exactly what you're going through, but I know, that when I was in my early 30s, with 2 young children is when I first became ill. I was in denial, for the longest.

Just as you I was very athletic, played baseball. I was at the top of my career, a workaholic. Who wants to give up something, that most people work their life to achieve?

Then the guilt, for feeling like I was absent from participating in so many meaningful things, with my children.

I felt I had lost my identity. I became very depressed! I fought depression for several years and was put on medication for it. Thankfully, today I'm ok and haven't been depressed in years.

I think acceptance and learning to work with what I do have has helped a lot. For me I've learned to do things even at my age, to compensate for things that I lost the ability to do.

Drop foot I suffered from, with my right foot for years. I use to fall quite often, due to this. I worked hard, to retrain my brain, where now it's more like a reflex, to pick the end of my foot up, than having to make a conscious effort. Some days I still struggle with it, as MS doesn't always give me a choice, but on those days I make sure to be extra careful and always think before each step, to pick my foot up.

Shawna you are so much stronger, than what you know.

I know it doesn't seem like it now, because you've really had a brutal year, but through our struggles we become stronger. I know, if someone would have told me that years ago, I probably would have screamed at them, or punched them. Ha

Do you journal?

What is your prognosis?

Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Message me anytime.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.