Tracheal bronchitis and asthma flare up after virus

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

Now on my second course of prednasoline over the last few weeks.doc initially thought it was asthma flare up only.symptoms improved but never fully resolved .doc felt chest sounded clear and I continued with my inhalors and montelukast tablet.last week things got worse again.doc prescribed more prednisalone over the phone (40mg x5 then tapering off for a few days at the end) .coughing got ridiculous and was barely sleeping due to cough and steroids.

Ended up at my Out of hours drop in hospital service twice in 12 hours the cough became so bad and was given a nebuliser and antibiotics as a back up.doc could see how unwell I was feeling but felt chest sounded clear (mind you I was diagnosed as chest clear 4 days before I was hospitalized with pneumonia! )He said the cough sounded very sore (it was!)and diagnosed trachael bronchitis which is a first for me. Also said cough could last a few weeks. Not really bringing much up off chest and the little that's there isnt nasty looking. Suffer from rhinitis and post nasal drip too.

Feeling quite low about things just now as just feel asthma out of control with nothing much helping so much so I have asked for a respiratory referral to the Chest clinic .since i had pneumonia in March and it's kind of knocked my confidence given i haven't felt 100 % since (asthma wise ) despite a shake up of inhalors and clear xray results.

Today I felt bit better because I realised I actually got a few more hours sleep last night without coughing anywhere near as much.energy levels were also better so even managed some housework. However today was also the day i have started to taper off my steroids so tonight my chest is sounded raspier again and praying I'm not taking a step backwards .

Has anyone had a mixture of asthma flare up and tracheal bronchitis before and have you taken steroids to help?

I am wondering if I should be contacting the doc tomor to see if I need to stay on the 40mg of prednisalone a bit longer?

Any help you could offer would be appreciated. Got two young kids and just want to crack on and get back to my most normal asap

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I too am struggling with something similar like you for past 1 year. I think the meds you are on are OK. Apart from that if you are not taking any suppliments you should start taking them specially high on Vitamin D. Also try to find something that has everything in it including vitamins and minerales. Vitamin D i helps prevent asthma attack and some minerals support health lungs. Hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Hi there

Thanks so much for your reply. I had actually been thinking about Vitamin D but had heard mixed reports about what strength to take given it can supposedly affect the kidneys (or liver ?) Will look into the other supplements to as feel like I have no immune system at the moment.

Actually managed to get a cancellation for the respiratory out patient clinic tonight and felt like I won the lottery.what a sad life I lead lol.

iJust praying something good comes out tonight.I will ask the consultant about the Vitamin S etc. Given you are experiencing similar symptoms I will let you know of anything worthwhile from tonight if you think it might help?

Thanks again

• Posted

Thanks Beth, from all the research that I did, Vitamin D came out to be on top when it comes to lungs. I also read that there is no side effect of high doses of vitamin D. If you take it over the counter it will probably be somewhere around 2000 IU. I take 1 multivitamins which include minerals too, and one Vitamin D suppliment which has 2000 IU. So, in total I take about 3000 IU. Usually our skin makes vitamin D from sun light itself(your skin needs to be in direct contact of the sun). But thanks to our lifestyle we dont get enough sun..LOL. So we need other sources of this vitamin including food. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.