tramadol addict former oxy addict

Posted , 3 users are following.

i've been taking tramadol for 7 months...realizing now that i want to stop taking it I can't!  Terrible terrible sweats, upset stomach and so many tears.  Any advice?

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have! I feel your pain. It's awful. You can't get off the toilet you're constantly sweating and up and down in mood but you're winning. You're in the driving seat now. The symptoms will ease in a few days just persevere I promise you if you carry on as you are you will feel so so so much better sooner than you'd think. Please don't give up!

If you need anything just shout!

Jayd

• Posted

I feel your pain, I had a similar realisation around February this year - withdrawal is terrifying stuff.

You've got 3 fundamental choices:

- the slow taper reducing down 5mg every 2-3 weeks.

- a temporary substitute Opiate for 3-4 weeks whilst you quit Tramadol I.e. Subutex, Methadone

- anti withdrawal medication for 3-4 weeks while you quit I.e. Lofexidine/Britoflex

The first option is best undertaken with support from your Doctor or good friends. The others will require you to go to your local drugs and alcohol services.

I tapered from 100mg of MST/day + Oramorph for breakthrough pain down to 40mg/day MST and then started to go a bit mad as I realised it was going to take many more months to get clean. I then went to the local drugs services and they gave me Lofexidine which allowed me to quit immediately without any withdrawal (but I was half asleep for 3 weeks).

What are your pain levels like? This is an important question when choosing your path - pain will increase quite a lot on cessation and continues for quite some time before your bodies Opiod pain receptors recover their normal function.

Good luck on your journey, keep on touch.

• Posted

pain is coming and going now.  not terrible.  Wow, I had become addicted to Oxy by taking as subscribed for 6 years...i weaned off (i thought) final day taking nothing i ended up in ER, from there to a rehab for 7 day detox.  then home and sick for 4 more weeks...withdrew from Suboxin!  '

So when i felt good enough to stop taking tramadol, i freaked out when i got that ol feeling back.  The awful sweating, no sleep, tummy issues, crying and anxiety!  I am trying reducing by 1/2 pill every 5 days.  I was taking 2 50mg hcl 4 times a day.  Will that work?

• Posted

That's gotta suck having to go through it again - I'm scared it will be my turn again soon if they decide to take the bolts out of my back.

Your reduction plan sounds great, although they always say splitting pills is a bad idea as you break the seal, which means it will be a faster release I.e. stronger effects for a shorter time. I would get on to your Doctor to get proper low dose tablets.

The tummy issues can be helped a lot by standard anti diarrhoea meds, my GP gave me some Loperamide Hydrochloride, seemed to help.

• Posted

should I try dropping one every 5 days rather than 1/2
    • Posted

The bigger the drop the worse the withdrawal generally - if you need to keep working go as slow as you can
    • Posted

so are you saying no withdrawal with lofexadine ?
    • Posted

Correct, just tiredness. It's fantastic stuff.
  • Posted

has anyone tried anti anxiety meds while weaning off?
  • Posted

I took icy for 6 years as prescribed by a quack Doctor. I weaned off and still ended up in ER then to rehab for 7 days, then I withdrew from the soboxen for 10 days. missed 4 weeks of work. I can't miss work this time. no sick leave and no money in bank to pay bills. praying for strength
    • Posted

oops it was OXY. not icy
  • Posted

has anyone tried clonazepam?  I'm taking it as needed right now.  Seems to be helping. 

• Posted

I'm guessing it's quite like Diazepam/Valium, yes it should help but beware of a follow on addiction - you should be fine for a few weeks to get you through.
    • Posted

what is "follow on" addiction?  By the way...I'm in the US.  Are you?  It seems some folks sound like they are from another country.  smile  Just curious.rolleyes
    • Posted

You guessed right, I'm from the UK. Quite interesting on this forum how we have different healthcare, different services and even different drugs/drug-names. Obviously it's more similar than different but it is confusing at times, an example: Lofexidine is available in UK but in the US you get Clonidine for Opiate withdrawal, and they are quite different.

"Follow on addiction", I made the phrase up, was just trying to gently remind that Valium/Diazepam and their variants are just as horribly addictive as Opiates.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.