Tramadol Addiction -- help!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello! I'm a 27 year old guy living in South Texas. Some years ago I was in 2 separate car accidents and developed this horrendous back/right leg pain that pretty much ruined life for me. After going to my PCP I was quickly put on Lortab, given X-ray and MRI orders. I was eventually diagnosed with all sorts of fancy terms that included a pinched nerve, herniated disc, and other issues that I can't recall at the moment. Right away I noticed my pain medication giving me this great energy and definitely aiding my pain levels thus allowing me to work and live a normal pretty much pain free life. Although I noticed these quick positive changes, I just as quickly realized that I had grown quite dependent quite quickly on hydrocodone.

I went to my PCP again and explained my situation. He said if my medication was helping, there's no point in taking me off of it. I was adamant in taking something non-addicting so he suggested I start taking Tramadol -- biggest mistake of my life!

I had never heard of Tramadol so when I was told to start taking it I was hesitant because I was afraid it wouldn't provide the same relief but wanted to try it out anyway to help with my new found addiction problem. I quickly realized the max allowed daily Tramadol prescription did not provide the same relief as my former RX of Hydrocodone. So stupid me thought to take more than the recommended dose of Tramadol and ta-da relief! I was taking 300 MG of Tramadol every 4 hours.

Fast forward to now, I'm taking 500mg of Tramadol every 4 hours and I'm in a bigger mess than ever. I've succumbed to getting Tramadol pills illegally and I don't know how to stop. I've attempted stopping what feels like over 30 times and have relapsed each time. Withdrawals for me are like death! I'm so weak when it comes to this. I'm so lost and have fallen into a deep depression.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You should taper down over a period of time if you're taking 2000mg a day try losing 50mg a week! This will stop the withdrawals from being as bad....you feel a little bad but your body will readjust in a couple of days!

Good luck you can and will get there.

Take care 😊

• Posted

We've all been there in this forum. Tapering is a good idea, but inform your PC of what you're dealing with. The meds you get off the internet are not the same. Trust me, they've made a lot of people sick. Don't be afraid to tell a doctor. You're here because you're scared and truly want help. I have a son about your age and I'd only want the best care for him. Get the professional help you deserve and wean off with real, prescribed medication, not counterfeit from India.
  • Posted

I'm on my 7th day cold turkey and I'm never touching tramadol again it's bin the worse days of my life I've done it before but had help tapering which made it not so bad this time I basically locked myself in my flat for a week watching movies going proper cold turkey only thing I had to help me was sleeping tabs as it's worse at night the sharp shooting pains. Restless legs. Sweats. Shivers. I nearly broke on the 3rd day but I just thought no no no what's the point your half way there I even turned down 200 tablets from my guy that supplys me # high 5

Anyway I'm proud of myself a week of he'll but I suppose now I'll have more money I won't be trammy snoozing as much but I guess the biggest challenge is staying off them.

Any1 can do it you've just gotta be ready and willing. If your not mind set in doing it there no point trying. So my advice Jonathan get mind set and don't let it beat you tramadol is the devils work

• Posted

Well done for going cold turkey, i tried and failed but did succeed on the tapering...... god awful stuff should be banned :O( Nic

• Posted

I was using (abusing) tramadol for 6 years, up to 25 sometimes 30 50mg pills a day.. i quit cold turkey almost 2 months ago.. hardest thing I've ever done but so very worth it! It hasn't been easy but it can be done if you want it bad enough, the mental part is the hardest but if you get yourself in the right mindset you'll get through it. Just realize it doesn't last forever and the more time you stay clean you'll feel better and better. You can do it, you just have to really WANT to do it. Your life will be a million times better, I can promise you that.. tramadol is evil! Good luck and hang in there!
  • Posted

Hi Jonathan, I completely understand the situation you are in and I'm sure, like me, and a lot of people on here have been in the same situation as you...... my personal advice would be to go back to your PCP and be totally honest with him/her.  Tell them how much you are taking and where you are getting it from.  Tell them you need proper professional help to get of this awful stuff - there is no shame in asking for help!  your young with your whole life ahead of you .... don't let this god awful so called medication ruin that..... good luck and keep us updated..... Nic x
  • Posted

One thing that makes tramadol worse than opiates is the fact that it affects neurotransmitter levels in your brain.

"Tramadol has two different actions in the body. It is an opioid analgesic, which means that it attaches to receptors in your brain to change your perception of pain. It also works like an antidepressant, prolonging the actions of norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain."

Getting those transmitters back to normal levels will be part of what you will have to deal with in your recovery. It is a war with two fronts.

​Here's some more detailed, yet easy to read information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.