Tramadol and Diclophenac

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does this combination work in order to get some sleep ? 

Recently been prescribed this following a shoulder operation when Tramadol alone was not helping. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

When I first started taking Tramadol a couple of years ago it always helped me sleep but towards the end it had the opposite effect. Some people say it does help, others say it "wires"their brain. Suck it and see...well not literally obviously cos that will taste feckin vile! 😀
    • Posted

Maybe I'm expecting results too soon ? 

I will have to wait and see if this combo works in time

• Posted

Tramadol for 9 months and only just had Diclaphenac added a fortnight ago
    • Posted

+1 to this. I try not to take any tram after 6.3p for this reason.
  • Posted

I was put on Tramadol and Amitriptyline. But it depends on you and if you can take Tramadol just before bedtime. I was given 50mg of Tramadol in the morning and 100mg at bedtime, but it made me feel sick.

So, they changed it around again... They upped the Tramadol to 100mg in the morning and at night but the Slow-Release (SR) type. Amitriptyline I take only at bedtime.

But its for back pain and my shoulder.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Tramadol on its own was not helping me sleep as the pain was intense. I don't see any improvement as yet with the addition of Diclophenac. Time will tell I guess Les 
    • Posted

With me, they started me on Amitriptyline, which basically takes the edge off pain, then Tramadol was added in, which did work - but not for long so they told me to take 2 x Paracetamol, 100mg Tramadol and 1 x Amitriptyline. Which I have been on since around Xmas last year. They have tried weaning me off but that failed, so they kept me on them.

• Posted

I'd be wary of taking diclophenac right at bedtime, especially since it doesn't have any sedative effects anyway. Although not as bad as some NSAIDs diclophenac can be rough on your stomach. You should probably remain upright for at least an hour after taking it, or risk heartburn. Diclophenac is in the same class as ibuprophen (eg, Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (eg, Aleve, Naprosyn), and has all the same potential risks and side effects.

You might try diphenhydramine (Benedryl) or doxylamine (original Unisom only) for sleep. I prefer doxylamine (25mg) because it works much faster than diphenhydramine. Although they both sedate to about the same degree, diphenhydramine sneaks up on you, while doxylamine is like a wall falling on you. And a drink of alcohol will make it even more pronounced. (That is what Nyquil originally was, but it was only 6.5 or 7.5 mg. plus alcohol.)

My advice is to get off the tramadol as soon as possible, or at least alternate its use with something else. Don't let your body get accustomed to it, or you could easily find yourself going through the horrors that some of these other posters have experienced.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, I will check out your suggestions 

Cheers !

• Posted

I found that if I took tramadol after 1pm in the afternoon it kept me awake all night because it stopped me breathing if I tried to sleep. It was horrible! Also tramadol gave me loads of energy and really pepped me up and so this was also not good for sleep. Diclofenac is a non steroidal anti imflamatory. They take a few days to get to work and it doesn't have any sedative effect. I would not take anything sedating alongside tramadol as it can be dangerous due to the respiratory problems. Tramadol does not help pain in many people either. I would try an alternative. Codiene is more effective IMO.
    • Posted

Well the combination of Tramadol and Diclophenac isn't helping with my sleep at all. It may well be early days but I don't have much faith in them.

I was using Zapain prior to Tramadol but that wasn't help either. But that was before the operation.

• Posted

Hi,

Have you tried taking diphenhydramine with the Tramadol? I had spinal surgery this past August (reason for the Tramadol) and this worked for me, even when the pain was super-nasty-I-can't-do-this-anymore. Check with your doctor before you do anything. 

Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in Benadryl. 

If your doctor okays it then he/she should give you a dosage guideline. 

I'm in the U.S. (I know a lot of you on here are U.K.) and you can get it over the counter in 25mg, 50mg. I think it may be available in higher mg over the pond because it passed the EU FDA at higher dosages than in the U.S.

I don't want to be a pain the you know what, but...get off the tramadol as soon as you can. Wicked stuff to get off of for most people. Some doctors don't inform their patients well enough to be prepared for the evil 400lb monkey on your back that is waiting to crush you once you stop the pain meds. Tramadol was harder for me to get off of than Oxy and hydromorphone. Granted, I did it cold turkey, but if you read on in the forums, you'll see what I'm saying.

I hope you get some good quality sleep soon. If I don't sleep well my pain threshold goes to sh*t and I get depressed. It's a cycle for people with long term pain. No sleep starts a desent into further pain combined with mental & bodily fatigue. I've got a feeling you know this already.

• Posted

Hi

thanks for your good advice. I am seeing my doctor this week so I will ask the question regarding dosage. It may well be the answer...

My sleep pattern is awful at the moment. Maybe 2 to 3 hours a night the feel dreadful the next day. Not good when trying to concentrate at work.

I have some night shifts coming up soon so I think I need to get a note from my GP to excuse me from those for the foreseeable future 

• Posted

I think it would be really wise and proactive regarding your health if you did get your GP to excuse you from your night shifts. I cannot stress enough how poor sleep can really exacerbate an already painful exsistance. I'm not trying to be melodramatic but the sooner you get some quality sleep going the sooner you'll be feeling better and more like your old yourself.

I didn't think to mention it before, but I also take Ativan (lorazapam) for anxiety. My anxiety goes sky high when I'm not sleeping well and one of the side effects of Ativan is drowsiness. It's just a thought, it really calms you down (.5mg is usually the starting dose). However, you can't take Ativan forever, and you can't just stop it (in theory), like with other meds. It's a Benzo so you're GP might not even want to hear about it unless you do have anxiety issues. I've been on Ativan, on and off, since I was in my teens. I'm lucky that it works for me and that I don't take it more than prescribed. I've heard that some people can get really hooked on the stuff, so there is your forewarning wink

Most of all, I want to say that I think you're going about this the right way. A lot of this was trial and error for me and my doctors. Ativan can help your sleep short term but it can mess up REM sleep long term. Ativan is the only medication I'm on now, and, for me, that's okay. Getting off all the rest of the stuff was top priority. I'll get off the Ativan when it feels right. I've been diagnosed with PTSD and GAD so if I can't get my sh*t together, I might be looking at a sticky situation in the future. BUT, I can only think about now, and now isn't such a bad place to be. Besides, I know in the past was able to be off of it for years. That's comforting wink 

Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.