Tramadol and going "Cold Turkey"

Posted , 10 users are following.

Here in the UK Tramadol is a controlled drug but GP's are still dishing them out like sweets. If you are one of the lucky few that take them without any side affects and don't become addicted then all I can say is you are very very lucky. I have just gone "cold turkey" after taking Tramadol for several years and finding that not only where they not helping at all with pain but I was addicted. I am now on day 30 of being completely drug free, I take nothing at all now and I feel quite proud of myself.

I tried weaning off them a few times, the side affects were dreadful so in the end decided to just stop them all together, after all it couldn't get any worse. It wasn't easy and I found and still do some days that I was so tried I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed some days. That long dark tunnel now has light at the end of it for me, at only 59 I was not going to carry on relying on a dangerous drug that was doing me moe harm than good.

If I can come off them then anyone can.....good luck to all those on Tramadoal and even more luck coming off it.

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Well done you. I came off them 7 years ago by slow taper. I would never touch them again. They didn't help my pain, just put me on a 'high' so I didn't care about the pain. I never took more than 150mg in a day and it was still really hard coming off them. I started to come off them the minute I realised I was addicted. At the time GPs had no idea how addictive they were and just dished them out 100 at a time, no questions asked. So pleased they are now controlled.
    • Posted

Thank you for your comment. A month ago I was taking 300mg a day as recomended by my GP and I felt the same as you as in all they did was put me on a high and made me feel better in myself but did nothing for pain. It was a horrible feeling knowing I was an addict. People automatically think an addict is someone who takes illegal drugs but that is not always the case. more and more people are addicted to drugs prescribed by a doctor. I am so pleased you too maanged to come off the dreaded Tramadol.
  • Posted

You should definitely feel proud of yourself but please no one else go cold turkey as it is very dangerous! Xx
    • Posted

Hi, thank you :-) I know that doing what I did carried risks but it was the only way for me as the weaning made me feel worse than ever. I for one would never ever take Tramadol again even though some days I am in so much pain i am unable to walk... I will just keep patting myself on the back.
  • Posted

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am 53 and today is day five. I feel a little groggy, but so far no twisted anxiety. Thank you.
    • Posted

Well done Michele, I found the first week or so the hardest but it does get easier.My energy levels need a bit of a boost but I work on that by walking my dog for longer each day. When I first stopped Tramadol I could only manage about 20 mins before I felt exhalsted but today I walked for over two hours so not only is my adorable dog enjoying his walks I am too.

Keep it up, you will win I'm sure of it but just take one day at a time.

Best wishes

Annie

ps, let me know how you get on x

• Posted

I have a love /hate relationship with Tramadol. Iv posted on here before during the ladt yr. Long story short...on Tram for 8 yrs. Ladt 2 on the them was up to15-20 a day. I finally realized I was taking them for depression an anxiety fr our daughter dying in 2000 an all the anxiety of losing a child an death. I have 2 sons who now are 17 & 12. So in May of 2014 got sick an dehydrated potassium vety low. Heart palpitations an skipped beats went to ER (in US, Texas)& just wanted to come clean about it all an getting off internet. So I went to detox facility for 5 days since I was on so many. It was horrible first 3 days then got less. I was getting Klonapine an Elavil while in . When got out felt ok but soon was put on Zoloft an it went toxic in me an stopped after 2 1/2 mnths. Then started weaning fr Klonapine that was hard! Then in Nov told I started menopause an I had depression an anxiety so put on Lexapro in Nov. Took till March of this yr. It made me sleepy an gain wt. So stupid me was tired of this black hole an hoplessness an told Dr I wanted to restart Tramadol for depression. It increases serotonin an norepinephrine in brain. Only on 3-4 a day that was in May of this yr. But I could tell I was wanting to go up on dosage so decided to stop again on Sept 4. Then back on Zoloft but made me sick an hurt all over so after 17 days stopped. So now I don't know what to do. Im thinkin of waiting 30 days to rest my body by not taking anything. Im just down rt now an at my wits end. I go to my Ob/Gyn in 12 days .maybe talk about something else. Anyone ever experience Wellbutrin or Cymbalta or Amatriptolyn? Hope everyone is dong ok coming off. Just watch out for low moods.

• Posted

Your reaction to Zoloft leads me to suspect that you may not need any antidepressant that affects serotonin. It sounds like you may not have a shortage of it to begin with, and that your depression and anxiety are "external" in nature, as opposeed to "internal" (organic). You may indeed be better off completely drug free.

For people in this situation I would usually suggest a benzodiazapine antidepressant, but you said it was very hard to stop the clonazepam. That suggests you may have a weakness for benzodiazapines, which would make that risky. That said, I'd still consider that course if you feel you just have to take something.

You might want to look into grief therapy, if grief really is the root of all this.

• Posted

I also used tramadol as an antidepressant though always controlled my dose to a low amount. I like you went through a lot of antidepressants from prozac to mertazipine and they all made me feel rough as hell. My wife is the same and went through lots of meds but never touched tramadol. Have you looked in to counsellors? My wife went private in the end as nhs ones were not very good and the change in her in the last few months is amazing. She went from non functional to almost her old self. She pays £35 a session which is a lot but I would have got a loan and paid 1000's if it got back her health. We happily pay 100'S for a new telly or iPhone so why not for our health? And what good are they if your health is down the drain? That was my reasoning anyway.

I would warn against bezodiazipines as some one suggested as they are also highly addictive. They are ok as a now and then but not suitable for everyday use imo.

• Posted

Well done Barny boy and so you should be proud of yourself ..However I wouldnt suggest anyone doin it cold turkey its a very a very dangerous drug as you know..You know my personal experience of tram detox. The downside to tapering is it takes so long but if you have to function at he same time then It is the best way to get off. Well done again Barny jx
  • Posted

I am in the Us, and am prescribed Tramadol . I don't think it works either and have found that it is suppose to boost the other drugs according to the RA. However, I refuse to take things unless they are working. SOrry , it is my liver and kidneys and well they don't need the extra. I was told to take it every 5 hours on the dot when I explained that it didn't work. Now I sit with them and , tell the doctor that I am taking them and well I have my bottle full. I am not sure about how some one can be addicted to them . I guess we are all different. Great job 30 days with out . I would be proud.
  • Posted

A very well done. I know that wouldn't have been easy at all.

I tried several routes to come off tramadol and what worked for me was when I cross tapered to codeine while reducing the dose as I found codeine easier far to stop. I found going cold turkey was not manageable for me as I could cope with the withdrawal and be a good father to my young 3 kids. Again very well done and I hope you gave yourself a small reward for your achievement.

• Posted

Thank you Tony. Yes I did give myself a reward... a two week holiday in Cyprus which was amazing, I came home only 2 days ago and feel like a different person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.