Tramadol and Hallucinations

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all I have been given a combination of Amytriptline and Tramadol for severe back pain, which I only take at night as i have to keep a clear head for work despite the agony. Anyway the last few nights i have woken and have been having hallucinations. The first time it was as if the whole room was covered in bright blue spots. Then last night as it was getting light there was scribblings all over the wall and other things. I know these are not nightmares as i have been fully conscious. I probably sound crazy but has anyone every had any adverse affects from either of these pills. Its a shame as tramadol is actually helping with the pain.

thankyou

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How much Tram are you on an how much amitrip are u on?
    • Posted

Hi Zio

I take 50mg of Amytriptline and 2 x 50mg of Tramadol. Was taking cocodamal but wasn't easing the pain so doctor put me on Tramadol been on medication for my back since November. Also cut my finger on razor as I was cutting a ladies hair and it bled for over 24 hours just strange side effects.

• Posted

Tramadol is usually given for pain. But alot of Dr's don't realize it increases Seratonin an Norepinephrine in brain. Prob not as much as a antidepressant but it does. An your on a antidepressant used for pain also. So need to watch out for Seratonin Syndrome. Look on Internet about both an show your Dr. Some people can take small amts of Tramadol (like not over 50mg) with sm dose of antidepressants with no trouble. Look up Seratonin Syndrome it will help. Goodluck.
    • Posted

Thank you I will look it up. Doctors seem to help with one problem then cause another 😩
  • Posted

They are both antidepressants. Stop them and call your doctor. Most doctors don't know of the antidepressant effects of Tramadol. It is a dangerous combination.
    • Posted

Hi Michele

Thank you I didn't realise it was an antidepressant. I have an appointment in the morning. So will post what he tells me. Thank you

• Posted

Lisa, listen, most doctors don't know what it truly is. Check some the other forums about Tramadol on this site. Most of us are survivors of its dangers while others are still struggling with the horrible withdrawal symptoms. The hallucinations you've experienced are your warning signs. Continue research on the dangers of Tramadol and listen to your body. Get help if you need it, but don't combine those meds again. Tell a trusted adult what has happened to you. I am almost four months cold turkey after taking Tramadol for 18 months. The longer you take it, the longer it will take to leave your system. Best wishes.
  • Posted

both drugs sent me mad lot of very bad dreams plus amtrip gave me cravings for food and sweets put on more than 2 stone still on tramdol 2x50mg now on gab 9x300mg for PN 
    • Posted

Amitriptyline and mirtazapine made me ravenous! I just never stopped eating while on those! Lol
    • Posted

Hey Marshall,

How are you on 2 x 50mg of Tramadol and 9 x 300mg of Gabapentin.

They normally use Gabapentin to ween people off Tramadol. After 2 weeks I was told to stop Gabapentin because of reactions I had with Dystonic medication. But Gabapentin is better for nerves and seizures than Tramadol.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

You do not sound crazy whatsoever, Tramadol on it's own is a Class "A" drug, and most doctors will prescribe it with Amytriptline at bedtime. I'm on 200mg SR (slow release) and take 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night with 20mg of Amytriptline. On top of all that I also take 2,000mg of Paracetamol.

BTW, I was started on 50mg of Tramadol, after awhile your body becomes immune to the dose and is normally increased.

Tramadol on it's own can cause hallucinations, make you feel awake when your asleep, cause drowsiness, constipation, etc. They can make you feel really down and emotional. I wish was never put on them to be honest, but I suffer from Chronic Pain 24/7 and have to sleep in a sitting position with legs and feet elevated.

I also take Sertraline Hydrochloride on top of the above.

Now, the problem every single one of those drugs contains Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI), in my case, I am on an overdose which my doctor put me on, even though I questioned them at the time. Obviously, the doctor did not know about SSRI's moreso in Tramadol. The trouble is I cannot just stop taking certain drugs due to my condition, because it would cause havoc.

I have an appointment to see my Neurologist Consultant in 2 weeks, which I will be raising this problem with him. But I am on over 30 tablets a day, and 6 injections of BoTox every 10 weeks administered by a Neurologist for Cervical Dystonia (which is the neck area).

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I've taken tramadol with several different anti depressants including amitriptyline and fluoxetine without any problems. Tramadol dose of 4 to 6 50mg with 25mg amitriptyline. It sounds like a side effect rather than serotonin syndrome which some are worried about. Tramadol inhibits the uptake of norepinephrine mostly (comparrd to serotonin) and it's this that often affects sleep. When I take a high daily dose I can sometimes get audible halcinations at night. Somerimes i'd here someone shout my name or something. But I know the difference between real or not (see below why).

To be honest you describe a sleep desorder which I have had my entire life. I wake up in the night and see hear or weird stuff. Sometimes scary sometimes funny. Anyway I grew to learn what they were and usually ignore them and go back to sleep. But these are different to the ones tramadol can cause. For me anyway.

Anyway if you are concerned just discuss it with your gp. Personally I wouldn't panic and stop taking all he meds as your be in a lot of pain for something that may not matter. If it was serious you would well now about it by now smile

• Posted

Hi Lisa,I've been on max tramadol for over 17 years and although I am used to tramadol I will still get now and again what I call deathly dreams,I awake in the night with such a dreadfully feeling in my head so your not alone,I also lay wide awake,I itch untill I have to get up, the way I overcame most of this was to take slow release tramadol and make sure you take it around 8 to 9pm as it last 12 hours (normal fast acting tramadol last less) and you will have the initial high when your awake watching tv, when I have a really bad day I take liquid tramadol as it's in 12.5 mg drops but the closer to bed time I take the fast acting tramadol the worse my sleep is,also your body will adapt to the tramadol and things will get better,after try alsorts including amitriptyline i also take gabapentin for chronic nerve pain and it's a lifesaver,whatever you do naturally keep your Dr in the loop.if I've helped then great and anything you need to know about back and nerve pain feel free to ask,hope you have a nice day and a better night.☺
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply. I went back to my G.P and there was a different doctor on who actually listened to me. He has given me Tramadol slow release which he said should be better so I have yet to try it.

• Posted

Slow release lasts 12 hours and normal tramadol lasts 2 hours

I've been on 8 max sent me nuts now down too 2-4 per day that's with gababpentin 8x 300 mg per day I've PN

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.