tramadol and morphine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took 100mg of tramadol 4.5 hours ago am I ok to take 30mg of morphine?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's not recommended. That is the maximum recommended dose of morphine, and opiates should not be taken with the opioid tramadol.

That's the official line. If you have a high tolerence for morphine, you'd probably be okay. But I would think twice about it.

• Posted

30mg is nowhere near the maximum dose of morphine so I don't know why you would say thst
    • Posted

That was "maximum recommended dose".

While someone who has been on opiates for a long time may be given more, the recommended dosage for novice users is 15 to 30 mg orally every 4 hours as needed.

• Posted

Why do you want to take both? You can take more tramadol if you are still in pain up to a max of 400mg in a day. Best taken with Paracetamol for pain relief. As bird said mixing opiuates is not usually a good idea.
  • Posted

Actually that's fine to take. Tramadol is not an opiate, it just has opiate like effects.

My mum is on morphine and was prescribed tramadol to take alongside.

• Posted

This is very bad advice. Your mum was advised by a doctor who knows her medical history. You do not know the post or or the posters medical history. You do not know their tolerance to opiates either. Both of these drugs can have serious life threatening complications if taken wrong either alone or together.
  • Posted

Just to clarify, "opiates" refers to drugs derived from opium. "Opioids" refers to drugs that have opiate like effects, but are not true opiates.Tramadol is an opioid, and as such, brings its own bag of side effects into the picture. So even if you do not over-sedate yourself, you may find the combination unpleasant. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.