Tramadol and Zopiclone?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Have just been prescribed tramadol 50mg for trapped nerve pain. Occasionally I take 7.5mg zopiclone as I have trouble sleeping, and notice that it is advised not to take sleeping tablets with tramadol, I only use them now and again for 2/3 nights would this be OK? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

(I'm not a doctor, but) Those two medications at that dose sound ok.  Granted, everyone handles mediacation differently.  Just be careful as the Zopiclone is a CNS depressant, and combining it with Tramadol can increase the effects of both medications.
  • Posted

No I definitely would not take that combination. Tramadol can suppress breathing in some people and combined with a sedative, this could be a lethal combination. I coulld not take tramadol after pm or it would stop me breathing every time I lost consciousness and I would jerk awake (luckily). Other people find that tramadol helps them to sleep and so you may find yoou don't have trouble sleeping whilst on it.
    • Posted

Sorry, that post was meant for the OP.
    • Posted

i experience the same issue when take tramadol I didn't understand why until I came across your comment

• Posted

If your doctor prescribed both (as they are both prescriptive drugs) then you should be ok.  If YOU are not sure, either ring your doctor or go to your nearest pharmacy, they will definitely be able to tell you (see as they are qualified to dispence drugs)
  • Posted

Have just been in touch with my GP and it is OK to use both, no problem.
    • Posted

Hope they start to kick in for you. The nice thing about taking the zoplicone is, although it is an addictive drug, you can stop taking it without side effects
  • Edited

Just know that Tramadol has effected a lot of us folks like heroin. Doctors think it's a safe, non-habit forming medication. Before you start, ask your doctor for an alternative. And if you really want to know what Tramadol withdrawals are like, just follow any of the discussion forums.
    • Edited

Tramadol is addictive, the trick is to stay within your prescribed limit and then ease off it when no longer needed. It should be prescription only (and only the user can pick up the prescription or someone showing proof of who they are) + you have to sign for the, the same as other opiate drugs and not available on the internet.  There is also an information sheet that comes with every single packet of tablets that tells you that it can be habit forming and what its contradictions are.  It seems that you guys in the US can only get Tramadol, which is strange, and yes, one should always ask if there are alternatives, but for the kind of pain that injuries or operations like knee replacements cause need an opiate based drug in necessary.  It is a world wide fact that to date there is not another drug on the market that has the same pain killing properties as opiates.  Yes, there are experiments going on all the time, but as yet. Nothing

Any drug, taken over a long period of time is addictive.  The same goes for smoking, caffeine and to a certain extent sugar!

Yes, there are a hell of a lot of people out there in absolute agony through withdrawal symptoms. But you cannot arbitrarily lay the blame at the door of doctors. There is no shame in being hooked on a specific painkiller.  At the time of taking it must have been a real sanity saver. So let's not knock it and just support those that are trying to come off it, without making them feel bad for taking it in the first place.

(In case you are wondering, yes I have been on Tramadol and yes I came off them)

• Posted

I will not be taking Tramadol on a regular basis only when required if the pain gets really bad.
    • Posted

You can take pills like ibrubrofen as and when needed, But for the type of pain you have been experiencing, you need to take painkillers like Tamadol on a regular basis, otherwise your system won't know if it is coming or going and your pain levels will be all over the place.  Better to take the tramadol now on a regular basis and stop when you really do not need them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.