Tramadol & Co-Codamol withdrawal advice.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey, i was hoping too get some advice! I have been on 8 soluble co-codamol tablets (30/500) for just over a year, i was prescribed them by my GP for chronic back and kidney pain, 6 months ago i went back too the gp as the co-codamol didn't seem too be working as well (they never took the pain away just made it bearable) i guess i had built up a tolerance too them, he prescribed me tramadol too take along side the co-codamol & the difference was amazing compared too where i had been before although i have too take an anti sickness alongside as they make me nauseous apart from that no side effects and a little nausea is a fair price for me to pay for adequate pain relief in my opinion! I know on the box of co-codamol it says not too take for more than 3 days unless advised for 3 days as can cause addiction apart from thst and the fact it was prescribed for long term pain releif i didnt really question addiction etc and i wasnt aware tramadol was addictive atall (i should have done some research) but as that was also prescribed for long term pain management also i didnt really question it was just happy too have something that worked and with having 3 young very active children the tablets enabled me too do so much more than just watch i can actually join in!! But i now have a problem! I have suffered from crohns disease for years but for the last few years its been stable - recently i have had a few flare ups the worst ive ever had and was hospitalized on one occassion, my gasrro doctor came too see me and was furious with my GP for prescribing tramadol and co-codamol as it can cause a number of gastro problems as well as constipation (i had a bleed in my stomach & severe constipation which in turn was aggravating my crohns) he blamed my condition completely on the pain tablets and said I must stop taking them & find an alternative pain management. So I stopped taking them and two days later the pain had come back and I was bed ridden with sickness and diarrea sweats the lot my mum came too take care of my kids and said she didn't think it was a bug (which I had assumed) and she thought I was withdrawing from the pain meds I wasn't convinced as I was thinking surely to god I would have been warned about this by my gastro/gp before I was told to stop, plus I know people who have taken same pain meds and never suffered when they stopped but mum said she had seen things on the internet about addiction too tramadol and cocodamol and she thought I should take a dose too see if I felt better as she was worried because "cold turkey" can be dangerous so I took 2 of each tabs and felt fine within the hour! So its obvious I'm addicted/depended too these pain meds! Ivjust couldn't believe that I hadn't been warned or spoken too by my GP about the addiction side of it and I wish I wasn't so quick to trust and researched the meds before taking! I need too stop taking them because of my crohns but I cant just stop as I'm too ill too look after my children if I do! But the more I take them the worse effect it is having on my crohns! (I'm really nervous about going too my doctor and admitting that I'm dependant on these drugs, I'm worried he will report me to the social services as being a single mother with a drug addiction) so I really need some advice from some one on how too come off these tablets without causing myself too many ill effects (not silly enough too think I won't suffer any). Sorry for the long long lost! Hoping too hear from somebody soon 😁 Bx

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Beth,

I am on Tramadol, but not the same type you are taking. Tramadol is a Class "A" drug, hence you need a doctors letter to even go out of the country with them.

They are very addictive, but doctors will just throw them at you, if nothing else as worked. There is another way, which is either ask your doctor to refer you to a pain clinic and state to them that you wish to get off Tramadol. Normally, they will start you off on Gabapentin, this is still a pain killer for muscle/nerve pain and build you up on them over a period of time.

Once you reach a certain level, then you can start lowering the Tramadol slowly, going "cold-turkey" would not be a good idea in your case. Eventually, you will get to a point where you no longer need Tramadol.

Gabapentin is also addictive, but many painkillers are - but Gabapentin is nowhere near as potent as Tramadol. Gabapentin I found can cause constipation, but not in all cases. We are all different Beth, so may get the opposite effect that I had, which is Diarrhoea (it is supposed to be rare) I had to be one of those that was rare, hence I'm still on Tramadol 100mg x 2 SR (Slow Release) these do not make you nauseous.

So, best to have a word with your doctor and a Pain Clinic Referral.

I wish you all the best, nice long post by the way - nearly as bad as some of mine.

All the best,

Les.

• Posted

Hello Les. I have a question about Neurontin or Gabapentin. My mother is 80 yrs old. She is in pain everyday. What we are being told rt now is neg for Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis. Possibly fibromyalgia an osteoarthritis esp in her hands. She also has diverticulitis an lower abdomen usualky sore or touchy. She's allergic to Codiene so no Tylenol with Codiene. No to Tramadol. Im a recovering Tramadol addict (2 yrs) so she doesn't want to cause me to relapse (which I wouldn't) due to I load pill boxes for both parents. Im there caregiver. Im married an have 2 sons. Parents still live in own home. They dont drive. Anyway no to Tramadol for pain relief. She has #5 hydrocodone an has to break in half an take half at night only cause it knocks her out. She is EXTREMELY sensitive to meds. Mobic (anti-inflammatory)7.5mg knocked her for a loop! So we are at a crossroads for Cymbalta (she is a little depressed) or Neurontin. She also diabetic. She is on 7 diff meds rt now. Blood pressure,cholesterol,diuretic,prilosec,asprin (81mg),thyroid,gout med. Im worried the neurontin is going to completely knock her out at night. She gets up once or twice to bathroom every night. Im worried she will be dizzy an fall. She takes care of Dad to mostly. Cooks, laundry a little. What's this going to do to an elderly person mentally to? Did you have side effects? She supposed to start 100mg at night. We haven't yet due to me being able to spend night couple nights to keep eye out. Im nervous to start a drug like this on a 80 yr old but she's hurting all time.
    • Posted

Hi les. Thank you for l the reply! I am making a doctors appointment for this afternoon and shall ask about the gabapentin 😊 this may sound silly but what is the difference between normal tramadol and SR tramadol ? I am currently on max dose of 8 50mg tablets daily of tramadol, do you take less SR capsules than you do that
    • Posted

Oops I pressed send before I had finished that should say do you take less SR tramadol in a day than normal tramadol? X
    • Posted

Hi Beth,

Tramadol starts in 50mg sizes, and let's say for example that you had to take 50mg in the morning, and 100mg at night. The dose at night would probably make you feel nauseous because it is 50mg + 50mg.

How standard Tramadol works in 50mg doses, is it takes about 20 minutes to kick in, then will reach a certain peak then start gradually decreasing in strength, hence your in pain until you can take the next one.

Slow Release means just 1 capsule every 12 hours - Tramadol level never drops off, like standard 50mg standard tablets.

Tramadol SR is (slow release) - they start at 100mg, but because they are slow release they last up to 12 hours at a time, then you take the next one. They do not cause nausea at all, and the pain relief is the same level over a 24 hours, because you only need 2 a day. If you need an extra boost then you can take up to 1,000mg of Paracetamol in the morning and at night. But you need to check with your doctor on what he recommends.

Somedays, I am in that much pain I have to take 3,000mg of Paracetamol a day on top of Tramadol. I don't exceed 200mg of Tramadol a day, because I am on so many medications that can have fatal side effects.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

The only reason I was put on Tramadol SR 100mg is because they do not make Tramadol SR 50mg.

So, basically my Tramadol was highered by 50mg but it covers me for 24 hours, by only taking one 100mg capsule so it covers you for 12 hours. Constant pain relief. There is a slight drop-off towards the end of the 12hrs but you don't really notice it, because you just another one 12hrs later, so the level goes back up for another 12hrs.

It is much easier to take than the 50mg types! lol

• Posted

I honestly have not thought very long or hard about this, but I believe I'd stop the tramadol first. Tramadol is addictive on two levels. First, there is the typical opioid addiction, and then there is the SSRI addiction. (In case you weren't aware, tramadol has SSRI effects. Your GP may not even be aware of this.) This will let you get your seretonin levels back into balance before tackling the opiate aspect. (One devil at a time.)

This is an interesting, easy to understand read on tramadol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, i am going too tackle the tramadol first by tapering and will then deal with the co-codamol! I'm not sure doctors are even told all that much about the drugs they are prescribing which is a scary though but if they arent well informed then they cant tell us!. Will be seeing my GP this afternoon. Thanks again for the reply.😁 Bx
    • Posted

& thankyou for the link also! Bx
  • Posted

Tramadol is addictive, FACT. Should you stop abruptly? Depends on how long you've been taking them. I stopped cold turkey not knowing the discomfort and dangers, but I survived. Five months off and doing very well. Think about your time on the med and decide if weaning off is right for you.
    • Posted

Yes it does seem too be a fact that tramadol can be addictive (I say can as I know people who have stopped taking tramadol after being on it for a long period of time and suffered no ill effects) although it was not a fact I was aware of and I certainly didn't imagine that the withdrawals would be so horrendous. I cant just stop cold turkey as I need too be able too function for my children, I will taper off of the tramadol and will then tackle the co-codamol. Thank you for yr reply! Well done on being off for 5months i cant imagine that was atall easy. Take care. Bx
  • Posted

Tramadol is addictive, FACT. Should you stop abruptly? Depends on how long you've been taking them. I stopped cold turkey not knowing the discomfort and dangers, but I survived. Five months off and doing very well. Think about your time on the med and decide if weaning off is right for you.
  • Posted

PS: I was on 225mg per day for 18 months and my withdrawal was hell for 2 months, first two weeks being the WORST! My advice is to start tapering down 1/4 pill at a time over one week intervals.
  • Posted

Hi beth,over the last 2 years ive gone from 400mg tramadol daily to 150mg daily,the secret is to do this gradually and also tell your dr and someone close to you as you go on,as tramadol comes in 50mg capsules its sometimes a big jump to make so i ask my gp for some liquid tramadol that pumps out some on a teaspoon, there is only 12.5 mg in each pump of the bottle so you can reduce easier or increase a little on bad days,there is also tramacet which is 50/50 tramadol and paracetamol ,the main thing i did was to reduce with the help of my wife (talking through etc) she has been an enormous help with calming me down when i want to give up reducing.

Lastly addiction is very different to dependency, i am dependent on my medication after 17 odd years and thats nothing to be ashamed of because my illness needs it ,as for the social becoming involved wouldnt be a problem i shouldn't think otherwise you wouldnt be able to drive etc on tramadol and you can,i brought both my children up when i was on 400mg tramadol and 3600mg gabapentin and a little morphine for bad days and was on that lot when the social worker handed me full custody when they were 4 and 5 years ,definitely speak to your dr but also talk to your family constantly as you need there backup its quite important . Long old story i know but as i said its good to talk 😀,i hope a little helped,enjoy your day beth.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply dave, it seems that tapering would be the best option for me! If it wasn't for my crohns being affected i would definitely carry on as they do give me a better quality of life pain wise, I am just hoping yo be able to find another pain med or combination of pain meds which help. I think I will definitely speak too my GP, me taking pain killers has never had any negative impact on my children anyway if anything I have been able too do more! Maybe he could give me something too help? But don't really think trading one dependency for another is a good idea so will definitely be doing research before taking anything else! I think DRS need too know more about the addictive qualities of the pain meds they are prescribing! Obviously its not all down too them and patients should do there home work on what they are taking, was just shocked that nobody had nentioned anything about addiction especially when the withdrawals. And i think its pretty obvious my Gastro Dr isnt aware of how addictive these tablets are or he wouldnt have told me too stop taking them- i think i will wean myself off of the tramadol first. I completely agree that being dependent on pain meds is nothing too be ashamed of, I would rather be dependent on something that improved my quality of life than suffer in pain my main concern is that I will not be able too find anything as effective and want to avoid morphine if I can - I will make a GP app for this afternoon - thankyou for yr reply & sorry another long post! I hope you enjoy yr day also 😁 Bx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.