Tramadol is not evil.

Posted , 52 users are following.

Tramadol does not have any malicious intent to get you 'hooked' or 'addicted'.

Tramadol provides a reliable source of relief to many pain sufferers and patients with other medical problems. The VARIABLE in all this ... is the individual patient, everyone's body makeup is different and so will react and produce different side effects with every drug they take. The only way to find out how your body will react is to give the prescribed drug a try, preferably for a couple weeks if this will be a long-term drug and if it doesn't suit you talk to your doctor. They most likely can find an alternative that will suit you. That's one of the reasons why there are so many drugs that do the same thing. wink

As for not knowing the possibilities of what might happen - there's only two people you can blame, one - your doctor for not giving you some important facts and two - yourself for not researching your prescription online.

Personally I think doctors even on the NHS should take more time to spell out the common effects and if it can be addictive but I do understand that they don't usually have the time. This isn't going to change anytime soon though, so...

There is a plethora of information online, on any prescription drug and it will tell you everything you need to know before you take it. Some websites, like drugs.com, even have an Interactions Checker which you can input all your medications into and check if they will react badly. It's very cool and I even was able to bring a bad mix up to my doctor who was able to clarify that the short amount of time I was taking the new drug would be ok with my regular prescription.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tramadol is a synthetic (man made) opiate. It does not mix well with natural opiates such as cocodamol as one person was complaining about in this forum. Always check with your doctor if you feel uncomfortable and always take prescriptions as advised. If you start mixing things up and not understanding the chemistry behind it then what do you expect?

COMMON SIDE EFFECTS: Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; increased sweating; indigestion; mild itching; nausea; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness. Constipation seems to be the most common and would advise a gentle laxative.

If you have any SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS (see following) then go to A&E or see the doctor the next day depending on how bad it is, stop taking the Tramadol until you can get medical advice:Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); burning, numbness, or tingling; chest pain; confusion; difficult or painful urination; disorientation; excessive sweating; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes (eg, depression, agitation); red, blistered, swollen, or peeling skin; seizures; severe dizziness or light-headedness; severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; severe or persistent headache; slow or shallow breathing; suicidal thoughts or behaviors; tremor; vision problems; wheezing.

I DON'T WANT TO BECOME ADDICTED: Well most people don't. If your condition will be temporary then consider asking for Codeine (a natural opiate) which doesn't work as well but will help relieve some of the pain. Always take paracetamol at the same time you take any opiate, my NHS doctors have always told me this, saying that they both work better together than just the opiate alone and in my experience this is true. Also when you feel the pain is minimal to moderate, try taking just paracetamol and skipping a dose of your opiate when possible. Once you do this more often than not you can either realize that you can live with minimal pain or only take the opiate sporadically as needed.

If you have a long term condition like me, then I'll tell you what my doctor in the US told me when I told her I didn't want to become addicted. First, she said, you're only an addict if you're taking the drug to get a high, otherwise you're just dependent. Then she told me I can either take the drug to alleviate the pain and get some normal things done on a daily basis or don't take it and live with a pain that will most likely prevent me from leaving my bed and become agitated and irritated with everything and everyone because of my relentless pain. She said there is no shame in become dependent and that when the time came to stop there would be a safe period of weaning the drug and a plan for the withdrawal. I added that most NHS doctors are ambivalent towards things like this and she said, then demand it. I did and I was helped, no NHS doctor ever judged me for being dependent and it does seem like they deal with this often. They are not as organised as in the U.S. where you can get a 'kick pack' which contains valium, supplements and many useful tips but my NHS doctor did prescribe me valium for 4 days which was enough to get over the 'hump' and I researched and procured the other supplements and tips I needed online.

WHY YOU BECOME DEPENDENT: In plain speak, Tramadol does the job of making your body feel good and does it so well that it relieves the overabundant amount of pain your going through because of your medical condition. Once your body realizes it doesn't have to do this job anymore, it will stop, that's when your body has become 'dependent'. When you stop taking the Tramadol and your body hasn't yet taken it's 'job' back, you feel withdrawal symptoms because there is nothing making you feel good. The withdrawal will end once your body takes back it's normal job of releasing the chemicals which make you feel good.

HOW TO OVERCOME THE WITHDRAWAL PERIOD: If you have become dependent Tramadol and you most likely have if you've been taking it for a long time, it's almost always best to consult with your doctor about a withdrawal plan. They can help give you a plan to wean the drug and also be there for when you need muscle relaxers if you need them once you stop the drug. If they are not helpful, see another doctor, rinse and repeat (especially if you're on NHS!).

Even better - What you can do is research all this on the internet but I will include this one link because I felt it was the one who helped me the most when I went through it. Not just the info but the people who commented and gave support. There are many forums that will do the same thing, find one which has active supportive members (and a plan you feel comfortable with) and I promise you will feel better about being able to get feedback from people who have felt what you are going through. Actually I'm going to link the process I used for withdrawal, it's from the same site and you can explore that further if you want or just Google 'opiate withdrawal forum' for support and plans.

http://www.vicodinwithdrawal.org/alternative-medicine/thomas-recipe-opiate-detox

Oh and I should also warn that you will come across a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about, but you should be able to spot them pretty quick,. Just ignore them, find good info and support, that's the best thing to do. smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is more helpful than not. I'm not sure why people come here to complain about a drug. The drug has been well tested and it's not dangerous. However being ill-informed about a drug, how you take it and the possibilities ...well that certainly can be.

Best of wishes to everyone struggling with their conditions, keep looking towards the future! Ronni <3>

22 likes, 179 replies

179 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I totally see your point, i really do but there are always two sides yuo know?

I did take maximum prescribable dose daily for about 4 months after a bad car accident 4 1/2 yrs ago, along with max cocodamol & 150mg diclofenac - but of course, my pain was so intense i couldn't move without it, and i would never have attended physio down the line had i not had something to enable mobilisation...

nowadays i take it less frequently but at times i take quite high doses for months at a time - im very careful to try and take the lowest possible dose, and i always try doing a day with no painkillers at all every few weeks to ensure i am aware of my 'natural' pain levels and don't continue taking it when i don't need to...

I'm sure a lot of people do have bad experiences with many drugs but we've got to remember we are weird and wonderful creatures - a drug that could kill someone through anaphylactic shock may save another person's life... obviously i don't specifically mean the tramadol here, but the principal i wanted to point out was that really, it's all trial and error to find out what makes life easier for anyone with any medical problems smile

i hope you're managing to cope with your bad experience better now? x

• Posted

Oh it was a long long time ago and I got over it very quickly once I knew what I was dealing with. But it is something that I wouldn't want to repeat. I think you are extremely fortunate to be able to take or leave it TBH. I do think it has its uses. As I say, I thought it was wonderful until that day when I tried not taking it. I work with horses and have to be extremely active and so it helped me get over some severe pain, but I really wish I had read about it on some forums before taking it as I would have done things differently and only taken it in short bursts when the pain was at its worst. My experience is nothing compared to many (just search Tramadol addiction on google, the drugs.com forum has thread after thread about it). I think it is far more dangerous when 'strangers on a forum' paint a rosy picture of a drug that can cause serious addiction to many, than people posting their genuine negative experiences. Unless of course you work for a drug company...
  • Posted

Just a question Kitty16. Do you think people should not be allowed to post anything negative about drugs on these forums? You say that my experience is not valid for you, but yours is not valid for me or some others who have posted 'horror stories' as you like to put it. So what makes your story valid, and another person's not valid?
    • Posted

Nothing -but the constant screaming about Tramadol being 'evil' has made it's way into the idiotic press and now GP s are being ridiculous about prescribing it to people - even to those of us who have taken it happily and sensibly for years with no side effects. People who have no trouble with it - and there are many, many of us - don't tend to take to the internet to talk about how great it is, because we've never thought about it until a few people who'd had problems started screaming about it - and of course that makes a juicy story for the press - who wants to read "Tramadol is great, I have no problems with it, and it helps with my pain." when they could be reading "Why is this evil drug being forced on innocent patients!" The sensational headline always sells papers, but it does not mean that it's right!

• Posted

Both of your experiences are equally valid smile
  • Posted

Exactly. I have no gripes with people posting positive experiences of the drug, and would never dream of critisising anyone for doing it. Therefore I don't expect to be critisised for recounting my negative experience. People should be able to read the posts, good and bad, and make up their own minds whether tramadol is for them. smile
  • Posted

You had not explained in which type of pain and body problems it may helps.
  • Posted

In my experience, it didn't really take away the pain. It just made me feel differently about it and gave me more energy to deal with it. I was first prescribed it when I had a severe tooth abscess and it was the bank holiday and no emergency dentists. It didn't help. Then I was precribed it for my back pain. Again it didn't remove the pain but made me more able to cope with it. Now I prefer to take cocodamol 500/30. Though I am very careful only to take them occasionally, as they can be almost as addictive as tramadol. If I have taken them for a few days in a row and then stop, then I suffer from severe fatigue for the next few days which makes it difficult to do my job.
    • Posted

Hi my brother is addicted to tramadol and its awful we have to watch him get so far through withdrawl to see him so desperate he'll do almost anything to get some he had a seizure last night and can't remember anything about it his face is all bruised and he has bit his tougue and cheek he is in such a state he can't do it by himself he is taking between 30 and 40 a night I just don't know where to go to get help 
    • Posted

Sam, that is scary.  Anything over 6 tablets in a day is at high risk (according to the OD who perscribed them) of seizure.  I've never heard of them having street value, I can't imagine how he's even getting that many.  He needs to get in a detox program.  I saw something a few years ago about a detox drug that they administer and after 2 or 3 days Tramadol (synthetic opiate) and othe Opiate drugs are gone from your system but I think they knocked a person out.  I just found Suboxone which might have been the drug.  There must be some way to get him help?  I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you.  I know that our local Mental Health Center has out patient treatment and they were able to get people in (I worked there but in a different department) to treatment facilities.  Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Rubbish, "30 to 40 per night" Stop spreading melodramatic non-sense to people who are seeking genuine assistance for their personal situation.

As others have clearly said, each person's experience is an individual. Personally, I take 200mg of Tramadol twice daily. I appreciate the helpful info others have left about managing to stop taking it.

Yes, there are side effects, a person needs to inform themselves and in today's world of the internet that ought be easy enough. From reading your posts, I agree with others that you are just seeing the negative (and spending a whole lot of time at it).  As mentioned, Tramadol is not evil, a drug cannot be evil. Each person should talk to there doctor and inform themselves before taking any drug. I respect your right to an opinion, but I can't help but sense deeper issues or another agenda going on. Godspeed.

• Posted

You get him in the emergency room. My son is addicted to Tramadol. He took so many one night that he had a seizure. I held him until he was through it. I called 911. My son didn't remember it and didn't want to go in ambulance to hospital. I had no idea he was taking so many until that night. It was horrible to watch. But ambulance techs. took his vitals and all checked out. It could of killed him. So Dr. Stopped prescribing them. So then he went to the street to buy drugs and eventually started shooting up heroin. He was steeling lots of money from me, my husband and grandmother. We got him help to get off heroin and then he started drinking and shortly after he got a D.U.I. So this horror story is still ongoing. I've taken Tramadol for years and this has never come close to happening to me. But my son did start off his journey by steeling from me, and that is very painful

Sue

• Posted

Go to your GP NOW! My autistic son stole my Tramadol a few years ago when he was depressed (I now keep it locked up) and he got very addicted. See your doctor, and if you can't do that get him to A and E fast!

• Posted

I must say that I've been a bit worried about becoming addicted so yesterday I thought I'd go without and you are right evergreen, it doen't seem to stop the pain, only the way we percieve it. Had a bit of a stop/ go night but no, I don't think I'm addicted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.