Tramadol medication

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, i have been prescribed tramadol 50mg capsules for severe lower back pain. I am to take 1 every 4 hours, however this really isn't doing much for me now so i have been taking 2 every four hours, even during the night as i wake up in pain. After medicating with different pain reliefs, tramadol works best and my doctor knows this now, but has continued to prescribe me 1 every 4 hours. What can i do/say to up the dosage and maybe even give me stronger tablets such as the 100mg tramadol. Does anyone have any advice for me going to see the doctor tomorrow. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You might be out of luck getting stronger Tramadol. Please be careful with it, you shouldn't exceed 400mg a day. For severe pain, they generally give 100mg a day, with doses spread evenly throughout the week for maintenance in increments of 50mg. It sounds like you need some other pain medication other than Tramadol, and that's what you should ask your doctor for, rather than upping the dose of Tramadol to possibly dangerous levels. 
  • Posted

what is causing your pain? you might be better of with antiinflamatories or meds for nerve pain if tramadol isnt cutting it.

wheni had sever sciatica i was on 2 tramadol 4x a day and diclofenac 3xa day for a couple of months and the pain was still there but more managable (might have been due to the amount i was sleeping due to the meds lol)

• Posted

Yea i find meds that make me drowzy help a lot, not good i know but it being the main reason i'm wanting to ask the doctor to up my dosage but really finding an alternative medication that works similar. Oh and by the way i have just been prescribed Naproxen antiinflamatorys.

How is diclofenac in comparison ?

• Posted

naproxen and diclofenac are from the same family.

what is causing your pain? you need to taylor the meds to the cause

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.