tramadol nightmare!

Posted , 11 users are following.

3 days ago I began,by accident,to go through the nightmare of tramadol withdrawal.I'd been prescribed up to 400mg daily 4 months ago to relieve fibromyalgia pain.Luckily,I settled on a dose of 200mg taken early evening and last thing before bed,not realising at the time that I was using them more to aid sleep than for pain.I absentmindedly forgot to order my repeat prescription,hence the withdrawal.Can't believe what I am going through.The worst thing is the restless legs and complete inability to be still,especially at nightimes,which seem to go on for ever.I am so tired through lack of sleep and the constant fidgeting is horrendous.Cannot settle to watch tv,read,or anything else that would distract me from other unpleasant sensations like the whooshing in the head,electric pulses,irritability,etc.My gp,usually very good,never mentioned any possibility of addiction,or even that tramadol are opiate based.I am now determined to get off and stay off this drug.Believe it or not the chronic pain I have is more manageable than tramadol withdrawal.Hoping someone has some positive feedback to encourage me,but also want to make people aware of the dangers of this drug,and the need to ask more questions if prescribed.

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

the good news is you atr probably at the worst of the withdrawls - the bad newa is that they can last for about 10 - 12 days but they norkaly lessen day by day- that has been my experience haveing gone through WD's on several occasions- Tramadol are marketed as being unlikely to cause addiction - they are a synthetic drug whose pharmacology is very similar to other opiates- the first alarm bells about tramadol started ringing in the USA several years ago- people started complaining about suffering withdrawls when coming of them- everybody goes through a different experience when suffering withdrawls- you may be lucky and you may come through withdrawls quicker- i hope so - remember what ever anxiety or emotions you are experiencing are being caused by this s1t leaving your system- they will pass- stay strong
    • Posted

thanks so much for your reply.It's very encouraging.I'm determined to see it through,and I'm just so glad I found out so soon how they affect me.Best wishes 
  • Posted

Hey you're doing great, you're typing a letter on the computer.,,,, Day four...You've made over the peak but you there will a couple of days of feeling sh*tty. I'm really proud of you...It is so fricking hard to do... Drop a line tomorrow if you can. 

I'm still on Tramadol but Temembering kicking methadone ... same drug.... I hadn't slept in 3 days and was going crazy so I took my pillow to a steep hil hill that goes up to a small airport on West Maui...Thank God no one say me....anyway I walked up and put my pillow at the top and came back down... All night I would charge up that hill full blast and when I got to the top I collapsed each time. Immediately laid down and would sleep really good for 10 -15 minutes. I swear I don't know how many times I ran up that hill...God almighty...I guess my point is maybe you can exhaust yourself somehow and get some short naps...In a few days your sleeping will improve maybe tomorrow. Hey Wink...Good Job .... the hard part is done...

• Posted

Thanks so much for your encouragement,it's so what I needed to hear.Sounds like you've been fighting your own battle,well done!It's no mean feat to come off methadone.Been up all night with absolutely no sleep so pretty tired and fragile,but will keep at it..My body will just not stop needing to move....aaghhhhh!!!!
  • Posted

Of all the advice I've heard I think Denizen had the best preparation. ( I communicated with him 2-3 days on this discussion and it just took over 10 minute to remember his name)....(Tramadol Memory Haze)Fruck!!. Denizen got prepared. You know it's gonna hurt, no question about it....So he said he took several day of rest, drinking lots of water, Eating a lot of food, eating a lot of vitamins.... Denizen you got it right bro...... I will definitely do this..... Good luck guys
  • Posted

Much of your symptoms are likely due to withdrawal from the SSRI effects of trmadol. Bring this up with your doctor, as he may be unaware of this aspect of the drug.
    • Posted

Thanks for pointing the seratonin aspect out to me.Yes,I will inform my gp,just so she knows there is possibly a risk.Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hello, Guess why I'm posting?  I'm a (almost) 6 mnth recovering Tramadol addict. I'd better get use to saying that. Never again will I take Tramadol.  In some ways I'm sad cause it was a crutch for me an some ways I'm saying"Hallelujah, praise God! I'M FREE!!" No more worrying over when my "package" arrives if on time so I don't experience to much withdrawals.  It's painful for me to write about it. It gives me some anxiety.  Trust me I know ALOT about Tramadol.  I took it for 7-8 yrs. The last 2-3 was taking 20-25 50mg pills a day. Started at low dose an stayed there for couple yrs then slowly started going up. Ya see Tramadol is tricky sucker, not only does it relieve pain,  it also acts as a antidepressant/anti-anxiety drug. In other words it messes with your neurotransmitters. That's probably why my body an brain liked it soooo much. See, I'm just realizing I had some anxiety (hidden) or didn't recognize it as anxiety an depression a little. Our daughter passed away suddenly an we were unprepared an 4 yrs later is when I was introduced to Tram's. It was like a light was turned on in my brain. I ws s happy NOT HIGH, an felt good again. Energetic.  But not manic. So my affair with Tramadol began. I was prescribed it by Orthopedic surgeon for tibial stress fracture an told was ok for Fibromyalgia an I also had herniated disc an degenerative disc disease in two lumbar inmy back. So no problem getting fr Dr's seeing as "its not addicting" I was told. HA! I had no love affair with other opiates just Tramadol. In the last couple yrs started getting off internet.  Was spending 300$ a mnth on it. Thru USPS. I had tried or wanted to stop it but never could on my own. To high a dosage an taking it to long to do on my own. I even had a seizure in 2010 but at that time was taking only 8-12 a day an forgot I had already taken my 2 for morning an took 2 more. Two hrs later at my parents I fell straight forward hard as a rock into the edge of their t.v. cabinet. Clipped forhead. Cut it. Came to an I didn't know who anyone standing over me was. Ambulance came. Embarrassing.  Humiliated.  But oh no didnt stop just backed off a little. Tramadol has a high incident of seizures on pt's. An coming off on high doses can be dangerous.  I prayed an prayed last 3 yrs to give me strength to do it but no way on my own. Taking to much. Withdrawls go like this....R.L.S. (hot bath's with Epsom salt help but r.l.s. doesn't go aws y for couple days.)...runny nose...sneezing (wierd!)..flu like symptoms. ..joint pain...diaherra(take anti-diaherra med)...agitated....anxiety. ...depression. ...now EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!  Those are what I experienced when I would run out. Longest I went without was 2-3 days. Horrible. Hell the only word. BUT, take in acct high doasage I was on!! So some people may not experienc all those or for very long, just depends. God finally answered my prayers but in a scary way (to get my attention! ) I developed heart palpitations an skipped heart beat. Now remember I was on 20-25 A DAY. Went ER it got bad. They did lots an lots bloodwork an cat scan couldn't find out what was wrong except ekg was abnormal an tachycardia(high heart rate) well it was fr Tramadol.  That's only thing it could have been. Two days later went to detox for 5-6 days. Medically supervised. While there was put on Clonazepam (1mg) pills. Seemed to help with anxiety an restless legs.  That was back in beginning May. Was put on Zoloft an told to taper off Clonazepam two wks after detoxing.  Well ya'know it takes 3-4 wks for antidepressants to kick in an it did but after being on it 2 months I started having bad very bad reactions to it. Diaherra all time, lost 13 lbs in 2 1/2 mnths, joint pain, flu like symptoms, headaches alot.  So Dr told me to stop it. Not taper it down. Well I'v been in Med field since 17 (46 now) & u dont just stop antidepressants so wuick tapered an that was horrible. Brain zaps, headaches, fatigue. In mean time was still tryin to taper off the benzodiazepine Clonazepam.  STILL tapering off it. It's the devil to! It's even slower to get off. You don't EVER quit these drugs cold turkey. I asked a compounding pharmacist for a tapering schedule for 2 .5mg Clonazepam pills. That was in Sept 15, wont be off till beginning of Dec. After that I'm gonna see how I feel. At that time will get on something if I need to. As of rt now the Clonazepam is just horrible coming down in dosage every 10-12 days. Withdrawls are terrible. No way around it. Agitation, angry, depressed, crying, palpitations anxiety (cause your body is freaking out that your going down in dosage) flu like symptoms AGAIN! Notice all these drugs I'v mentioned play with the neurotransmitters in brain. All I can say is SLOW tapering or get help coming off. Tramadol has been rescheduled. Along with new narcotics laws. I still get calls fr overseas salesmen tryin to get me to buy fr them. I just scream at them! They hang up. Eventually they'll get on the wagon Im not buyin anymore!! So don't believe anything about Tramadol being "not so addicting" as other narcotics. It is in its own class an to some it very addicting. An I think more dangerous because of the neurotransmitter thing. Drink lots of water an electrolytes, hot bath's with Epsom salts, you could even try a heated throw around legs or hes ting pad for R.L.S, anti-diaherra med, magnesium, good multi Vit, allergy med for runny nose an sneezing (if needed). Those are about all you can do along with going walking out in sun to. 

Supplements for depression:5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, Sam-E, (don't take these while on Tramadol or don't take all these at same time, only one) some of these work some don't. 

Anti-anxiety supplements :L-theanine, GABA, melatonin (for sleep). Don't take these if on a anti-anxiety med. These supplements dont work for everyone.  An one or 2 times isn't giving the supplement a chance. Try for 7-8 days an see. Check with your Dr to before starting any supplements. Honey, banans's, chocolate are supposed to help with mood. I'm also wondering about antidepressant drugs like Lexapro, Prozac. Anyone had experienced these before or know of anyone thats on them? I'm just looking for most similar antidepressant/anti-anxiety medicine to Tramadol in brain.Zoloft NO WAY. Sorry to sound scary or negative but this is my stupid experience.  I so regret EVER taking that first Tramadol!  Thanks.

• Posted

In theory, drugs like Paxil, Prozac, and Lexapro can counteract the SSRI withdrawal effects. But, like you mentioned, they can take a long time to work. And the time it takes to work can be different for different people. It is for these reasons that I do not usually recommend it. But, if the timing just happens to work out, it might help tremendously. At least one person on this site has had a very positive experience with this kind of therapy. It is at best a crapshoot, but one that can apparently pay off well.

But then you'd still be on SSRIs, so.....

• Posted

No, SSRIs typically take a couple of weeks to take effect. But they can take anywhere from a few days to about 8 weeks to have any theraputic effect. Monkeying around with serotonin levels is very unpridictable in both time and the level of the results. Addiction aside, any change in those levels, up or down, is likely to affect mood.
  • Posted

That's 8 pills a day I guess. But it sounds like you are on 200mg (4 pills?) -- not bad. JUst one pill less every other day, for example. I think that coud be an easy transition. Maybe hard to eliminate last ones. But is it so necessary? Maybe it will happen naturally.  Try Serrapeptase for pain every other tramadol pill?          
  • Posted

withdrawal will pass. Vitamins. Extra iron cured my restless legs. No caffeine. No alcohol. minimal sugar. Just eat healthy, drink, rest when you can, walk when you can't. 

The fibro pain is a toughie, but best delt with with paracetemol (I know it hardly helps initially, but it can do over time). baths with epsom salts. Avoid stress and when it can't be avoided, treat with baths and stretching. Sometimes I sting my wrists with stinging nettles and it takes away the fibro pains everywhere else - a tricking of the sympathetic nervous system. Anyway, tramadol is best kept as a post op drug, not a cure for a long term pain issue like fibromyalgia

• Posted

Thanks for your encouragement and advice,interesting about the nettle stinging....worth a try.I'm usually quite positive about managing my fibro but this year has been particularly difficult,and,I guess I wanted a quick fix.O boy what a mistake that was!However,so glad I found out now and not some years down the line.Will definitely try the extra iron...restless legs,in fact,whole body is the most distressing symptom.I've had it from time to time over the years,but it is almost unbearable at the moment,whole nights spent just having to move,walk.But it WILL pass and thars what I'm holding onto.Once again thank you for taking the trouble to pass on your personal experience.It is very much appreciated.
    • Posted

prescription iron for restless legs - Ferrous Fumarate - 210mg, take one, twice a day. If doc won't prescribe, find it to buy. (My iron levels are normal, but my GP said iron is a proven help for restless legs regardelss of iron levels. He is right, as it started to work quickly)

There are lots of things offered for fibro pain. They all seem to have side effects that are not worth the swop. One thing I have not tried is a infra red panel that can be hung on a wall and plugged in. Knowing how having my body gently and fuly warmed can help, I think this might be a good aid as it heats objects, but not the air. For all those who have gone to trmadol for pain help and are coming off, but still have pain issues, you have my sympathy. I wish there were easy answers. It seems the truth - learning to live with and manage pain daily, is a hard one to preach and to practise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.