Tramadol withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Tramadol withdrawal is brutal. In another message I related my story which hasn't ended yet and already includes depersonalization/derealization disorder and a minor stroke.

I curious about what others have experienced. What happened? How long until you recovered?

I had about 4 months of miserable insomnia, anxiety, high blood pressure and stress before my situation became unsalvageable (the derealization and depersonaluzation ruined me). I later had a stroke.

So did I just get unlucky? Derealization/depersonalization is very rare.

I really think the insomnia and bad diet (I couldn't eat well and lost 30 lbs) had something to do with it.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This is just a shot in the  dark, but did you happen to have any symptoms similar to Parkinson’s disease?
    • Posted

My number one primary symptom was insomnia. Second was terrible anxiety to the point that I couldn't eat.

I did have moments of writhing while trying to sit still. Not sure if that counts. I think it was a product of the anxiety.

• Posted

I read that sometimes dopamine gets tangled up in the serotonin reuptake process, and your symptoms sound like that may be what happened to you. Look at "dopamine depletion" for a list of symptoms. I'd provide a link, but then we'd have to wait for moderation.

• Posted

I get writhing and trembling, fidgety legs when I'm on a come down. It's part of the Tramadol addiction. I have always taken them every other day. I did this, not because I thought they were addictive, but because I thought they wouldn't work after a while. I'm glad I did now, but I cannot go without them for 2 days.

• Posted

Hi, I think i have the same writhing as you, it always happens when trying to go to sleep, twitching muscles at the top of my shoulders jumping legs and arms constant twitching and turning in bed until i cry in total despair, can you tell me do you still  have those symptoms? and how long have you had them? I hope you are much better now k.
  • Posted

I will be nearly drug free a year on the 23 Feb. It's been the worst year of my life and I am still suffering waves of withdraws which I believe can take up to another year off this brain/body damaging drug! It acts on the neurotransmitters the same as an SSRI hence you have a nasty withdrawal and should taper very slowly. The first four months for me was my worst nightmare. The withdrawals were horrendous and I was bed ridden all of those months. So many times I wanted to reinstate, but after two years of trying to get off this drug I preservered. The withdrawal symptoms you mention are not rare according to support groups I'm on! No doctor has been educated or understands the chemistry of this drug and the damage it causes!

• Posted

My Dr. was prescribing Oxy codone for chronic back pain which was effective for 4 years i maintained a 2 to 3 pill a day regimen and he decided to switch me to tramadol because the state was making it hard for doctors to prescribe oxy codone  Thanks to this forum I told him it was a much more dangerous drug and went to my orthopeadic surgeon for help and explained the situation .so far I have had no problems  . I have been socking some away in the event he has been threatened to stop giving the med . 

My state is preparing to write laws stating what guidelines you can take them and for how long .Its a sad day when we are legislated on whether we should live with overwhelming pain . 

• Posted

A few years ago, maybe 3 or 4, I needed an operation. I don't know if it's the same in the States but before an op we have to go for a preassessment. The senior nurse I saw asked what Meds I was on, I explained that I was prescribed 8 Tramadol per day, but I took them every other day. She said that I should take them as prescribed as being in pain was far worse for a body than the Meds. I was told this again by a senior doctor at a later date. How wrong they were. I'm still glad I didn't listen to them. I'm still addicted, even though I don't take as many as some people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.