Tramadol withdrawals

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am on day 6 of being taken off tramadol after being on it for over 4 year's I am experiencing a lot of horrible systems but I am in a lot of pain around my neck and shoulders can someone please tell me if this is all part of the process coz I am climbing the walls with it xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Were you taken off cold turkey? No tapering? If so, you are going to feel horrific and I recommend you go to your doctor and ask for a different anti depressant and a benzo for panic attack and also an anti seizure med cause this does cause that if cold turkeyed. How many mg's were you taking?

• Posted

I was taking 450mgs a day along with 300mgs of pregabalin, my doctor hasn't tapered me off the tramadol it's just been straight off it and I have been given a substitute tablet to take twice a day,i can honestly say that I have never experienced pain like this and my family is suffering because of my mood swings it is scaring me how I am and what it's turning me into I really don't want to go back on the tramadol but I don't want to feel like this I just keep hoping that tomorrow will be a better day and I won't need to lock myself away from everyone.

• Posted

Yes completely straight of it by my doctor and was given a substitute tablet to take twice a day but it feels like it's not helping I have never in my life experienced pain like this and I have had to lock myself away from everyone as my family are suffering because of my mood swings it is scaring me how I am and what it's turning me into I just keep hoping that tomorrow will be a better day and it will get easier.

• Posted

Ok. Going cold turkey off Tramadol (im in US) doesnt cause siezures. Taking to much cause seizures due to it antidepressant affect on increasing Seratonin in brain. If Seratonin is increased rapidly an high dose. Bam seizures. Im a recovering Tram addict since 2014. I went cold turkey at a detox facility an they gave me Klonapin (anti-anxiety med) for restlessness an anxiety. I was on 20 a day. Stupid I know. Hot baths. Maybe wrapping a heating pad or something like that around each leg or one of those microwave things with towel. Magnesium. Anti-diaherral med. Some say it helps with withdrawls. Exercise. I know you dont feel like but do it. Driink plenty water. Electrolytes. The only thing honestly that helped me at first (first 2-3wks was anti-anxiety med. Can you go to dr an tell him you want Klonapin (its a long acting compared to Xanax a short acting) to help you. If you can be honest. I was getting in Internet so wound up in ER due to severe dehydration. Potassium critically low. Had to come clean about it an ER dr gave rx for some. If youv cone 2 or more days, my opinion DONT get back on an taper! Youv comd this far. You would start misery again an just prolong it. Go to health food store an ask what to take for restlessness. Its hard sn hell but you can do it. Get your Mind off it an hot baths alot!
  • Posted

I second the motion on not going back. The misery you have been feeling is an investment. Don't throw it away now. But I have to disagree on the seizure business. Yes, taking too much can cause seizures, but so can withdrawal. A benzodiazepine like clonazapam (Klonipin) can prevent seizures and ease your symptoms. Win/win. Just be careful with that stuff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.