tranexamic acid dose confusion

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. Looking for some advice.

I am waiting for a date for surgery to have large cyst removed and a hysterectomy. I am anaemic and they are trying to reduce bleeding to help with iron levels so have prescribed tranexamic acid.

I have been told different things by different doctors regarding dose. I was told to start 2 days before period started which I did. 6 tablets a day. I was told you only take it for 4 days at a time but yet my GP has given me 20 days worth.

Do I stop after 4 days or continue.

Any thoughts?

I will try and leave a message for GP but who knows when I will hear.

Thanks in advance.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had constant bleeding because of fibroids and whilst waiting for my hysterectomy I was put on norethisterone and told to take transamic acid 2 pills 3 times a day until I came in for surgery.

I learnt that transamic acid only work for so many hours so you have to keep taking it.if constantly bleeding like i was. It is a wonder drug as before my hysterectomy they tried to do a fibroid resection but couldn't as fibroid was too embedded. After that procedure they gave me 2 bags of liquid transamic acid.I too was amemic 7.3 before my first surgery.I was also taking 2x 210mg iron tabs. I had a blood transfusion that raised my levels to 10.8 so didn't need transfusion for hysterectomy. You need to take iron tablets and should talk to your GP as to the amount you need to take. My gynae says if the bleeding is controlled and you are taking the right amount of iron you should raise your levels by 1 point a week. 

• Posted

Hi Deborah

Thanks for replying. I am on iron tablets 3 times a day. Have my bloods checked again in 2 weeks so fingers crossed for a surgery date if they are high enough.

Do you mind me asking regarding your hysterectomy? Did you have open surgery. Mine is open and I am having everything removed. Biy scated about the op itself and the menopiase. I have just turned 40 and feel worried about feeling so horrid after. :-(

• Posted

Yes I had abdominal hysterectomy as my womb has a 5cm fibroid and was to big to do keyhole. I am 16 days post surgery now. My advice is get the pain Medes in when you are in recovery before going to the ward. I took tramadol and morphine. My gyrate sister in law said get meds if felling twinges don't be brave and wait for pain. When home I have only been taking paracetamol and the occasional codeine when feeling sore accross the scar area. Be organized for coming back home. I am ok in the morning but for first 2 weeks v tired after lunch and I rest in bed for afternoon. Last thing I want to do is cook family supper. So you need help the. Do not do any housework for 6 weeks you may feel like it but big mistake as feel stabbing twinges when over doing. Now I have had the op I can see why you are signed off work for 6 weeks. At the moment I have had no menopause symptoms apart from some night sweats that I was having before. Not on hrt as we decided to wait and see as they found I had endometriosis on my colon. So is more difficult. But my gynae is a real hrt fan so take it if you get symptoms you don't want to put up with. He gets cross that women are believing all the scare stories when he said the benefits far out way the very small risks. Especially as it helps preserve your bone density cause you are going to live at least another 40 years. I was in for 3 nights I can walk around the house and garden but no more at the mo. So get really prepared for the 6 weeks off and talk to you family to help you. Batch cook and freeze before you go. Husbands need to be told to not flop into bed as things hurt if he make the bed bounce. He needs to do shopping laundry, housework. I got my mum to move in for the first 2 weeks now comes the hard part when she has gone. You get a lot of wind so drink peppermint tea and walk around as soon as you can after op. Get up very very slow with nurse helping you as feel fizzy so take it vey slow. When you get home work out a chair and foot stoll that is comfy for the sitting room liow sofa no good as difficult to get down there let alone getting up. I was v scared about this but GA was fine just kept telling myself that next thing I will know is waking up. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.