Trauma or just a phobia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm not sure what area this would go to, but mental health seems to be my best bet to figure this out.

Before I start I have not been to see a doctor about this as I believe it was not necessary, if you recommend I do, please say otherwise I will not go.

So I want to be a vet and am in my first year of an animal management course, before I finish my two years of this foundation course I need to try and resolve this.

I have a huge problem when it comes to illness, by no means am I a hypochondriac or such and I will not try and avoid illness. When we being to talk of illness (be it animal ir human) I have a extremely uncomfortable reaction. My skin begins to feel uncomfortable, especially my hands and I get weird sensations that I cannot describe. I begin to breathe at a much faster rate and have even started to twitch. Though I am completely aware of what is happening I cannot control it. I have tried breathing deeply, repeating calming phrases in my head and even tapping. None if it stops though tapping helps reduce the feeling. This ONLY happens when talking of illness or injury (such as broken bones) or surgery that is required with it. It does not occur when I enter a hospital or clinic, but can occur anywhere at anytime despite how comfortable I may be up until that point.

My idea behind why this occurs is due to having surgery when I was a young child (about 3) and having a few moments which terrified me.

Though I think this probably isn't a phobia or trauma, I do think that this is the most likely area to finding ideas of what I could be because I don't want to give up on my dream just because of some uncomfortable feeling.

Thanks

Tuppence.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Additional information can be provided if necessary.
  • Posted

You need to desensitise your fears and this if it has come from Childhood will need some treatment to move you on from when you were so young.

I went through a bad time at six weeks and had a quite dangerous operation at that time in the 50s. My Mother told me I had been a child who picked up all the various coughs and deseases, throughout my early life. This frightened me and I became frightened of White lab coats. Iam a Pensioner now and I still need sedation for dental and various hospital tests. This line of treatment can be very difficult to treat and can take a time to put right. Personally I feel most can be cured and hopefully all will sort out. You need to talk to your GP and arrange some treatment as there may be some PTSD in there that will need to be looked into.

Go and talk to your GP and explain your problem, there are ways to sort this although we are not Doctors, we only advise and support

You know where we are as you discuss your fears and will support where needed. If needed PM me if you want

Good Luck

Keep a Hold

BOB

• Posted

Hello Bob, sorry for replying late.

I will speak to my mother and see if she is able to arrange a visit. Though I spoke to her about it before she is also unsure of it and we had both labelled it as a reaction to a phobia.

Soon I have a work experience placement at a vets that I am considering doing first and visiting my GP if it plays up too much. Would you say this is advisable?

Hopefully I will be able to eventually dismiss this soon.

Many thanks and have a good day.

• Posted

A vet tech or a vet? Because on does require full medical schooling and this issue will need to be desentized and resolved. I will tell you once you begin hands on and rotations you will know if you can continue this chosen path or not. Youll know after a year at best. Some end up leaving the schooling, it happens. Maybe get a part time job or internship at a vets office, hospital or even a rescue place. Keep yourself around it. Usually the more you are hands on and see it and understand it all it should desensitize you. you do need a strong stomach per say to work in any medical field of choice. 
    • Posted

What you are feeling is empathy. Google first year med students and being quesy it will take you through many a person experinces and  some tricks to help you. My friend used to tell me stories, not always what i wanted to hear haha but he had many stories. This isnt uncommon.
    • Posted

Hello, sorry for replying late.

Ideally I would like to be a vet, I managed to get a placement at a nearby vets for work experience. Though this is only for a week, it should hopefully begin to help me further consider whether this is right for me.

I'm not sure that my course would currently allow me to accommodate time for a part time job. (Due to me not currently having transport and it being in an inconvenient location. When I am able to move freely I will try and do as you suggested.

I'll take a look at the experiences now and see what other people have written, I have an older sibling in the medical field who I may be able to ask as well.

Many thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.