trazodone side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,  I have been on trazodone for the past 3 months and seem to be getting on with it at the moment.  My anxiety has lessened but am still more miserable than happy....thing is...for the last couple of weeks i have been experiencing fluttering and twitches in my legs and wondered if anyone else has had this as an effect of the drug....its staring to get on my nerves now but was wondering if this normal or not.

Many thanks for any responses.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

2nd day on them i was on citalapram but now on trazadone im getting shakiness loss of breath and slurred speech like im drunk sort of thing
  • Posted

Hi Shabz

I was reading on this site about restless leg syndrome today and it sounds as if this could be part of your problem.  It can be a side effect of a lot of the psychotropic drugs we take.  I was taking chlorpromazine (an anti-psychotic) at one time and felt exactly like you described.  So I told my gp and he found me an alternative med that didn't do that to me.

Are you finding any addiction problems with the trazodone?  I'm told that can be a problem but I've no personal experience of it.

I'm also taking citalopram and I did feel a bit weird for while at first but it all passsed off after a while and now works brillinatly for me.

Hope you feeling OK today

Lizzie xxxx

• Posted

Hello there I'd like to describe my nightmarish of a hell with trazodone first let's start by saying I went almost 3 yes being miss diagnosed telling me I need to see a psychiatrist over and over again well here it turns out I have tropheryma whipplei disease no one believed me they all thought I was crazy I worked as a respiratory therapist in a Philadelphia hospital for 10 yrs until I got so sick from this that I couldn't work losty careery wife my kids and my life. I was on remeron for sleep started low then had to increase to max dose before long then was switched to trazodone which worked for a few weeks same thing after a while lost complete ability to sleep not a wink for days on end. The trazodone left me with a horrible hangover feeling I had convulsions in my sleep my heart would race and my skin would start burning all over my body like it was on fire. Trazodone for whipples disease is the worst possible thing you can take it flares up everything oh and the worst anxiety with it too when it's suppose to be an anxiolyt medication. Def scary stuff for someone like me. I've lost complete sleep/wake cycle now been up for almost a week straight now I never get tired and never crash or fall asleep at all. This disease is one of the worst things I've ever been through and I'm only 36 yes old I have two young kids who are 2 and 6 and I believe I passed this to them my wife and kids and other members in both of our families. You can die from this if it's not diagnosed and treated timely and properly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.