Trepezium bone removal in three weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

After a successful bone fusion of the left thumb the right hand surgery did not work as well. I am scheduled for the removal of the trepezium in three weeks. I had the plate removed from my right thumb fusion 2 months ago and since then I have developed painful tennis elbow. Has anyone else had this particular issue after fusion surgery? I really hope that this third surgery does the trick but I am not looking forward to another lengthy period of painful recovery. I hope that eventually I will be able to use my dominant hand without too much discomfort. I feel for all of you who have had to go through any of these procedures.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Spookze9,

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. Three surgeries? You sound like me with my foot.  I sure hope I do not have to do that with my hand.  Eeks. Did anyone say why you had to have 3 surgeries?  This is all new to me.  I was just recently told I needed surgery.  Going for a second opinion to a different doctor to see what other surgical options are available.  Looking for the end of Nov.

Good luck

• Posted

Well KavonK,

The first surgery was a fusion. The second was to remove the fusion plate that was causing pain after three months. Unfortunately, a month later the pain was still present with the added problem of tendon pain in my elbow, possibly the one that connects the wrist to the elbow. On the latest X-ray there is eveidence of a bone spur and the wrist bone above the trepezium is showing as being very thin and arthritic. The result being that the whole position of the fusion is grinding on the wrist bone above. I have a very good Surgeon who informed me that most of the time the operation is successful but there is the small minority in which the hand does not respond well to a fusion depending on the state of the other bones involved. In my case, the osteoarthritis is more advanced in the right hand. Removing the trepezium is the last option after the fusion.

• Posted

I am so sorry about all your pain.  I watch my sister with hers and she cannot even open up her hand fully but was told she could have surgery but could end up worse.  She has chosen to deal with it.  Unfortunately if is her dominant hand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.