Tried weaning off and not doing well

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was doing really good weaning off the effexor until the end. Now I am back up to 75 and I am going up to 112.5 tonight. I am not sleeping and feeling more depressed. I am so frustrated I was down to 18.75 and had a melt down at work getting extremely angry with my boss, not like me at all. So I went back up to 37.5 with the intention of holding there for a bit,but started feeling worse and now more worse. Has anyone had this experience. I am going back to the dr.s this week.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This happened to me the last time I tried to go off of the Ven. But I have decided I will get through this ....this time.  I am upping my intake of water.....and more importantly...exercise.  I tried taking the Omega 6....but it upset my stomach really bad.  I have been on the 37.5 capsules...so cannot cut them up.  I was down to 1 every 4 days....and decided I would try to take it every 5 days....but man...it really made me feel awful.  Had to go to bed in the middle of the day.  Very Very tired.  I also am not sleeping.  But I feel this is a temporary side effect...just like the side effects when first going on the drug.  I also have had anxiety....but did not have anxiety prior to going on ven at the beginning.  Whatever it takes...I am through with it......diet, exercise, and deep breathing.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Debra. I'm sure you don't want to here this but I am glad to hear someone with the same problem. It sounds like you are doing great this time.   I am just so tired of this. I looked back at some of my other posts and I felt great about half way through cutting back. If I can just get a good nights sleep tonight tomorrow will look a lot better. 
    • Posted

if you can, just go to sleep or take a nap when you feel tired.....eventually. your body will adjust...this is a horrible drug......wish I had known this prior to taking it in the first place!!
    • Posted

Hi judy 1959,

I should have mentioned, as Debra did, I found I needed to drink plenty of water in the day and at night. I found venlafaxine makes you very thirsty and drys out your mouth.

I still am getting thirsty and having a dry mouth at night.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Judy1959,

I understand what you are going through as I have recently completely stopped taking Venlafaxine drug. It has taken me a good while to completely come off it. Many times I tried and went back on this awful drug, because of the horrific withdrawal side effects. But you can come off it, it can be done

I had simmilar side effects coming off this drug. I have felt very angry, headaches, flu like symptoms. It is difficult coming off and you are not alone. You need to withdraw very slowly and at your own pace. Speak with your doctor and get their support. The withdrawal side effects do get easier, but you have to go through it.

I can understand you going back on it and dont be hard on yourself. I do not want to tell you what to do but this drug is strong and addictive. Probably the change in dose would affect you and cause the feelings you are having. It will settle down, but as I said if you want to come off Venlafaxine, do it slowly with the awareness that you will have withdrawal side effects and get support from your GP.  These side effects won't last!  I have done it and you will get there. take care and keep me posted to how you are.

I was taking 75mg to begin with and tried different ways to reduce venlafaxine. A psychiatrist had initially prescribed it and wanted me to stay on it for a year. He wanted me to be on a higher dose than 75mg, but I stopped at that dose. I had side effects while taking it, these were tiredness, feelings of nausea, constipation, feeling sick and lost some weight. I wasn't told any of this by the psychiatrist who prescribed it, and when I was withdrawring and getting side effects, he was of no help and didn't have a clue.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I have been back to the Dr. and I am now doing a cross taper from effexor to cipralex.  I am at the begining stages and have not reduced the effexor as yet, now at 112.5, but I am starting to feel better.  No side effects from the cipralex either.  I'm to the point I don't care what I take I just want to feel good again.  It has been a long year so far.

• Posted

Were you successfull Getting off of venflaxine? I hv taken it for 14 yrs and I feel it is causing other problems such as Panic attacks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.