Trigeminal neuralgia diagnosed a week ago on 2nd lot of meds nothing getting rid of pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

What painkillers are the best to take inbetween meds on carbamazepine . Am not functioning well at all

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Painkillers wouldn't help. I was in morphine shots when I was in the hospital with a really bad flare up and it didn't work. How much carbamazepine are you on?

• Posted

Here is where You need to be FIRM with your GP.

Mine was good enough to start somewhere near the maximum dose and once under control lower the dose and fin the happy medium.

Not their preferred method but that doesn't help those with the pain.

I am currently taking 600Mg of ox carbazine 4 times daily along with 200Mg of Lyrica three times a day. I also have a bottle of Oramorph for use for flare ups between the recommended periods of prescribed medications.

They have since identified a cancer in my Parotid Gland (one of the saliva glands) so I will be looking for a fast path to the table as my face is starting to swell now. The same nerves that are associated with TN also travle through that gland.

Untill now I have been treated for TN given the symptoms are virtually the same and the cancer came about after a two year exhaustive search (NHS Style that is)

Press on, RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH and make sure your GP has knowledge of TN or is willing to find out about it.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi , I am on 300mg so take 1 tablet 3 times per day , also taking ibobrufen 400mg 3 times per day , still having immense pain , am at my wits end with it , read so much about it , it's quite frightening what it is

• Posted

Did the carbamazepine not work for you because I'm about to try it cause oxcarbazepine quits working for me

• Posted

In my case both worked just the ox version has fewer side effects.

This is the problem with TN, what works for one person does not for others. You need a GP that LISTENS and is prepared to become skilled in treating TN. Looking around I see TN and ATN, and TN1, and TN2, and ParaTN and even more. No wonder confusion reigns even with the experts.

• Posted

It's not working as yet , I have upped my dose to 3 times per day so taking 300 mg of this carbamazepine

• Posted

I am on 1200Mg a day now. 4 x 300Mg and that JUST keeps it under control. I believe that is the maximum recommended and the 4 times a day is the maximum times per day as well.

Don't be afraid, be guided by your doctor but if what he offers doesn't work get on his case and ask for more. Check out the manufacturers maximum dosage also the different medical authorities in your country for their recommendations too.

• Posted

My neurologist gave oxcarbazepine it work for awhile and then quit at 3 months my pain came back fully I up my dose and then dropped it an through in gabapentin. After well I got off oxcarbazepine to try carmazepine but was nervous to try it but I still have my pain through on the gabapentin by its self
    • Posted

It's not working as yet still in a lot of pain , feeling like a zombie too

• Posted

The gabapentin works but I can stil feel l the pressure and some nerve pain on my forehead I've thinking of getting off the gabapentin an trying the carbamazepine but I'm cautious. Hopefully yours will start working if not call you gp

• Posted

Hopefully , if not going back to docs on Monday, pain is the worst I have ever experienced
    • Posted

Well yes I strill get the odd flash of pain even with the medication. Very hard to stop all of the pain all of the time. Getting it to the bearable stage is usually the best of both worlds.
    • Posted

I'm experiencing some pain in my face a little tingling with pressure and some Pain in my face it's bearable but sometimes it flares up an it's stabbing in middle of my forehead

• Posted

I would I was in a world of pain for 2 weeks finally I took some left over gabapentin
    • Posted

Have you asked your Dr about adding in other meds to help controls the pain, finding the right combination takes a while and can be very frustrating and painfull.   I have been on carbamazepine and Gabapentine and Lamotrogine for a few years and that held things great but over the past 9 months the pain has been braking through so I have to get my meds re assessed.    But do look at combining some meds and you will also find that you will be able to cope with life easer, also some people are put on anti depressants as they are a muscle relaxant.     Get some advice, it's your pain and Nobody knows your pain like you do.   

• Posted

I was on oxcarbazepine but I had a little of muscle pain and some arm pain as a side effect an i was also taking gabapentin an it helped alot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.